John Wentworth

*JimH* wrote:
BTW Krause............nice job in ruining what was a nice boating thread.

Idiot.

Come on now, don't be so modest; you and a couple other posters should
share in the credit for it. Thanks for your help in making rec.boats
"All Harry, all the time!"

Do you figure you'll ignore Harry for about the same amount of time you
were on the high road? I'll bet you can'r resist replying to his posts,
and I pay my bets almost as well as Harry.
*JimH*

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:02:22 GMT, Don White
wrote:

I asked the same question a week or so ago.
He got upset and ranted how dare I question his wife's condition etc.
Lets see if he gives you a civil truthful answer.

C'mon guys... that just isn't an appropriate place to go. If he's
lying, shame on him.... in any case, shame on you....

I am not lying Gene. Why this ever became a personal issue with my wifes
medical condition is beyond me...especially when they know nothing about the
problems she has to endure.

It actually sickens me that some stoop so low as to bring my wife into
things.

But why am I not surprised?

Jack Redington

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:31:56 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

bb wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:04:59 GMT, Charlie Brown
wrote:

I plan on buying a used boat this winter. I see that Scout boats
don't use wood for construction but rather some composite material
that does not rot. Are there other manufacturers that do the same
thing? In doing my research, it seems that rotten wood is the main
problem with used boats in which repair costs can soar. For this
reason, I'm thinking a small center console scout will suit my needs
best. Has Scout always used this composite material or do some of the
older boats have wood also?

add cape horn and sea strike boats to the list, imo.

bb

Two of the best sal****er lines made, Grady and Parker, use XL ply for
stringers and in the transom. Wood is a wonderful material for boats if
the right kind is used properly.

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so much about
rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.

I'm surprised at that. It's got to be a more expensive alternative to
just making composite stringers.

I am no expert - But I have been looking into replacing our 21 ft cuddy
with a bowrider since our usage has changed. ie we now have a little
place on a lake we like and no longer need the cuddy.

That being said the all-glass vs wood construction topic has my
attention. Our current boat (a 1995 Crownline 210ccr) has glass
encapsolated wood stringers. Wood in the transom, and plywood with resin
w/carpet over the floor in the cockpit. There are not any soft spots or
signs of rot and delamination. It has been stored for most of it's life
on the trailer with not in use and covered with either a mooring cover
or sometimes a just cockpit cover.

Thus I agree that is done correctly, I do not think wood is inherently
evil. But if done incorrectly I am sure it can be a nightmare. One also
has to consider how well you take care of the boat - just like anything
else.

From some of the web pages I have visited ebbtide has a interesting
statment in defense of using wood in the construction of boat..

This is from there site: - http://www.ebbtideboats.com/lasting.asp

The myth about wood-free boats
If you’re reading this page, you are seriously searching for the best
built boat. In that search you’ve heard about wood-free boats. There are
man-made materials out there that some manufacturers use in place of
solid wood stringers and they are touted as rot-free. What is not
generally discussed is the effect non-wood stringers have on the ride
and long term durability of the boat. Our Dura-Core system gives you the
perfect combination of a solid, stable, and quiet ride. If there were a
better substance for the stringer system than wood, we’d use it. Unlike
man-made materials, wood stringers have the flexible memory to absorb
shock and vibration, they do not transfer sound, they’re heavier and
provide a more solid ride, and they take rough seas better. Another
strength of the solid Perma-Panel treated wood stringer is that the bond
of the fiberglass material penetrates wood deeper than the surface-only
bond of the man-made material. Our competitors mention rot as a problem.
If you look closely at our manufacturing techniques, you’ll see that our
stringers are completely encapsulated with resin and glass, then each
grid is filled with closed-cell flotation foam, creating a completely
unitized hull structure. We’re so confident in our Dura-Core hulls, we
provide a limited lifetime transom and stringer warranty and a ten-year
hull warranty. Just remember, we’ve been building boats for 40 years the
methodical handcrafted way... not the faster, less costly way.
end from Ebbtids site

I know this is advertising from their site, but they do make some good
points. I reaize we are looking to very different types os boats. I just
thought I would toss this out for some consideration.

Capt Jack R..

PocoLoco

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:24:15 GMT, Don White wrote:

P. Fritz wrote:
snip...

donnie is lost in the brown fog rising from harry's ass........he has really
stepped in to make up for kevin's lack of inane posting.

Versus you, who is matchless at posting crap! You are at the top of the
dung heap.

Don, I can see how Harry's posts may increase your respect for southern
Maryland. Do you think your posts increase respect for Canadians?
--
John H

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

And I would take issue with the sound deal - it's the foam that makes
the boat quiet, not the wood. Also poured foam is not part of the
structure because it doesn't adhere to anything - it's just there for
flotation.

