PocoLoco

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:32:29 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:18:19 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

Herring is now part of the official coverup for the slime known as
Hertvik.

He seems to have appointed himself JimH's bodyguard. Whenever I post
something that may not flatter Jim, John usually butts in to hold his
hand.

No Don. I think of Canadians as a pretty independent breed. I have met
several
during my Army days, and that's the way they struck me. Perhaps the ones I
met
were different from most Canadians.

Your puppy-dogging of krause is very much at odds with my perception of
Canadians.

Do your thing.
--
John H

This is why I have both Don White and Harry Krause killfiled . I just put
Krause back into the bozo bin as he failed to respond with facts to a claim
he made against my character....why am I not surprised?

They are both nasty old men with no positive contributions to the group.

End of story.

So how is the weather out your way John?

It has been raining here since noon, with the effects of Katrina to blow
over by tomorrow. The Labor Day weekend weather looks fantastic at this
point and we will definitely be back on the water if the forecast holds
true.

How about you?

The rain hasn't got here yet, if it ever does. We need some rain, badly. It
looks as though the storm will pass to the west of DC, but maybe we'll pick up a
little rain.

The fishing has not been all that great on the bay this summer. There seem to be
a lot of small (18") stripers, but they're illegal. I haven't been out fishing
since taking the Belarusian kids out in mid-July.

One of the big problems is my newfound interest in golf. I played some in the
early 70"s, no lessons or anything, and haven't played since. Golf weather and
boating weather, not to mention motorcycle weather, all seem to cause
competition with the various activities. With the fish biting being off, golf is
winning. It's also *much* cheaper!
--
John H

PocoLoco

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:33:39 GMT, Don White wrote:

PocoLoco wrote:

Herring is now part of the official coverup for the slime known as Hertvik.

He seems to have appointed himself JimH's bodyguard. Whenever I post
something that may not flatter Jim, John usually butts in to hold his hand.

No Don. I think of Canadians as a pretty independent breed. I have met several
during my Army days, and that's the way they struck me. Perhaps the ones I met
were different from most Canadians.

Your puppy-dogging of krause is very much at odds with my perception of
Canadians.

Do your thing.

As I've said a number of times...please do not judge all Canadians by my
posts.
I certainly don't judge all Americans by the behaviour of George W & gang.

Trust me. I won't consider all Canadians the same as you.

Do your thing.
--
John H

PocoLoco

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:33:50 GMT, Don White wrote:

PocoLoco wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:57:31 GMT, Don White wrote:

PocoLoco wrote:

Don, I can see how Harry's posts may increase your respect for southern
Maryland. Do you think your posts increase respect for Canadians?

You would judge the population of an entire country by my posts?
I don't know if I should be flattered or scared. Someone in Ottawa might
feel the need to silence me lest George W. decides to invade and teach
us a lesson.

I asked a question. Do you think your posts reflect well on Canadians? There's
no judgement involved.

Now who just recently quoted.."quibble as you may"?
Do you think that person would mind me borrowing his quote?

Help yourself.

Do your thing.
--
John H

Don White

PocoLoco wrote:

Trust me. I won't consider all Canadians the same as you.

Do your thing.

Thank you very much!
John Wentworth

Don White wrote:
Now who just recently quoted.."quibble as you may"?
Do you think that person would mind me borrowing his quote?

Don, I'm proud of you. Your post was almost the last word in a
singularly meaningless thread, you should take pride in adding no value
to a pointless conversation. The original poster is interested in a used
Scout boat, and wondered if rotted wood was a common problem. Did you
notice that his first post was his last post? Do you suppose he will return?

This forum has become a playground for a half-dozen people who view it
as their personal blog. Harry has a leading role, but there are several
supporting players.

Don White

John Wentworth wrote:
Don White wrote:

Now who just recently quoted.."quibble as you may"?
Do you think that person would mind me borrowing his quote?

Don, I'm proud of you. Your post was almost the last word in a
singularly meaningless thread, you should take pride in adding no value
to a pointless conversation. The original poster is interested in a used
Scout boat, and wondered if rotted wood was a common problem. Did you
notice that his first post was his last post? Do you suppose he will
return?

This forum has become a playground for a half-dozen people who view it
as their personal blog. Harry has a leading role, but there are several
supporting players.

Please don't Smither me. Bad enough dealing with the 'H' brothers.
John Wentworth

Don White wrote:

Please don't Smither me. Bad enough dealing with the 'H' brothers.

"Smither" you? You really need to step back for a moment and think about
your involvement in this hog rassle. Do you want to make a career of
being Harry's spear carrier? Supporting a particular political position
should not require a total suspension of common courtesy; what does this
thread have to do with a Scout boat and rotten wood?

