BoatBanter.com

-   -   Church & State... (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/17073-church-state.html)

Capt. Mooron August 28th 03 03:23 AM

Church & State...

Ya laugh at the idiocy of a nation run by a fanatical Muslim religion like
in Iraq and Iran... then you see the American finger pointers wailing and
praying and rolling on the ground because they removed a Christian religious
monument from a Federal Building!!!

It's beyond ludicrous... it's hilarious. I've been watching it on TV...
I've never seen such fanatic, illogical, religious, red neck, bigoted,
narrow minded, backward assembly of idiots in a long while! The world is
laughing at you.... again!

.... and to top it off.... the 10th commandment is.. thou shall not covet!!!!

CM

Capt. Mooron August 28th 03 03:56 AM

Church & State...

They claimed 78% of the state was opposed to moving a Christian religious
monument.... that in no way indicates a minority. Can't you see how this is
viewed around the world? ... and it is being viewed I assure you. In Canada
we don't seem to have the religious zealots in the numbers you have in the
USA.

Weather you claim that it is representative or not... your own media is
doing more to damage your image than you seem to understand. Other countries
will look at this and see little difference between the Christian Fanatics
and the Muslim Fanatics.

CM

"katysails" wrote in message
Mooron,
Those people are hardly representative of the religious people of the USA.
They, also, are fanatics in their own way.

The census figures for religions in 1989 we
Religions: Protestant 56%, Roman Catholic 28%, Jewish 2%, other 4%, none 10%

Protestant incorporates many different religions, some "catholic" in their
viewpoints (Episcopalian, Lutheran, etc) and then there are the Calvinists
(Presbyterians, Reformed, etc.), and then you have the Baptists and
Methodists and Congregationalists, which are all pretty mainstream. And then
you have the fundamentalists. Isn't it funny, that whenever you see the
word fundamentalist, you can almost always also use the word fanatic? These
people are a small percentage of the religious community, but they shout
loud, shake fist harder, and bully their way through to make their point,
which is unassailable (according to their tenants). There are more
Catholics in the USA then any one other religion. Did you see them out
there sitting on the stone? They didn't. And neither did most of the
Protestants. Stop making over generalizations about loudmouthed boors that
try to foist their ideas and their holy righteousness on everyone else in
the name of God, democracy, and union. Religion really has nothing to do
with this issue at all. These people haven't yet realized that if you
cannot keep the law un your heart, you cannot keep the law in your life.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Thom Stewart August 28th 03 04:46 AM

Church & State...

Hey Mooron,

We can't help how other people view us. That really isn't your problem,
is it?

"The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has limits."
(A.E.)

You better find your limits, don't you think?

Ole Thom

Pony Express August 28th 03 11:56 AM

Church & State...

Ironically the ten commandments belonged to the Jews, so this would be a
Jewish religious monument.
--
----
Steve

katysails August 28th 03 12:41 PM

Church & State...

Mooron,
I would like to remind you that one of the BIG 3 media men, Peter =
Jennings, is Canadian and has always operated in that ABC has operated =
in that manner for a long time....media is media....what they can't see, =
they invent. And yes, there are states that hold the preponderancy of =
fundamentalists....We are also the nation where the majority has elected =
to eliminate prayer in school....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Capt. Mooron August 28th 03 01:50 PM

Church & State...

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
| Hey Mooron,
|
| We can't help how other people view us. That really isn't your problem,
| is it?

Yeah Thom... you can certainly help it... quit acting like tyhe backward
assholes you keep pointing your fingers at.

| "The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has limits."
| (A.E.)
|
| You better find your limits, don't you think?

Genius has no limits.... only an idiot would assume it does... quit acting
like a Idiot!

CM

Scout August 28th 03 02:40 PM

Church & State...

"Capt. Mooron" wrote
It's pathetic you have even one state like that let alone a bible belt....
isn't the separation of church & state part of your basic governmental
basis?

Yes it is. The problem is that line is not always easy for some to see. The
roots of that separation clause are based not so much on the concept that
god and government are mutually exclusive components of a successful
society, but on the history of religious persecution that many
newbie-Americans had endured before coming here. The same world laughing at
us, in large part, is responsible for many of our citizens being here. God
I love irony.
Our founding fathers (your Uncles) believed in the importance of spiritual
responsibility. And why wouldn't they?; if the ostensible benefit of
religion is the promotion of moral behavior, a government would have to be
suicidal to denounce God. It would be counter-productive on just about every
level. But try balancing that with the equally important concept that no one
has the right to say who God is, what s/he/it wants of us (specifically),
what rules it should impose on society at large, how it should influence
national issues, spending, etc. etc. etc., and it's no wonder that we, as a
nation, appear to be constantly imbalanced and unstable, always ready to
fall from the high wire. I'm sure it looks funny from the spectator's
perspective, but that's only because they haven't reached the correct
conclusions about what will happen if that flailing guy falls. I believe the
majority of the world understands our predicament. Though they laugh, they
realize that our fall would start a mosh-pit on a global scale. The laughers
will run, of course, but **** would be flying everywhere (remember when they
blew up that whale on the beach?).
I don't consider us to be a melting pot as much as I do a high-pressure
boiler. We are a smaller version of the whole planet, with no oceans between
us to keep us from fighting. We have it all, people from just about every
culture, religion, ethnicity, tribe, neighborhood, and on and on, with all
that that entails, and we are trying to live together in peace and harmony.
It's gonna take a while to work out the bugs. I'm optimistic, but I think it
will take more than a few hundred years to get it together. If we can't do
it, it won't be any prettier for the rest of the world. How about giving us
a hand?
--
Scout
"Knowing the storm is coming only makes me more nervous."

Flying Tadpole August 28th 03 02:56 PM

Church & State...

Dear Scout,

THe flailing on the highwire is called "re-invention", a
continuing adventure that most outsiders fail to understand. And
it's that very dynamic balancing attempt that really makes the US
"the last, best hope for mankind". And it's no use asking for a
helping hand--almost no-one outside the US understands the
concept of re-invention, and the "hope" side of it they view as
revolting!

Now watch the piranhas boil in my WC bowl...

Flying Tadpole

Scout wrote:

[...]

Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com