Scott Vernon

Yes Dad. I just realized it when I was closing up the boat and
couldn't get it out. It was raining so I didn't mess with it.

I'll still leave it in while sailing.

Scotty

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
You need to get that fixed!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
the lock has failed. I can't get the handle out.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Ummm... well, if the lock fails or the winch handle works its way

out of the
winch (which I've seen happen), you'll lose the winch handle and

the
line
will go in the water. Also, if someone trips and lands on the

winch
handle,
that will ruin his or her vacation. I'd rather have a cracked rib

on
the
winch than be impaled by the handle.

I hope that helps!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
why?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
You also might want to consider taking the line off the winch

handle
and the
stowing the handle someplace besides the winch.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
I hadn't winched up the halyard cause the wind was so light.

did
later on.

Scotty

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in

message
What's up with the main near the gooseneck? Doesn't look

right.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Crap! I forgot the pics in the first post.

I've always said that Fall is the best time to sail the
Chesapeake
Bay. I had some absolutely beautiful weather, and only

had
sail
in
rain twice, for less than an hour each time. great winds,

too.
Here's
a log book style trip report;

Oct. 3 - Sunday, needed four dock carts to carry all the

'junk'
the
boat. Met a guy who was crying because his wife had sold

his
boat.
Sad! Very light wind, made only 2 miles and decided to

anchor.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG

Oct. 4 - Monday, weigh anchor 1000, light wind, picked up

in
afternoon. nice sunny day. Lost hat, did MOB drill and
recovered
it.
Anchored in Selby Bay, 2130 (39 NM) Good first day.

Oct. 5 - Tue. NOAA calling for 20-25 kt wind. yeehaw! Up
anchor
1000.
See sailboat heeled over hard on sand bar, get too close

while
looking, ground on bar. Sheet in tight, heel over , get

free.
How
embarrassing. Wind was around 20, South. made for a

tiring
downwind
ride trying to counter steer the large following waves.

Arrive
at
Solomons Island , press starter button, ...nothing. The

main
battery
cable broke off above the terminal end. Jump with spare

wire
get
started, anchor at 1630. (45 NM)

Oct. 6 - Wed., Fix cable end, weigh anchor 1100.

moderate,
5-10
wind.
Gorgeous day. Got chased off of firing range by a Navy

boat.
At
sundown saw a shore side house burn down. Anchor in

Smith
Creek,
off
the Potomac River 2100. (39 NM)

Oct. 7 - Thur., Slept till noon! Pull anchor 1400. Very

little
wind.
Picked up nicely after sunset. Was one of those perfect

nights
for
sailing, nice breeze, billions of stars out, sailed

till
0100
Fri.
morn. Tied up to work dock on Tangier Island (VA). (35

NM)

Sunset;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/639756.JPG
Tangier Island;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/sbvernon/73220.JPG

Oct. 8 - Fri., If you look up the word 'quaint' in the
dictionary,
there should be a pic of Tangier Island. friendly folk.
Decided
get a slip ($20, includes elect. water, showers) and

tourist
it
up
for
the day.

Wonder who's buried here;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/734565.JPG

Oct. 9 - Sat., Leave slip 0945. Light wind, but another
gorgeous
day.
Arrive Onancock VA, 1400. Hook up with Mundo (of asa

fame)
and
visit
for the day. (12 NM)

Oct. 10 - Sunday, leave dock 0900, wind blowing 15-20

North,
want
to go north. Big waves. bury the bow 3 times, 2 rouge

waves
break
on
the beam and I'm soaked. Luckily it was still warm out.

wild
ride.
Can't make much north progress. Duck into Great Wicomico

River
and
up
the Cockrell Creek to anchor. (46 NM)

Oct. 11 - Mon., NOAA calling for the winds to die down

some
later
in
the day, I wait till 1500 to pull out. Was a good

decision.
Arrive
Smith Creek at 2400 (36 NM)

Oct. 12 - Tue., Weigh anchor 0800 , 10-15 North winds

again.
Sail
into Little Choptank River and up Hudson Creek, drop

anchor
0100.
(69 NM)

Oct. 13 - Wed., Calling for rain in the afternoon.

Weigh
anchor
0730, Sun and clouds, rained for an hour , then sunny

again.
Nice
wind. Arrive Annapolis 1500. Meet up with 'old' friends.

(35
NM)

Oct. 14 - Thur., Sail out to watch the Schooner Race with

Haggy
and
Mr. Hag as crew. Perfect day for a sail. Some really

great
looking
schooners.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/124025.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/340688.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/202096.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/982666.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/497594.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/868810.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/505576.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/827120.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/235312.JPG

Oct. 15 - Fri., hang out in Annapolis

Oct. 16 - Sat., Calling for 20 kts sustained with gusts

30,
BUT
from the south. I'm headed north. leave 1000, making

6-6.5
knots
hitting 7.7 surfing down waves. Arrive at home slip,

Middle
River,
1500. (29 NM)

The last half mile was sad as I realized it was coming to

an
end.
Great weather, great sailing.

