Seahag

I have seen a winch handle, left in on a mast mounted winch, shred a jib:^)
The guy taught sailing at the Naval Academy and was a real screaming skipper
asshole. He told me to leave the handle where it was and shortly there
after hooked the sail on it when we jibed...I was quite pleased:^

Seahag

"Thom Stewart" wrote:
Yeah Scott,

Jon is talking about a Jib winch for a 150 Genny, with a non-locking
winch handle fouled in a sheet line, on a non-tailing winch. Actually
he's never really seen it, just heard about it, somewhere, and taken it
for his own experience.

He is correct though, I have to admit, it is a lot better than a damn
political post.

AND: "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Seahag

Nah, just lash the handles right to the jib sheets, that way they won't
sink!

Seahag

"katysails" wrote in message
Are you kidding??? The winch robbers would get them for sure. You should
always stow them away in your holding tank...that way you can be sure NO
ONE would ever go near them again.

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Scott Vernon wrote:
I've seen winch handles jump out of those 'pockets' , hop over the
coaming and do a backflip over the toerail. . You really should put
them in a locked locker down below.

Are you nuts? Many times I've seen winch handles fall out through the
cracks in the locker door, fly up the companionway and splash right into
the briny deep, lost forever. You should keep them under armed guard in a
bank vault.

DSK

Jonathan Ganz

Get the plastic ones. They float, sort of.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"katysails" wrote in message
Are you kidding??? The winch robbers would get them for sure. You
should always stow them away in your holding tank...that way you can be
sure NO ONE would ever go near them again.

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Scott Vernon wrote:
I've seen winch handles jump out of those 'pockets' , hop over the
coaming and do a backflip over the toerail. . You really should put
them in a locked locker down below.

Are you nuts? Many times I've seen winch handles fall out through the
cracks in the locker door, fly up the companionway and splash right into
the briny deep, lost forever. You should keep them under armed guard in
a bank vault.

DSK

Jonathan Ganz

Great for students... not for my boat though..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"katysails" wrote in message
Are you kidding??? The winch robbers would get them for sure. You
should always stow them away in your holding tank...that way you can be
sure NO ONE would ever go near them again.

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Scott Vernon wrote:
I've seen winch handles jump out of those 'pockets' , hop over the
coaming and do a backflip over the toerail. . You really should put
them in a locked locker down below.

Are you nuts? Many times I've seen winch handles fall out through the
cracks in the locker door, fly up the companionway and splash right
into the briny deep, lost forever. You should keep them under armed
guard in a bank vault.

DSK

Thom Stewart

Ok Jon,

If no one else is going to ask the question, I will.

How did the Lazy Sheet get out of its Car, into the water, back on
board, get forward of the mast and get the handle? Aren't your sheets
long enough to stay rigged when they aren't the working jib? Where the
hell were you and what where you doing while this, so called Lazy Sheet
was so busy splashing in the water, working up wind on its own, working
around the mast, hooking the handle and then with the added weight work
up wind again?

Your explanation should get us past Election Day :^)

And you worry about a handle left in a Halyard Winch----Please!!!! May
I never need tutoring from an instructor like you g

Ole Thom

katysails

I didn't think when I asked that I had to spell the whole question out....he
must run awfully short sheets...also when we tack, we try to keep things
under control and keep some tension on the off line until the last moment so
you don't unintentionally depower before you tack...
"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Ok Jon,

If no one else is going to ask the question, I will.

How did the Lazy Sheet get out of its Car, into the water, back on
board, get forward of the mast and get the handle? Aren't your sheets
long enough to stay rigged when they aren't the working jib? Where the
hell were you and what where you doing while this, so called Lazy Sheet
was so busy splashing in the water, working up wind on its own, working
around the mast, hooking the handle and then with the added weight work
up wind again?

Your explanation should get us past Election Day :^)

And you worry about a handle left in a Halyard Winch----Please!!!! May
I never need tutoring from an instructor like you g

Ole Thom

Jonathan Ganz

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Ok Jon,

If no one else is going to ask the question, I will.

How did the Lazy Sheet get out of its Car, into the water, back on
board, get forward of the mast and get the handle? Aren't your sheets
long enough to stay rigged when they aren't the working jib? Where the
hell were you and what where you doing while this, so called Lazy Sheet
was so busy splashing in the water, working up wind on its own, working
around the mast, hooking the handle and then with the added weight work
up wind again?

Like I said, this happens during classes and very windy days. The sheets
are long enough to get into the water and whip around. They don't need
to "work around the mast." They just need to brush the mast.

And you worry about a handle left in a Halyard Winch----Please!!!! May
I never need tutoring from an instructor like you g

So, you would give so detailed an explanation of everything before it
happens that your students would learn nothing by themselves? I like to get
students to make minor mistakes and use the mistakes as object lessons.

Scout

Scotty,
Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm glad you made it back safe and sound;
sounds like you made a ton of good memories.
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote
I've always said that Fall is the best time to sail the Chesapeake
Bay. I had some absolutely beautiful weather, and only had to sail in
rain twice, for less than an hour each time. great winds, too. Here's
a log book style trip report;

[snip]

Peter Wiley

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:27:45 +1100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:10:26 -0400, "Scott Vernon"
wrote:

Is anyone surprised that binary billspit thinks winch handles are made
by the boat builder?

bwahahahah

SV

The boat builder didn't manufacture much besides the hull and some parts of
the
interior. The rest of the boat is basically what the builder selected from
other
suppliers to meet a price point, which is why your Seidlemann is loaded
down
with the cheapest gear that could be found. I'm surprised the standing
rigging
isn't galvanized.

Hah. In fact galvanised rigging is a fraction of the cost and has
better structural properties than the commonly used 1x19 s/steel
rigging. Still, don't let facts get in your way.

Yeah, its far superior as long as you don't go anywhere with moisture or
salt...
I guess for you that's not much of a problem. So much for your "facts"

Bwahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa. I'd tell you what I do for a living but why
help you look even more stupid than you do already?

PDW