Scout

Default Church & State...

CM,
What superiority complex? Many of us feel under constant attack and
criticism by our lessers. (oh right, that superiority complex).
Anyway, I've never claimed that the U.S. was the only melting pot. But I
don't believe Canada has come anywhere close in volume, regarding
immigrants, nor has she had her infrastructure taxed to accommodate so many
so quickly, for so long. Furthermore, the U.S. has paved the way for much of
your established comforts and freedoms, in much the same way that union
workers make life better for their non-union counterparts. Do you really
suppose Western Europe would have been so easy on the reigns had the U.S.
not given them serious cause to pause? I think the various monarchs went
back and revised their play books after the U.S. Revolution, so as to not
lose all. Of course, that is just my opinion, but I see plenty of evidence
in human behavior to support it.
I think most Americans are happy to have you as a neighbor. We want you to
like Canada, to be proud of Canada, and no offense, but to stay there except
for the occasional friendly visit. We (most of us) like your country, and
with the exception of the incredible rudeness of Quebeckers who visit us
relentlessly and bless us with their pushy, arrogant mannerisms, and who, by
the way, are shining examples of people with attitude for no reason and
superiority complexes, we like you.
Honestly.
Now stop laughing at us or you'll get the evil eye, you know, the look, and
you don't want that do ye?
--
Scout
"Knowing the storm is coming only makes me more nervous."

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
What amazes me is that for some reason you believe the USA is the only
"melting pot" on the planet.

NH_/\)_

yes the country is taking a step backwards, we now have food lines --
which 60min showed last night on TV. The economy is in recession
Biz is dropping like flies. We had a record Bankruptcy after the WTC
got hit. Hope for better days ahead !!

NH_/)_
--------
http://nortech-cs.com/sailusa/index4.htm

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
What amazes me is that for some reason you believe the USA is the only
"melting pot" on the planet.

Anyone with any ability to observe the world around them can see the USA

is no
longer a melting pot. People that come to the USA these days no longer

want to
"melt in" They want their own highway signs because they are too lazy to

learn
the language. In some US towns close to the border Hispanics who have

managed
to get into office have changed the "official" language in the local

schools to
Spanish. Tell me that's "melting in"
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Capt. Mooron

"Capt.American" wrote in message

| 81% of Americans said it should stay.

That says a lot..... none of it beneficial.

| We do not have all the draft dogers and cowards Canaduh has, So whats
| your point?

No ... your supposed right to free speech and superior ethics forced your
own people to leave to find refuge in a country that actually puts your
words into practice.

| How many backwoods Alabama Fanatics are strapping on bombs and blowing
| themselfs up? Just because your from Canaduh and to dumb to see the
| difference dont mean the rest of the world is so stupid.

No that's right... they just teach their kids it's okay to bring guns to
school and kill their classmates, that it's just another day when someone
gets fired and returns to take vengeance, that the government can go into
places and set up training centers like the School of the Americas to train
terrorists, or use trade leverage to rape other countries of their
resources, or supply Israel with cash and weapons to hold a piece of land
they couldn't possibly keep without interference, or to snub the world and
start a war on fabricated evidence. When terrorism is done to people you
consider opponents.. you label the aggressors as "Freedom Fighters" and
supply them with the weapons. Oh yeah you guys are just so friggin'
superior! NOT! You are responsible for some of the worst atrocities and
terrorism on the planet.

CM

Scout

Well said Thom,
btw- I love that story (Fiddler) and cover it with my 12th graders. As Tevya
says, "it's all about balance - we are just trying to not fall off the
roof!"
And you're right, sailing is a great analogy, look how everyone is laughing
at the guy who screws up, but is out there, for all to see, even as he
crashes into a warship or two. He would have been much safer sitting at his
computer and arguing about sailing. I say, look at the courage of this guy,
negotiating, albeit unsuccessfully, with two ships designed to destroy
anything that floats. I'll laugh at him for his dumb mistakes, but I'm
gonna applaud him too.
--
Scout
"Knowing the storm is coming only makes me more nervous."

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Scout,

Your "High wire act" isn't always easy to understand but it isn't new.
The Jews called it; "Fiddler on the Roof" others call it, "Fork in the
road of Life"

You are correct! There must be "Balance"
I wish I knew a good solid answer sometimes but then I do realize that
things do change and right and wrong is a dynamic situation and never,
ever a final solution.

A Sailor should know that better than most people. To get the best
sailing takes constant trimming. You can sail with bad trim and that is
your business but it is best to get the best trim without busting your
ass in the attempt. Isn't that pretty much like LIFE?

