Frank and Ronnie Maier

Default Church & State...

"Scout" wrote:
....snip learn-by-absorption discussion...

katysails replied:
And where, pray tell, are you going to find enough people who use the
language correctly to influence said individuals to follow suit?

Scout, I don't disagree with your basic concept; but Katy's point is
inescapable. All three-year-olds learn to speak without a "formal"
study of grammar. They learn to speak as fluently as their parents,
that is. IMO, judging by what I see, hear, and read in contemporary
society, that ain't exactly competent use of our native tongue. And as
for reading, hah!

If students were to read a range of quality literature, I agree that
they'd pick up (intuit) grammar rules. Mostly. Again, the reality is
that, if they're readers at all, they're mostly reading popular
fiction. You'll pick up grammar from comic books about as well.

Sailing analogies have come into this thread; here's mine. Average
American "Bobsprit" is a sailor. (Stop laughing! I'm trying to make a
point.) He has learned to sail without formal instruction by watching
other sailors. He goes on daysails in his home waters and usually
comes home unscathed.

Now, you're essentially telling me you believe he has achieved
"competence" by watching and aping; he doesn't need formal instruction
in sailing. Sorry but I gotta disagree. Your premise requires/assumes
Bob's had experience with good sailors in a variety of conditions and
that's simply not the case. IMO, Bob needs formal instruction in
sailing. I agree that he then needs to practice/use this abstract
knowledge in the real world. But just imagine it!

I dream of a world in which the average American is fluent in his own
language and Bob is someone I'd leave at the helm unsupervised. Call
me an optimist...

Frank

P.S. FYI, I was very happy with the grammar school my kids were in;
but even so, we've recently taken them out (3rd and 4th grades) to
start homeschooling, well, more precisely, unschooling.