Cheer up, at least it's not the Preparation H brothers. Oh yeah, I think
the black helicopters have identified your house and marked you for
assimilation in the event of hostilities, pray for peace. No more
complaints about softwood, or you'll get the hardwood.
Jack Redington

Harry Krause wrote:
Jack Redington wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:31:56 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

bb wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:04:59 GMT, Charlie Brown
wrote:

I plan on buying a used boat this winter. I see that Scout boats
don't use wood for construction but rather some composite material
that does not rot. Are there other manufacturers that do the same
thing? In doing my research, it seems that rotten wood is the main
problem with used boats in which repair costs can soar. For this
reason, I'm thinking a small center console scout will suit my needs
best. Has Scout always used this composite material or do some
of the
older boats have wood also?

add cape horn and sea strike boats to the list, imo.

bb

Two of the best sal****er lines made, Grady and Parker, use XL ply
for stringers and in the transom. Wood is a wonderful material for
boats if the right kind is used properly.

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so
much about rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.

I'm surprised at that. It's got to be a more expensive alternative to
just making composite stringers.

I am no expert - But I have been looking into replacing our 21 ft
cuddy with a bowrider since our usage has changed. ie we now have a
little place on a lake we like and no longer need the cuddy.

That being said the all-glass vs wood construction topic has my
attention. Our current boat (a 1995 Crownline 210ccr) has glass
encapsolated wood stringers. Wood in the transom, and plywood with
resin w/carpet over the floor in the cockpit. There are not any soft
spots or signs of rot and delamination. It has been stored for most of
it's life on the trailer with not in use and covered with either a
mooring cover or sometimes a just cockpit cover.

Thus I agree that is done correctly, I do not think wood is inherently
evil. But if done incorrectly I am sure it can be a nightmare. One
also has to consider how well you take care of the boat - just like
anything else.

From some of the web pages I have visited ebbtide has a interesting
statment in defense of using wood in the construction of boat..

This is from there site: - http://www.ebbtideboats.com/lasting.asp

The myth about wood-free boats
If you’re reading this page, you are seriously searching for the best
built boat. In that search you’ve heard about wood-free boats. There
are man-made materials out there that some manufacturers use in place
of solid wood stringers and they are touted as rot-free. What is not
generally discussed is the effect non-wood stringers have on the ride
and long term durability of the boat. Our Dura-Core system gives you
the perfect combination of a solid, stable, and quiet ride. If there
were a better substance for the stringer system than wood, we’d use
it. Unlike man-made materials, wood stringers have the flexible memory
to absorb shock and vibration, they do not transfer sound, they’re
heavier and provide a more solid ride, and they take rough seas
better. Another strength of the solid Perma-Panel treated wood
stringer is that the bond of the fiberglass material penetrates wood
deeper than the surface-only bond of the man-made material. Our
competitors mention rot as a problem. If you look closely at our
manufacturing techniques, you’ll see that our stringers are completely
encapsulated with resin and glass, then each grid is filled with
closed-cell flotation foam, creating a completely unitized hull
structure. We’re so confident in our Dura-Core hulls, we provide a
limited lifetime transom and stringer warranty and a ten-year hull
warranty. Just remember, we’ve been building boats for 40 years the
methodical handcrafted way... not the faster, less costly way.
end from Ebbtids site

I know this is advertising from their site, but they do make some good
points. I reaize we are looking to very different types os boats. I
just thought I would toss this out for some consideration.

Capt Jack R..

If a boat is properly engineered and manufactured, and if the
encapsulation is not breached, the wood should have a very long life.

Non-encapsulated wood never seemed much of a problem when I was a kid in
the 1950s, when most small boats were wood or wood covered in
fiberglass. There were plenty of old wood boats about, and they took a
lot of abuse.

I agree - That is why I reconsidered insisting on a boat that had no
wood in the construction this time around. The wood in my present shows
no signs of rot. And has served me well. :-)

I guess the bottom line is that any manyfacture can make a poor or good
product out of just about anything.

Cheers

Capt Jack R..

Don White

John Wentworth wrote:

snip drivel...

Cheer up, at least it's not the Preparation H brothers. Oh yeah, I think
the black helicopters have identified your house and marked you for
assimilation in the event of hostilities, pray for peace. No more
complaints about softwood, or you'll get the hardwood.

Thanks..that's a good one and so fitting...
the 'Preparation H Brothers'. I love it and presume I have your
permission to use it when I'm harassed by either JimH or JohnH.

As far as the softwood...tell that international outlaw you call a
president...we want our $5 billion back that he's stolen from us.
Charlie Brown

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:39:07 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

As to model boats, if you are looking for a good small CC, Scout is a
good brand, Triton, Ranger, Mako - look around for a boat called
FishHawk which was made for a short time by Bombardier and is a
Hydra-Sports clone. Hydra-Sports is also a good name.

How does SeaPro compare to the Scout?