Scout

Default Church & State...

All good and true points Taddy, as usual.
As for the "how about giving us a hand" reference, I was being purposefully
ambiguous, hoping my good friend CM will continue to enjoy the laughter, but
will at least consider simultaneously applauding for the terrified
performer.
--
Scout
"Knowing the storm is coming only makes me more nervous."

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message
Dear Scout,

THe flailing on the highwire is called "re-invention", a
continuing adventure that most outsiders fail to understand. And
it's that very dynamic balancing attempt that really makes the US
"the last, best hope for mankind". And it's no use asking for a
helping hand--almost no-one outside the US understands the
concept of re-invention, and the "hope" side of it they view as
revolting!

Now watch the piranhas boil in my WC bowl...

Flying Tadpole

Scout wrote:

"Capt. Mooron" wrote
It's pathetic you have even one state like that let alone a bible

belt....
isn't the separation of church & state part of your basic governmental
basis?

Yes it is. The problem is that line is not always easy for some to see.

The
roots of that separation clause are based not so much on the concept

that
god and government are mutually exclusive components of a successful
society, but on the history of religious persecution that many
newbie-Americans had endured before coming here. The same world

laughing at
us, in large part, is responsible for many of our citizens being here.

God
I love irony.
Our founding fathers (your Uncles) believed in the importance of

spiritual
responsibility. And why wouldn't they?; if the ostensible benefit of
religion is the promotion of moral behavior, a government would have to

be
suicidal to denounce God. It would be counter-productive on just about

every
level. But try balancing that with the equally important concept that no

one
has the right to say who God is, what s/he/it wants of us

(specifically),
what rules it should impose on society at large, how it should influence
national issues, spending, etc. etc. etc., and it's no wonder that we,

as a
nation, appear to be constantly imbalanced and unstable, always ready to
fall from the high wire. I'm sure it looks funny from the spectator's
perspective, but that's only because they haven't reached the correct
conclusions about what will happen if that flailing guy falls. I believe

the
majority of the world understands our predicament. Though they laugh,

they
realize that our fall would start a mosh-pit on a global scale. The

laughers
will run, of course, but **** would be flying everywhere (remember when

they
blew up that whale on the beach?).
I don't consider us to be a melting pot as much as I do a high-pressure
boiler. We are a smaller version of the whole planet, with no oceans

between
us to keep us from fighting. We have it all, people from just about

every
culture, religion, ethnicity, tribe, neighborhood, and on and on, with

all
that that entails, and we are trying to live together in peace and

harmony.
It's gonna take a while to work out the bugs. I'm optimistic, but I

think it
will take more than a few hundred years to get it together. If we can't

do
it, it won't be any prettier for the rest of the world. How about giving

us
a hand?
--
Scout
"Knowing the storm is coming only makes me more nervous."

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com

Flying Tadpole

Hey, any country that can simultaneously produce and keep the
architecture of Vermont, Manhattan and southern California can't
be _all_ wrong! I just wish US schools would teach their kids
english AND english literature ---blunt hook warning

FT
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------

Scout wrote:

All good and true points Taddy, as usual.
As for the "how about giving us a hand" reference, I was being purposefully
ambiguous, hoping my good friend CM will continue to enjoy the laughter, but
will at least consider simultaneously applauding for the terrified
performer.

Scout

haha, I'm working on it - Yeoouchhhhhh! - now my lip hurts!
--
Scout
"Knowing the storm is coming only makes me more nervous."

"Flying Tadpole" wrote
---blunt hook warning

Thom Stewart

Mooron,

That's not my Quote, it is the statement of ole Albert himself that you
are calling an idiot.

I can see that you are acting completely without limits, which does
leave me with little choice for a conclusion. I do believe I'll choice
Albert Einstien, rather than a "Mooron" :^) Sorry

Ole Thom

Capt. Mooron

What amazes me is that for some reason you believe the USA is the only
"melting pot" on the planet. I beg to differ as Canada is as mixed an ethnic
pool as the USA. We have all the religions and a diverse population. You
don't see the type of heat generated here as you do with our Southern
neighbours. Religious beliefs are tolerated and those who practice it are
free to do so to the degree they see fit... within the context of the law.
It seems to me that there is a battle going on in the USA to maintain
Christian beliefs, English as the language and blind patriotism as the
guiding force to the exclusion of all else.

Your basis for the USA melting pot theory in comparison to the Europeans
just doesn't hold water. The immigration of people into Europe from all over
the globe has been and is continuing to change the entire area. It has been
doing so for a while. Maybe due to the diverse languages and cultures that
lived in close proximity for centuries has provided for easier adaptation
and acceptance of other cultures and religions.

My point was that the superiority complex exhibited by many Americans does
not hold up in the light of day... and much of their supposed generosity has
a steep price tag.

CM

> [...]
| culture, religion, ethnicity, tribe, neighborhood, and on and on, with
all
| that that entails, and we are trying to live together in peace and
harmony.
| It's gonna take a while to work out the bugs. I'm optimistic, but I
think it
| will take more than a few hundred years to get it together. If we can't
do
| it, it won't be any prettier for the rest of the world. How about giving
us
| a hand?
| --
| Scout
| "Knowing the storm is coming only makes me more nervous."
|
| --
| Flying Tadpole
|
| -------------------------
| Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!

Thom Stewart

Scout,

Your "High wire act" isn't always easy to understand but it isn't new.
The Jews called it; "Fiddler on the Roof" others call it, "Fork in the
road of Life"

You are correct! There must be "Balance"
I wish I knew a good solid answer sometimes but then I do realize that
things do change and right and wrong is a dynamic situation and never,
ever a final solution.

A Sailor should know that better than most people. To get the best
sailing takes constant trimming. You can sail with bad trim and that is
your business but it is best to get the best trim without busting your
ass in the attempt. Isn't that pretty much like LIFE?

And that's enough of that! Quarter after eight in the morning and I got
a new main to teach me my lessons for today. A thermos of coffee, my dog
and I are gone!

Ole Thom

Capt.American

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
They claimed 78% of the state was opposed to moving a Christian religious
monument.... that in no way indicates a minority.

81% of Americans said it should stay.

Can't you see how this is
viewed around the world? ... and it is being viewed I assure you. In Canada
we don't seem to have the religious zealots in the numbers you have in the
USA.

We do not have all the draft dogers and cowards Canaduh has, So whats
your point?

Weather you claim that it is representative or not... your own media is
doing more to damage your image than you seem to understand. Other countries
will look at this and see little difference between the Christian Fanatics
and the Muslim Fanatics.

How many backwoods Alabama Fanatics are strapping on bombs and blowing
themselfs up? Just because your from Canaduh and to dumb to see the
difference dont mean the rest of the world is so stupid.

CA

CM

"katysails" wrote in message
Mooron,
Those people are hardly representative of the religious people of the USA.
They, also, are fanatics in their own way.

The census figures for religions in 1989 we
Religions: Protestant 56%, Roman Catholic 28%, Jewish 2%, other 4%, none 10%

Protestant incorporates many different religions, some "catholic" in their
viewpoints (Episcopalian, Lutheran, etc) and then there are the Calvinists
(Presbyterians, Reformed, etc.), and then you have the Baptists and
Methodists and Congregationalists, which are all pretty mainstream. And then
you have the fundamentalists. Isn't it funny, that whenever you see the
word fundamentalist, you can almost always also use the word fanatic? These
people are a small percentage of the religious community, but they shout
loud, shake fist harder, and bully their way through to make their point,
which is unassailable (according to their tenants). There are more
Catholics in the USA then any one other religion. Did you see them out
there sitting on the stone? They didn't. And neither did most of the
Protestants. Stop making over generalizations about loudmouthed boors that
try to foist their ideas and their holy righteousness on everyone else in
the name of God, democracy, and union. Religion really has nothing to do
with this issue at all. These people haven't yet realized that if you
cannot keep the law un your heart, you cannot keep the law in your life.

SAIL LOCO

What amazes me is that for some reason you believe the USA is the only
"melting pot" on the planet.

Anyone with any ability to observe the world around them can see the USA is no
longer a melting pot. People that come to the USA these days no longer want to
"melt in" They want their own highway signs because they are too lazy to learn
the language. In some US towns close to the border Hispanics who have managed
to get into office have changed the "official" language in the local schools to
Spanish. Tell me that's "melting in"
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport