Simple Simon

Default Church & State...

Katysails is soooooo naive when it comes to some things.
She's so cute with her little-girl thinking sometimes.

Maybe it can be blamed on her Catholic upbringing or
maybe she's a product of a liberal education system
that sometimes overcomes her conservative, church
programming but, whatever it is, Katysails is a charming
combination of wisdom and naivety.

I like the way she thinks - it's sorta like a well-tuned
engine running on five of its eight cylinders most of the
time while every once in a while all eight kick in.

Katy'd be good for stimulating coversation while in the
eight-cylinder mode and she'd be good for a stimulating
romp in the hay while in the five-cylinder mode (which is
most of the time, btw).

S.Simon

"Capt.American" wrote in message om...
"katysails" wrote in message ...
81% of Americans said it should stay.

That says a lot.....

Yeah...it says he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about....

No it shows what an ass you are.

Read it and weep.

New poll says Americans disapprove of federal court order
Thursday, August 28, 2003 Posted: 12:25 PM EDT (1625 GMT)

(CNN) -- Only one in five Americans approve of the federal court order
under which workers removed the Ten Commandments monument from the
rotunda of Alabama's state judicial building Wednesday, according to a
new poll.

The new CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll found 77 percent of the 1,009
Americans interviewed earlier this week disapproved of U.S. District
Judge Myron Thompson's order to remove the monument.

Thompson ruled that Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore's placement of the
2.6-ton granite edifice in the state building two years ago violated
the U.S. Constitution's principle of separation of religion and
government.

77 percent + or - 3% for errors.

IMHO they are off 3%

See how uninformed you are Katy?

Capt. American

George Tate

"Simple Simon" wrote in
:

Katysails is soooooo naive when it comes to some things.
She's so cute with her little-girl thinking sometimes.

Maybe it can be blamed on her Catholic upbringing or
maybe she's a product of a liberal education system
that sometimes overcomes her conservative, church
programming but, whatever it is, Katysails is a charming
combination of wisdom and naivety.

I like the way she thinks - it's sorta like a well-tuned
engine running on five of its eight cylinders most of the
time while every once in a while all eight kick in.

Katy'd be good for stimulating coversation while in the
eight-cylinder mode and she'd be good for a stimulating
romp in the hay while in the five-cylinder mode (which is
most of the time, btw).

And of course you're pretty much the same ceptin when your single plug gets
fouled.

Bertie
Jonathan Ganz

I guess you never got out of Grade School.

What an idiot.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 04:35:43 +0000, Horvath wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:26:54 -0400, "katysails"
wrote this crap:

In some US towns close to the border Hispanics who have managed
to get into office have changed the "official" language in the local schools to
Spanish.

Haate to tell you this, but Spanish was here and established long before English was.

Only in California.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!

Jonathan Ganz

Yeh sure. And they're NOT in Spanish.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 04:28:28 +0000, Horvath wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:23:53 -0700, Jonathan Ganz
wrote this crap:

Are you thief? Either that or you borrowed them.

They're mine. They got my name on them.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:23:09 +0000, Horvath wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:50:32 -0700, Jonathan Ganz
wrote this crap:

At least he graduated unlike you.

Then why do I have these diplomas hanging on my wall?

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!

Jonathan Ganz

Well, you certainly worship your $3 whore.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 04:27:18 +0000, Horvath wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:17:27 -0400, "katysails"
wrote this crap:

If it's beause it has the word "God", then all my money is a
"religious monument."

Pretty appropriate if you worship money....

That's really silly. How do you worship something that you don't
have?

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!

Frank and Ronnie Maier

Flying Tadpole wrote:
Frank and Ronnie Maier wrote:
snip (I refuse to talk about "literature"...)

A restaurateur is a restaurant runner,
So a litterateur must be some form of garbologist or street
cleaner, yes?

Sounds about right to me. Aren't they also often called the "litterati"?
Bertie the Bunyip

"/etc" wrote in
news
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:01:44 +0000, when the end of the tunnel became
apparent, Bertie the Bunyip posted:

"/etc" wrote in
news
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:49:41 +0000, when the end of the tunnel
became apparent, Bertie the Bunyip posted:

"/etc" wrote in
news
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 02:18:27 +0000, when the end of the tunnel
became apparent, Bertie the Bunyip posted:

"katysails" wrote in
:

(people) learn the rules of a language much more effectively by
exposure to others who use it correctly

And where, pray tell, are you going to find enough people who
use the language correctly to influence said individuals to
follow suit?

Fox?

Awww, bertie, youre doing it again, why not join the
Alcatroll crew ?

Is there a pension?

You get pension from day 1 on. Ask PJR.

Cool. You got a canteen?

We have a fridge and a bar in each office,
and a party at coffee break. Steve Leyland
will pass the bong.

OK, dental plan?

Bertie
Frank and Ronnie Maier

"Scout" wrote:
....snip learn-by-absorption discussion...

katysails replied:
And where, pray tell, are you going to find enough people who use the
language correctly to influence said individuals to follow suit?

Scout, I don't disagree with your basic concept; but Katy's point is
inescapable. All three-year-olds learn to speak without a "formal"
study of grammar. They learn to speak as fluently as their parents,
that is. IMO, judging by what I see, hear, and read in contemporary
society, that ain't exactly competent use of our native tongue. And as
for reading, hah!

If students were to read a range of quality literature, I agree that
they'd pick up (intuit) grammar rules. Mostly. Again, the reality is
that, if they're readers at all, they're mostly reading popular
fiction. You'll pick up grammar from comic books about as well.

Sailing analogies have come into this thread; here's mine. Average
American "Bobsprit" is a sailor. (Stop laughing! I'm trying to make a
point.) He has learned to sail without formal instruction by watching
other sailors. He goes on daysails in his home waters and usually
comes home unscathed.

Now, you're essentially telling me you believe he has achieved
"competence" by watching and aping; he doesn't need formal instruction
in sailing. Sorry but I gotta disagree. Your premise requires/assumes
Bob's had experience with good sailors in a variety of conditions and
that's simply not the case. IMO, Bob needs formal instruction in
sailing. I agree that he then needs to practice/use this abstract
knowledge in the real world. But just imagine it!

I dream of a world in which the average American is fluent in his own
language and Bob is someone I'd leave at the helm unsupervised. Call
me an optimist...

Frank

P.S. FYI, I was very happy with the grammar school my kids were in;
but even so, we've recently taken them out (3rd and 4th grades) to
start homeschooling, well, more precisely, unschooling.
katysails

Well of course we have our problems... but we don't carry on like you =
guys
do and certainly don't allow it to escalate to such a fervor.=20

No, you just all get pie-eyed drunk, fall asleep, and suffer the =
hangover the next day...was always why we liekd visiting the Canadian =
cousins in the summer when we were teens...such unlimited opportunities =
that were not open to us at home....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse