markvictor

Default Get Home Power

hey Butch,
My first experience with the optimas sold me..I was given two
yellow-tops that had been taken out of an RV that was being sold. They
were dead, so I put a charge on them, and they sat on the ground next
to my shed for 9 or 10 mos. One day I decided to wire up some 12 v.
flourescenrt lights in the shed, I connected a charger but they didn't
pull any amps,Imagine my surprise when my voltmeter showed 12.7
volts..I used them for a couple of mos., then donated them to a friend
with a motorhome in need of house batteries...Last I knew he was still
using them...They seem well suited to the marine apps. due to their
construction, they are not likely to experience the plate breakage from
the bouncing around that can sometimes happen to standard wet cells.
They work for me, anyway...
regards,
markvictor

Wayne.B

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:50:17 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

The ability to switch between and/or parallel battery banks is extremely
useful. But, two banks are required for redundancy. As I'm a belt and
suspenders kind of guy I run twin Optimas for my small outboard and carry a
12 volt jumper package for additional backup.

Be careful with the jumper cables. I know a guy who started a nasty
electrical fire on his sailboat by getting something crossed up in the
heat of battle. I'd much rather have a paralleling solenoid, no
sparks, no mistakes.

Butch Davis

Wayne,

I agree that jumper cables can be dangerous if not used properly. The worst
example I've seen was when attempting to start a 24 volt equipped bulldozer.
In our shop we had a jumping cart with four large 12 volt batteries set up
to provide 24 volts of starting power.

When the mechanic was hooking up the cart batteries the four bulldozer
starting batteries exploded. Made a hell of a mess. Luck was with the
mechanic and he was wearing safety goggles per the shop SOP. Got him under
the shower and he was uninjured.

My jumper battery pack is designed to be hooked up while at zero potential.
When ready to start the outboard the battery pack must be switched on. As
my batteries are in the center console I can turn the pack switch on from
the helm.

Like anything else in boating it's useful to exercise care when jump
starting.

Of course my dual battery setup includes the 1, 2, Off, Both switch. But,
I've seen two dead batteries on boats with the same switch. Murphy don't
you know?

Butch
news
wrote:

The ability to switch between and/or parallel battery banks is extremely
useful. But, two banks are required for redundancy. As I'm a belt and
suspenders kind of guy I run twin Optimas for my small outboard and carry
12 volt jumper package for additional backup.

Be careful with the jumper cables. I know a guy who started a nasty
electrical fire on his sailboat by getting something crossed up in the
heat of battle. I'd much rather have a paralleling solenoid, no
sparks, no mistakes.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:07:44 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

Like anything else in boating it's useful to exercise care when jump
starting.

====================

Always. I think the problems and potential for mistakes tend to be
magnified on boats because of the conditions - frequently cramped,
rolling, spray flying, etc. I find that anything I can do to simplify
operation and avoid mistakes pays off in the long run.

FREDO

Default How 'bout it Krause?

IMHO: Why don't you guys just "Give It A Rest" already. Geez Louise!!!!

WGASA!

He makes the newsgroup more colorful. ;-) As do all of the Left and Right
Wingers in here.
Hey, I guess that makes us all a bunch of "Wingers"

Fredo

"William Bruce" wrote in message
. ..
Hey Krause, my offer stands: Prove to the "reasonable man" standard that
(1) you have a degree from Yale, (2) your wife is a medical doctor, and
(3) that you own a lobster boat and I'll overnight a $10,000.00 check to
the charity of your choice in your name.

How 'bout it?

William