And that's enough of that! Quarter after eight in the morning and I got
a new main to teach me my lessons for today. A thermos of coffee, my dog
and I are gone!

Ole Thom

Scout

In college I was privy to a private debate between two of my professors. All
I wanted was to get a form signed but ended up in their office, hearing this
impromptu deliberation (they very nearly came to blows) about whether the
U.S. would have been better off had the Revolution not occurred.
Thanks for the suggestion too, I'll look for the book.
--
Scout
"Knowing the storm is coming only makes me more nervous."

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

Scout wrote:

snip I think the various monarchs went
back and revised their play books after the U.S. Revolution, so as to

not
lose all. Of course, that is just my opinion, but I see plenty of

evidence
in human behavior to support it.snip

See if you can lay hands on a gorgeous little book: Cammager,
Henry Steele and Giordanetti, Elmo (1967) "Was America a mistake?
an eighteenth-century controversy" Harper & Row. Library of
COngress Cat card 67-21563

From the viewpoint of Europe, a mistake it was indeed!!!! And
there was very hasty revision, much good it did the Bourbons.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com

Capt. Mooron

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
| What amazes me is that for some reason you believe the USA is the only
| "melting pot" on the planet.
|
| Anyone with any ability to observe the world around them can see the USA
is no
| longer a melting pot. People that come to the USA these days no longer
want to
| "melt in" They want their own highway signs because they are too lazy to
learn
| the language. In some US towns close to the border Hispanics who have
managed
| to get into office have changed the "official" language in the local
schools to
| Spanish. Tell me that's "melting in"

Explain to me how that never happens in Canada? Maybe since we have an
Official Languages Act??
Everyone here is free to speak their own languages. Some even form schools
to teach in their native tongue. It's just that we don't get threatened by
it....

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Scout" wrote in message
| CM,
| What superiority complex? Many of us feel under constant attack and
| criticism by our lessers. (oh right, that superiority complex).

If you feel it's an attack.... maybe you should try and understand why it's
so constant and focused. It's like you are stepping on someone's foot and
claiming he's screaming at nothing instead of looking down to see what
you're doing.

| Anyway, I've never claimed that the U.S. was the only melting pot. But I
| don't believe Canada has come anywhere close in volume, regarding
| immigrants, nor has she had her infrastructure taxed to accommodate so
many
| so quickly, for so long.

On a per capita basis... that's not correct. I believe the opposite is true.

Furthermore, the U.S. has paved the way for much of
| your established comforts and freedoms, in much the same way that union
| workers make life better for their non-union counterparts.

Pardon Me??? where the hell did you come by that notion? You established
nothing for us... we've done this and not at your discretion, nor
permission. Unions.... Bah! You're unions slipped in where if they hadn't..
other unions could have been formed in Canada.

Do you really
| suppose Western Europe would have been so easy on the reigns had the U.S.
| not given them serious cause to pause? I think the various monarchs went
| back and revised their play books after the U.S. Revolution, so as to not
| lose all. Of course, that is just my opinion, but I see plenty of evidence
| in human behavior to support it.

How can you be so ignorant of Canadian history. We've been a Commonwealth
Country since Inception. There was no revolution here. We appropriated the
BNA legally. We still have close ties with the British Crown.

| I think most Americans are happy to have you as a neighbor. We want you to
| like Canada, to be proud of Canada, and no offense, but to stay there
except
| for the occasional friendly visit. We (most of us) like your country, and
| with the exception of the incredible rudeness of Quebeckers who visit us
| relentlessly and bless us with their pushy, arrogant mannerisms, and who,
by
| the way, are shining examples of people with attitude for no reason and
| superiority complexes, we like you.

Quebecois are out version of Americans... so in effect you can dish it out
but not take it eh?

| Honestly.
| Now stop laughing at us or you'll get the evil eye, you know, the look,
and
| you don't want that do ye?

No.. we don't want to do that... Americans are generally liked up here.
It's your collective behaviour that is a cause for concern. We feel quite
free to point it out to you.. and that's not based out of fear... it's
family.

CM

Bobsprit

What amazes me is that for some reason you believe the USA is the only
"melting pot" on the planet. I beg to differ as Canada is as mixed an ethnic
pool as the USA.

Wrong. The USA has areas like NY, where the concentration of mixed groups is
greater than anywhere else, except for prisons.

RB
Bobsprit

We had a record Bankruptcy after the WTC
got hit. Hope for better days ahead !!

Hope for a better president than Bush.

RB