Default Early morning adventures

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:52:57 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Got up at about 4 am this morning because I fell asleep with the TV on and
Keith Olderman's voice droning on and on about Obama's speech woke me up.

Turned on the coffee maker, looked out the window and happened to notice
that several of our outdoor motion detector sensor lights were on, including
those on the old farmhouse at the end of our very long driveway. The
farmhouse is vacant since my mother moved into assisted living, so it was
unusual to see the motion detector sensors had turned the lights on.
Groggy, I figured it was probably an animal .... deer or something that set
them off.

But, then it started to dawn on me that *all* the sensor lights were on.
So, I decided to investigate.

Coffee in hand, I went outside and started walking down the long, 800 foot
driveway towards the old farmhouse. It was still pitch black.... other than
where the lights were shining.

Halfway there, I noticed a moving light at the rear door of the farmhouse
barn. The rear door was open, and the light disappeared into the barn.

I put the coffee cup down and went into stealth mode. Snuck up on the
house, first noting that no car was in the driveway.
So, I quietly snuck around back again and hid behind the trunk of the huge
silver maple tree at the rear of the house.

By this time I am thinking, "This is stupid. What if the person in the
barn is armed?" I looked around in the dark for anything I could use as a
makeshift weapon .... piece of wood .... anything, but there was nothing.

As I pondered the situation, the light re-appeared from the barn. So, I
jumped out from behind the tree and roared as loudly as I could, "What the
hell's going on?" and started moving towards the light, adrenalin pumping.

A voice in the dark replied, "****!" ..... then another voice called out to
me ... Then, out of the dark, two cops, dressed in black, one holding the
lease of a beautiful, but threatening black German Shepard came towards me.

I identified myself as the home owner and had seen unusual lights. Turns
out they were tracking a car thief operating in the neighborhood and the dog
had led them to our property.

Searched all around until dawn, but didn't find him. My heart has finally
stopped racing.

Eisboch

At least you know the sensors are working!

wrote:
Laws aside, I don't think I'd be wanting to get into a gunfight with two
cops.

Quite true, With few exceptions most cops are lousy shots. UD

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Dog was probably attracted to the smelly horses.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:52:57 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

By this time I am thinking, "This is stupid. What if the person in the
barn is armed?" I looked around in the dark for anything I could use as a
makeshift weapon .... piece of wood .... anything, but there was nothing.

Every nearly every farmer has a shotgun, traditionally a 12 gauge
double on nails over the kitchen door, handy to the barnyard and any
chicken hawks. Even in the Soviet Union at its most repressive,
farmers had a shotgun. Better get one. A pump or semiauto is good.

Casady

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:52:57 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

By this time I am thinking, "This is stupid. What if the person in the
barn is armed?" I looked around in the dark for anything I could use as
makeshift weapon .... piece of wood .... anything, but there was nothing.

Every nearly every farmer has a shotgun, traditionally a 12 gauge
double on nails over the kitchen door, handy to the barnyard and any
chicken hawks. Even in the Soviet Union at its most repressive,
farmers had a shotgun. Better get one. A pump or semiauto is good.

Casady

Obviously you didn't read my entire post.
Have one, but thanks for the advice.

Eisboch