Jonathan Ganz

Assuming you noticed. If it's an emergency, you might not notice until it
was too late. Also, it's pretty lubberly to have a line trailing in the
water when you don't intend to trail a line.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote ...
Thom, you're not thinking clearly. If you're sailing and you need to
start the engine, then you discover there's a line in the water, you

would take it out of the water?

Jonathan Ganz

There are several solutions. We typically coil the line around an unused
winch or
put it in a bag designed for that. Or, some boats have tie downs for that
purpose.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
where?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
It's not a good way. A good way is to have it properly stowed.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Why? is a good question. For a layout that brings all lines back

to the
Cockpit, that is a good way to keep loose line out of the way

That is a neat layout of winches. How about telling us about them,
Scotty?

Ole Thom

Scott Vernon

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There are several solutions. We typically coil the line around an

unused
winch

but what if the line fell off the winch and into the water, then, when
you start your engine??????

[...]

Scott Vernon

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Assuming you noticed. If it's an emergency, you might not notice

until it
was too late. Also, it's pretty lubberly to have a line trailing in

the
water when you don't intend to trail a line.

I agree. That's why I coil mine and hang it on a winch handle where it
is safe and secure.

Scotty

RICHARD

Great Photos Scotty ,,,,, thanks.

Scott Vernon

wrote

Is anyone surprised that binary billspit thinks winch handles are

made
by the boat builder?

The boat builder didn't manufacture much besides the hull and some

parts of the
interior. The rest of the boat is basically what the builder

selected from other
suppliers to meet a price point,

and C&C doesn't do this?

which is why your Seidlemann is loaded down
with the cheapest gear that could be found.

OH, Lewmar winches are cheap gear?

Bobsprit

which is why your Seidlemann is loaded down
with the cheapest gear that could be found.

OH, Lewmar winches are cheap gear?

Among the lowest cost winches at that time, yes.

RB
Joe

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
Crap! I forgot the pics in the first post.

Hey Scotty Great sounding and looking trip.
I agree that fall is the best time of year to sail.

Did you ever get out of the site of land?

Is mundo really a bully and an ass?

Hows Seahags wooden project going?

I just got back from a road trip. Went to Oklahoma and bought a 1961
Ford Econoline pickup that was sitting in a barn since 81. It was a
bitch on the highway with the granny gears.... 500 miles at 53
MPH..But hey nothing is going to catch it in the 1/4 mile run. Still
all original.. even the paint.

http://www.lovefords.org/galleries/m...ry_special.jpg

I seem to remember you have a classic truck right?

Joe

I've always said that Fall is the best time to sail the Chesapeake
Bay. I had some absolutely beautiful weather, and only had to sail in
rain twice, for less than an hour each time. great winds, too. Here's
a log book style trip report;

Oct. 3 - Sunday, needed four dock carts to carry all the 'junk' to the
boat. Met a guy who was crying because his wife had sold his boat.
Sad! Very light wind, made only 2 miles and decided to anchor.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG

Oct. 4 - Monday, weigh anchor 1000, light wind, picked up in
afternoon. nice sunny day. Lost hat, did MOB drill and recovered it.
Anchored in Selby Bay, 2130 (39 NM) Good first day.

Oct. 5 - Tue. NOAA calling for 20-25 kt wind. yeehaw! Up anchor 1000.
See sailboat heeled over hard on sand bar, get too close while
looking, ground on bar. Sheet in tight, heel over , get free. How
embarrassing. Wind was around 20, South. made for a tiring downwind
ride trying to counter steer the large following waves. Arrive at
Solomons Island , press starter button, ...nothing. The main battery
cable broke off above the terminal end. Jump with spare wire to get
started, anchor at 1630. (45 NM)

Oct. 6 - Wed., Fix cable end, weigh anchor 1100. moderate, 5-10 wind.
Gorgeous day. Got chased off of firing range by a Navy boat. At
sundown saw a shore side house burn down. Anchor in Smith Creek, off
the Potomac River 2100. (39 NM)

