RCE

Default Marina recommendations in North Carolina

Mrs.E. has asked me to research and find a winter slip for her GB somewhere
in North Carolina.
(this will be interesting)

Her interest is to take her GB south next fall to a quality marina that can
provide a cursory "watch" on the boat in her absence, has shore power and
cable TV available throughout the winter, and has decent facilities and
amenities. Her plan is to occasionally travel and stay on the boat for a
few days at a time during all but the worst of the winter months. Ideally,
the marina would be located near other points of interest, decent
restaurants, and, of course, shopping centers.

I've searched a few, but, without seeing them first-hand, it's hard to judge
them by website descriptions.
From the website description, Bennet Bros. Yachts/Cape Fear Marina looks
like it's worth investigating and I have emailed them for further
information regarding winter slip availabilities, lease or sale.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,

RCE

DSK

RCE wrote:
I've searched a few, but, without seeing them first-hand, it's hard to judge
them by website descriptions.
From the website description, Bennet Bros. Yachts/Cape Fear Marina looks
like it's worth investigating and I have emailed them for further
information regarding winter slip availabilities, lease or sale.

Bennet Bros is a pretty nice place, a little pricey IMHO but
then it's right in Wilmington. It's also not a good place to
be in a hurricane, but it sounds like you're not planning to be.

A buddy of mine keeps his sailboat right around the corner
from B-B, been thru the place but never stayed there. It
left a good impression.

If it were me, I'd stay in Hampstead but it's a longer drive
to restaurants & theaters etc etc.

There are a couple of good places in New Bern & Elizabeth
City that I have more experience with, also some places to
avoid.

Why not Little River SC or Charleston or the Norfolk area,
just out of curiosity?

Fair Skies
Doug King

RCE

"DSK" wrote in message

If it were me, I'd stay in Hampstead but it's a longer drive to
restaurants & theaters etc etc.

There are a couple of good places in New Bern & Elizabeth City that I have
more experience with, also some places to avoid.

Why not Little River SC or Charleston or the Norfolk area, just out of
curiosity?

Fair Skies
Doug King

She mentioned Elizabeth City. Any specific recommendations there?
Norfolk, if we could find a decent spot, might be a possibility as it would
be near our son, DIL and new grandkid. Other than a transient visit there
on the Navigator, I don't know much about the area.

Come to think of it, the Navy base there has their own marina. It's
probably for retired Admirals or something though.

RCE

DSK

RCE wrote:
She mentioned Elizabeth City. Any specific recommendations there?

I can't recall off the top of my head, but I'll go look.

Norfolk, if we could find a decent spot, might be a possibility as it would
be near our son, DIL and new grandkid. Other than a transient visit there
on the Navigator, I don't know much about the area.

It's a big area. The nicest waterfront IMHO is across the
river in Hampton & Newport News.

Come to think of it, the Navy base there has their own marina. It's
probably for retired Admirals or something though.

No, as I understand it, any retired military personnel has
the right to get a spot. Might be a long wait list, though.
I know that's the case in other areas.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Wayne.B

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 07:24:17 -0500, DSK wrote:

Why not Little River SC or Charleston or the Norfolk area,
just out of curiosity?

The Charleston City Marina is a first class facility and Charleston
has a lot to offer. On the down side, there is a personal property
tax which gets applied to visiting boats after a certain amount of
time and a band of hungry tax collectors to enforce it.

There is a large full service marina north of Beaufort, NC on Adams
Creek but can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.
Wonderful area. We liked Oriental also but the marina we stayed at
(Whittaker Creek) was not full service. There are others however.

Belhaven, NC offers some really nice back country cruising in the
immediate vicinity but I can't speak to the marina question. There is
one there with a web site:

http://www.riverforestmarina.com/marina.htm

Coinjock? :-) 32 oz prime rib every night!

What about Great Bridge, VA? There is at least one large marina there
and it is not far from Norfolk.

RCE

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't know why she mentioned North Carolina,
although there's some really nice places there. On further reflection, I
think somewhere in the Norfolk area would be better. She (we)could visit my
son and daughter-in-law and new grandkid more often. I think I'll
concentrate on this area.

Coinjock? Did they downsize the prime rib? When we were there you could
order a 48 oz. Felt like Fred Flintstone at the dinner table. If we put
the boat there for the winter, I'd have to ship the General Lee down to use
for a daily driver.

RCE

Wayne.B

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 06:42:01 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

I've searched a few, but, without seeing them first-hand, it's hard to judge
them by website descriptions.
From the website description, Bennet Bros. Yachts/Cape Fear Marina looks
like it's worth investigating and I have emailed them for further
information regarding winter slip availabilities, lease or sale.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Here's a question I've never fully considered:

How far south do you need to be before it's safe to leave the boat in
the water without winterizing the engines, water tanks, heads, etc. ?

RCE

Here's a question I've never fully considered:

How far south do you need to be before it's safe to leave the boat in
the water without winterizing the engines, water tanks, heads, etc. ?

The Equator?

I just got a response from Paul Bennett of Cape Fear Marina in Wilmington,
NC. He says the winters are typically mild, but they do have some days when
it drops below freezing. If the boat is heated, I don't see this as a
problem. It would have to get very cold for a long time to freeze any water
in the fresh water tanks or lines in the engine room compartment, I think.
They have many full time live-a-boards there, so it can't be an issue.

10 bucks a foot per month plus electricity. When we were in Scituate I was
paying almost 7k per season (5 months) for the Navigator, but it included
electricity. Cape Fear Marina for 5 months would be around 2,500 bucks plus
maybe 3 or 4 hundred for electricity. Sounds very reasonable, compared to
up here.
The GB, at 36 feet would be even cheaper.

They also have a limited number of slips for sale.

RCE

RCE

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

You may also want to consider this marina. I used to have my boat
slipped there. There is also some information concerning the area.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Ahem. Ah, which marina is that, Gene?
(methinks maybe you hit the "send" too fast)

RCE

UglyDan®©™

It's been awhile since I've been in the area, but if your looking in the
Norfolk area try Willoughby Bay Marina, or Rebel Marine Lane Brigg's
place, He passed away last Sept, but I think one of his son's Jesse or
David runs it now, its not to far off gate's 3a or 4.
Or if you belong to a yacht club (reciprocal moorage?) you could also
try (NYCC) Norfolk Yacht & Country Club on the Lafayette river just off
of Hampton blvd, not too far from the main gate of Norfolk Naval. UD