jlrogers

Default how a sail works, who can help me explain?

Boy, are you gonna be happy.

"PIM" wrote in message ...
I just translated my dutch website about sail theory into English.
English is not my first language, so if someone can help me to make it
easier to read and help with some nautical words,
that would make me happy.

Horvath

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:32:51 +0200, "PIM" wrote
this crap:

I will not include the latest theories of what deck gun is best.

Wuss.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Beers!
Simple Simon

The leeward side of a sail is the side that is convex as opposed
to the windward side which is the side that is concave.

The convex side of the sail or the leeward side directs the air
over a longer path. This longer path for the air lowers the pressure
because said air must move faster to cover the increased cord.
Faster flow equals lower pressure. This low pressure combined
with the normal or slightly increased pressure on the windward
side is what creates lift.

"Oz1" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:15:31 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

A very naive explanation of how a sail works, indeed!
Why igore what happens on the leeward side of the sail?

OK Cappy, you dropped the hint, now tell us what happens on the
leeward side of the sail....first you'd better explain which is the
leeward side!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Wally

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

The convex side of the sail or the leeward side directs the air
over a longer path. This longer path for the air lowers the pressure
because said air must move faster to cover the increased cord.

Shouldn't that be "chord"?

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

Simple Simon

I think you should do a little research into Bernouilli and Venturi.

"PIM" wrote in message ...

"Simple Simon" wrote
The convex side of the sail or the leeward side directs the air
over a longer path. This longer path for the air lowers the pressure
because said air must move faster to cover the increased cord.
Faster flow equals lower pressure. This low pressure combined
with the normal or slightly increased pressure on the windward
side is what creates lift.

Dear Simon,
I am not neglecting what happens on the leeward of the sail,
the leeward of the sail is also deflecting air and thereby creating lift.
as I am explaining in www.sailtheory.com/sail.html

According the "longer path theory" you use it would not matter how
much you pull your sail in, since there is always the same difference
in pathlength between windward and leeward.
Please read www.sailtheory.com/wrongtheory.html for more examples
why it is wrong.

The "longer path theory" is not easy to use and is wrong.
It is the reason I started my site.
Clearly I am not clear enough at this point

Many agree with me that the longer path theory is wrong:
jeff raskin:
http://tinylink.com/?RD9ntJyTuz
university frankfurt (under 2.2)
http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt..../MIS/mis6.html
University of washinton:
http://www.aa.washington.edu/faculty/eberhardt/lift.htm
Bill beaty:
http://www.amasci.com/miscon/miscon4.html#wing

And so do the most aerodynamicists as far as I know.

I tried to adjust above theories from a wing into a sail.

Best Regards

Pim

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

jlrogers

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but PIM is correct. Lift is to air as buoyancy is to water.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message ...
I think you should do a little research into Bernouilli and Venturi.

"PIM" wrote in message ...

"Simple Simon" wrote
[...]

Wally

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

The convex side of the sail or the leeward side directs the air
over a longer path. This longer path for the air lowers the pressure
because said air must move faster to cover the increased cord.

Shouldn't that be "chord"?

Yea man!

The chord is a straight line, not the curved part that the air moves faster
over.

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

PIM

"Simple Simon" wrote:
I find your sources leave somewhat to be desired. Most
can't even spell Bernouilli. Some experts!!!

You are right about that, many people have problems spelling "bernuli" ;-)
Does a wrong spelling makes their theory wrong?
I hope not, because my spelling is really worse. :-)

It are not my real sources of course, just what I could find online, and
that made any sense to me.
(although Jeff raskin inspired me to look up the Coanda effect)

I think you can also find several links supporting "the longer path theory"

Best Regards,
Pim

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
PIM

"Simple Simon" wrote
This longer path for the air lowers the pressure
because said air must move faster to cover the increased cord.

The air does not need to speed up to cover the extra length.

When you take a longer way to go home home,
you will just come home later!

same goes for water in a garden hose.
The length of the garden hose does not influence the speed through it.
Diameter and water flow is of importance.
(ok, a really long hose will have so much resistance that the flow will
drop)

Best Regards,
Pim

--