Surely you've seen those foam-filled sections at your favorite boat dealer
showrooms, Tom. The foam is chemically bonded to the fiberglass.
And what about the foam used in transoms, which is there for stiffening,
not for flotation?

Recognizing that I really don't know what I am talking about, I'll jump in
anyway and add my thoughts in response to the OP question.

Although wood stringers have been used successfully for years in many boats,
they have also have a history of rotting out in probably as many. Poor
workmanship, plus the fact that fiberglass, contrary to popular opinion, is
not waterproof. It does absorb and allows moisture to pass through it over
time. I suspect if the older boats with wood stringers always had dry
bilges and no leaks in the fiberglass encapsulation, they probably would be
in good shape. However, if the bilge is wet, particularly from rain water,
or the boat is used in fresh water I'll bet the wood rots in time. I had a
old Century that spent most of it's life in fresh water. Many of the
stringers were mush.

I still have a 20 foot Scout that has no wood, therefore no rot. Of course,
it's been sitting on a boat rack in Florida for two years and has only been
in the water for 5 hours.

Eisboch (back on the Navigator)

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:00:35 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

And I would take issue with the sound deal - it's the foam that makes
the boat quiet, not the wood. Also poured foam is not part of the
structure because it doesn't adhere to anything - it's just there for
flotation.
Surely you've seen those foam-filled sections at your favorite boat
dealer showrooms, Tom. The foam is chemically bonded to the fiberglass.
And what about the foam used in transoms, which is there for stiffening,
not for flotation?

It's poured in and heat sets - there is no "chemical bonding". If
anything, it's a pressure fit more than a "chemical bond".

However, I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time. :)

Well, I have watched a dealer scrape off some of it...had to scrape it
right off the glass, to which it stuck. I am talking about the flotation
foam stuff, not the transom stuff. I've not seen a chunk of that in place.
I bet it is epoxied to the fiberglass, though

Foam in Whalers is added before the glass cures. It becomes a one-piece
laminate once it sets.

From continuouswave.com:

" What is known is that the boat consists of two conventional laminated
skins, the hull and the liner. These are laid up at the same time using the
usual female molds. As the last layer of the laminate and resin is applied
and curing, the two sections are assembled into a single unit and clamped
together while still wet. The interior cavity thus formed is then filled
with a liquid foam. The liquid foam expands and hardens, filling every inch
of the inner cavity and at the same time completely bonding the hull and
liner, forming a single composite structure. "

Don White

wrote:

I asked the same question a week or so ago.
He got upset and ranted how dare I question his wife's condition etc.
Lets see if he gives you a civil truthful answer.

C'mon guys... that just isn't an appropriate place to go. If he's
lying, shame on him.... in any case, shame on you....

I am not lying Gene. Why this ever became a personal issue with my wifes
medical condition is beyond me...especially when they know nothing about the
problems she has to endure.

It actually sickens me that some stoop so low as to bring my wife into
things.

But why am I not surprised?

Sigh!
In the past..any time we razzed you about being boatless, *you* brought
up your wife's condition as the reason you had sold the big boat.
The real problem is...you've been caught in so many lies that everything
you say is suspect. If you said the sun came up that morning, I'd
advise other posters to stick their heads out to make sure.
No one here has any intention of making light of any illness your wife
may, or may not have. We just don't know how to tell when you are
truthful....so we have to look to your past antics and assume all your
claims are either exaggerated or not true.
Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Have you considered selling the Scout?

Last I heard, it was under agreement and the broker had scheduled a sea
trial for this week. Whoever buys it is getting a great deal. It's a good
boat, but I just don't have the time for it.

Eisboch

Don White

PocoLoco wrote:

Don, I can see how Harry's posts may increase your respect for southern
Maryland. Do you think your posts increase respect for Canadians?

You would judge the population of an entire country by my posts?
I don't know if I should be flattered or scared. Someone in Ottawa might
feel the need to silence me lest George W. decides to invade and teach
us a lesson.
Don White

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:57:31 GMT, Don White
wrote:

PocoLoco wrote:

Don, I can see how Harry's posts may increase your respect for southern
Maryland. Do you think your posts increase respect for Canadians?

You would judge the population of an entire country by my posts?
I don't know if I should be flattered or scared. Someone in Ottawa might
feel the need to silence me lest George W. decides to invade and teach
us a lesson.

As long as they bring back a case of Cuban cheroots for me, I say
let's invade!!!

I'm running low so the sooner the invasion begins, the better. :)

I don't smoke those 'stinky cigars', but I imagine they're available
here. Sail that Halman 20 up..you'll feel right at home and you can pick
out your own.