Jonathan Ganz

Default Church & State...

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:34:54 +0000, Horvath wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:59:57 GMT, Marc wrote this
crap:

Case in Point. I failed a sixth grade spelling test because I
misspelled "does". My mother, at the time, used a laundry detergent
brand named DUZ.

You failed a spelling test by misspelling one word?

What a strict school!

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!

At least he graduated unlike you.

katysails

If it's beause it has the word "God", then all my money is a
"religious monument."

Pretty appropriate if you worship money....
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Horvath

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:50:32 -0700, Jonathan Ganz
wrote this crap:

At least he graduated unlike you.

Then why do I have these diplomas hanging on my wall?

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!
Bertie the Bunyip

"katysails" wrote in
:

(people) learn the rules of a language much more effectively by
exposure to others who use it correctly

And where, pray tell, are you going to find enough people who use the
language correctly to influence said individuals to follow suit?

Fox?

bertie

Bertie the Bunyip

"katysails" wrote in
:

I just wish US schools would teach their kids
English AND English literature ---blunt hook warning

Why, thye haveing troulbe reading the loading instructions on their guns?

Bertie

They did when Scout and I were kids. English Literature was the
standard for the college prep crowd for first semester senior English
and second semester was World Literature. Freshman year we read and
discussed "Romeo and Juliet", read Richard Llewellyn's book _How Green
Was My Valley_, and _Bleak House_ (Dickens, of course). In Sophomore
year we read "Julius Caesar", _A Tale of Two Cities_, and "Canterbury
Tales" (modern version, but we took a stab at the Chaucerian English
for kicks). In Junior year we studied American Literature exclusively
and read "The Grapes of Wrath", _Silas Marner_, "Uncle Tom's Cabin",
the sermons of Cotton Mather, Henry James' _A Turn of the Screw_,_The
Great Gatsby_, _A Separate Peace_, and of course , Salinger. Senior
year out with "The Merry Wives of Windsor", progressed on to "Taming
of the Shrew" then on to a study of English poetry other than
Shakespeare, some short stories by Somerset Maugham, and independent
reading (I read _Wuthering Heights_) Nowadays, I doubt if they even
read a third of that list unless the kids are lucky enough to have
parents who have inculcated reading as a pleasurable pastime.... --
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should
relax

katysails

In some US towns close to the border Hispanics who have managed
to get into office have changed the "official" language in the local =
schools to
Spanish. =20

Haate to tell you this, but Spanish was here and established long before =
English was.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

we now have food lines --

If you're 48 then you should know that we have always had food lines. =
They have never gone away. We have also had homeless, recessions, =
depessions, and eras of high bankruptcy. BTW, most bankruptcies are not =
business related but personal. They stem from people spending money =
they do not have and then asking the courts to erase it. Guess who =
takes that kick in the butt? You seem very naive.
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

81% of Americans said it should stay.=20

They polled Brazil? They ask Honduras? They voted in Mexico? =20
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

-- the regal moose

We have moose in Michigan... and in Wyoming...and in Montana...Don't =
have to go to Canada to see one...BTW, tey are not regal animals. They =
are kind of sweet in a galumphy sort of way, but very stupid. Eagles =
are regal. Wolves are majectic. Moose are.....bovine....
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com