What a great 2 weeks!

Scotty

Scott Vernon

where?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
It's not a good way. A good way is to have it properly stowed.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Why? is a good question. For a layout that brings all lines back

to the
Cockpit, that is a good way to keep loose line out of the way

That is a neat layout of winches. How about telling us about them,
Scotty?

Ole Thom

Scott Vernon

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote ...
Thom, you're not thinking clearly. If you're sailing and you need to
start the engine, then you discover there's a line in the water, you

would take it out of the water?

DSK

Scott Vernon wrote:
Yes Dad. I just realized it when I was closing up the boat and
couldn't get it out. It was raining so I didn't mess with it.

You can fix it the Boobsie way... unbolt it, tell the insurance company
it was stolen, then sell it on Ebay. Buy a new winch & winch handle.

DSK

Scott Vernon

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Scott Vernon wrote:
Yes Dad. I just realized it when I was closing up the boat and
couldn't get it out. It was raining so I didn't mess with it.

You can fix it the Boobsie way... unbolt it, tell the insurance

company
it was stolen, then sell it on Ebay. Buy a new winch & winch handle.

Nah, I'm not that low.

The thumb lever moves but it doesn't unlock. Guess I will have to
take the winch apart?

Scotty

Horvath

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:40:36 -0400, "Scott Vernon"
wrote this crap:

the lock has failed. I can't get the handle out.

Then the terrorists have won.

katysails

Sounds like a great fall trip, Scotty.....glad the weather held for you...
"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
I've always said that Fall is the best time to sail the Chesapeake
Bay. I had some absolutely beautiful weather, and only had to sail in
rain twice, for less than an hour each time. great winds, too. Here's
a log book style trip report;

Oct. 3 - Sunday, needed four dock carts to carry all the 'junk' to the
boat. Met a guy who was crying because his wife had sold his boat.
Sad! Very light wind, made only 2 miles and decided to anchor.

Oct. 4 - Monday, weigh anchor 1000, light wind, picked up in
afternoon. nice sunny day. Lost hat, did MOB drill and recovered it.
Anchored in Selby Bay, 2130 (39 NM) Good first day.

Oct. 5 - Tue. NOAA calling for 20-25 kt wind. yeehaw! Up anchor 1000.
See sailboat heeled over hard on sand bar, get too close while
looking, ground on bar. Sheet in tight, heel over , get free. How
embarrassing. Wind was around 20, South. made for a tiring downwind
ride trying to counter steer the large following waves. Arrive at
Solomons Island , press starter button, ...nothing. The main battery
cable broke off above the terminal end. Jump with spare wire to get
started, anchor at 1630. (45 NM)

Oct. 6 - Wed., Fix cable end, weigh anchor 1100. moderate, 5-10 wind.
Gorgeous day. Got chased off of firing range by a Navy boat. At
sundown saw a shore side house burn down. Anchor in Smith Creek, off
the Potomac River 2100. (39 NM)

Oct. 7 - Thur., Slept till noon! Pull anchor 1400. Very little wind.
Picked up nicely after sunset. Was one of those perfect nights for
sailing, nice breeze, billions of stars out, sailed till 0100 Fri.
morn. Tied up to work dock on Tangier Island (VA). (35 NM)

Oct. 8 - Fri., If you look up the word 'quaint' in the dictionary,
there should be a pic of Tangier Island. friendly folk. Decided to
get a slip ($20, includes elect. water, showers) and tourist it up for
the day.

Oct. 9 - Sat., Leave slip 0945. Light wind, but another gorgeous day.
Arrive Onancock VA, 1400. Hook up with Mundo (of asa fame) and visit
for the day. (12 NM)

Oct. 10 - Sunday, leave dock 0900, wind blowing 15-20 North, I want
[...]

Oct. 16 - Sat., Calling for 20 kts sustained with gusts to 30, BUT
from the south. I'm headed north. leave 1000, making 6-6.5 knots
hitting 7.7 surfing down waves. Arrive at home slip, Middle River,
1500. (29 NM)

The last half mile was sad as I realized it was coming to an end.
Great weather, great sailing.

What a great 2 weeks!

Scotty

Scott Vernon

Is anyone surprised that binary billspit thinks winch handles are made
by the boat builder?

bwahahahah

SV

wrote:

the lock has failed. I can't get the handle out.

Is anyone surprised that a cheap Siedelmann has broken down

equipment, and the
lubber who bought it doesn't belive in proper maintenence to at

least keep it
operational to it's miserably limited abilities?

As the trolls would say, YAWN!

BB

Scott Vernon

won what?