Bertie the Bunyip

Default Church & State...

"katysails" wrote in
:

I just wish US schools would teach their kids
English AND English literature ---blunt hook warning

Why, thye haveing troulbe reading the loading instructions on their guns?

Bertie

They did when Scout and I were kids. English Literature was the
standard for the college prep crowd for first semester senior English
and second semester was World Literature. Freshman year we read and
discussed "Romeo and Juliet", read Richard Llewellyn's book _How Green
Was My Valley_, and _Bleak House_ (Dickens, of course). In Sophomore
year we read "Julius Caesar", _A Tale of Two Cities_, and "Canterbury
Tales" (modern version, but we took a stab at the Chaucerian English
for kicks). In Junior year we studied American Literature exclusively
and read "The Grapes of Wrath", _Silas Marner_, "Uncle Tom's Cabin",
the sermons of Cotton Mather, Henry James' _A Turn of the Screw_,_The
Great Gatsby_, _A Separate Peace_, and of course , Salinger. Senior
year out with "The Merry Wives of Windsor", progressed on to "Taming
of the Shrew" then on to a study of English poetry other than
Shakespeare, some short stories by Somerset Maugham, and independent
reading (I read _Wuthering Heights_) Nowadays, I doubt if they even
read a third of that list unless the kids are lucky enough to have
parents who have inculcated reading as a pleasurable pastime.... --
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should
relax