Oct. 7 - Thur., Slept till noon! Pull anchor 1400. Very little wind.
Picked up nicely after sunset. Was one of those perfect nights for
sailing, nice breeze, billions of stars out, sailed till 0100 Fri.
morn. Tied up to work dock on Tangier Island (VA). (35 NM)

Sunset; http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/639756.JPG
Tangier Island;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/sbvernon/73220.JPG

Oct. 8 - Fri., If you look up the word 'quaint' in the dictionary,
there should be a pic of Tangier Island. friendly folk. Decided to
get a slip ($20, includes elect. water, showers) and tourist it up for
the day.

Wonder who's buried here;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/734565.JPG

Oct. 9 - Sat., Leave slip 0945. Light wind, but another gorgeous day.
Arrive Onancock VA, 1400. Hook up with Mundo (of asa fame) and visit
for the day. (12 NM)

Oct. 10 - Sunday, leave dock 0900, wind blowing 15-20 North, I want
to go north. Big waves. bury the bow 3 times, 2 rouge waves break on
the beam and I'm soaked. Luckily it was still warm out. wild ride.
Can't make much north progress. Duck into Great Wicomico River and up
the Cockrell Creek to anchor. (46 NM)

Oct. 11 - Mon., NOAA calling for the winds to die down some later in
the day, I wait till 1500 to pull out. Was a good decision. Arrive
Smith Creek at 2400 (36 NM)

Oct. 12 - Tue., Weigh anchor 0800 , 10-15 North winds again. Sail
into Little Choptank River and up Hudson Creek, drop anchor 0100.
(69 NM)

Oct. 13 - Wed., Calling for rain in the afternoon. Weigh anchor
0730, Sun and clouds, rained for an hour , then sunny again. Nice
wind. Arrive Annapolis 1500. Meet up with 'old' friends. (35 NM)

Oct. 14 - Thur., Sail out to watch the Schooner Race with Haggy and
Mr. Hag as crew. Perfect day for a sail. Some really great looking
schooners.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/124025.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/340688.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/202096.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/982666.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/497594.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/868810.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/505576.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/827120.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/235312.JPG

Oct. 15 - Fri., hang out in Annapolis

Oct. 16 - Sat., Calling for 20 kts sustained with gusts to 30, BUT
from the south. I'm headed north. leave 1000, making 6-6.5 knots
hitting 7.7 surfing down waves. Arrive at home slip, Middle River,
1500. (29 NM)

The last half mile was sad as I realized it was coming to an end.
Great weather, great sailing.

What a great 2 weeks!

Scotty

Scott Vernon

"Joe" wrote

Hey Scotty Great sounding and looking trip.
I agree that fall is the best time of year to sail.

Yes sir, best sailing and sleeping weather!

Did you ever get out of the site of land?

No. Had to scrap that plan. Maybe next year.

Is mundo really a bully and an ass?

No, he's a sweetheart of a guy, fed me and even did my laundry for me.

Hows Seahags wooden leg project going?

Not so good, evertime she's just about done with it, the dog carries
it off and buries it, or drops it in the water.

I just got back from a road trip. Went to Oklahoma and bought a

1961
Ford Econoline pickup that was sitting in a barn since 81. It was a
bitch on the highway with the granny gears.... 500 miles at 53
MPH..But hey nothing is going to catch it in the 1/4 mile run. Still
all original.. even the paint.

http://www.lovefords.org/galleries/m...ry_special.jpg

I seem to remember you have a classic truck right?

Ugh! those things are UGLY. There's one around here, I thought the
guy made it himself from an Econoline van. I have a '53 Chevy PU.
Haven't touched it since I got the boat.

Scotty

Stephen Stephano

Hey Scott,
It was great getting up with you. Could not make it up for the schooner race
start. Way too much going on here.

--
Mundo
"The Captain who is a bully and an ass"