Charlie Brown

Default what brand boat

I plan on buying a used boat this winter. I see that Scout boats
don't use wood for construction but rather some composite material
that does not rot. Are there other manufacturers that do the same
thing? In doing my research, it seems that rotten wood is the main
problem with used boats in which repair costs can soar. For this
reason, I'm thinking a small center console scout will suit my needs
best. Has Scout always used this composite material or do some of the
older boats have wood also?
bb

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:04:59 GMT, Charlie Brown
wrote:

I plan on buying a used boat this winter. I see that Scout boats
don't use wood for construction but rather some composite material
that does not rot. Are there other manufacturers that do the same
thing? In doing my research, it seems that rotten wood is the main
problem with used boats in which repair costs can soar. For this
reason, I'm thinking a small center console scout will suit my needs
best. Has Scout always used this composite material or do some of the
older boats have wood also?

add cape horn and sea strike boats to the list, imo.

bb
NOYB

wrote:

I plan on buying a used boat this winter. I see that Scout boats
don't use wood for construction but rather some composite material
that does not rot. Are there other manufacturers that do the same
thing? In doing my research, it seems that rotten wood is the main
problem with used boats in which repair costs can soar. For this
reason, I'm thinking a small center console scout will suit my needs
best. Has Scout always used this composite material or do some of the
older boats have wood also?

add cape horn and sea strike boats to the list, imo.

bb

Two of the best sal****er lines made, Grady and Parker, use XL ply for
stringers and in the transom. Wood is a wonderful material for boats if
the right kind is used properly.

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so much about
rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.

NOYB

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:31:56 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so much
about
rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.

I haven't heard so much about "rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads
in older Grady's!"

When should I expect mine to fall apart?

I dunno about yours, Gene. My 1991 Grady Gulfstream had a bulkhead that was
completely rotted out.

NOYB

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:31:56 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so much
about rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.

I haven't heard so much about "rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads
in older Grady's!"

When should I expect mine to fall apart?

I haven't hear much about it, either. Maybe Hertvik can build you a
computer to test for the date of dissolution. On the cheap, of course.

http://tinyurl.com/7kfd3

*JimH*

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:31:56 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so much
about rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.

I haven't heard so much about "rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads
in older Grady's!"

When should I expect mine to fall apart?

I haven't hear much about it, either. Maybe Hertvik can build you a
computer to test for the date of dissolution. On the cheap, of course.

Wow, I got dragged into another discussion for no known reason other than
your on going infatuation with me.

So how about it Krause. Care to bet that I can build a faster, better PC
for a cheaper price than you just did? Or are you all talk? Me thinks
so. ;-)

NOYB

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:01:09 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:31:56 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so much
about
rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.

I haven't heard so much about "rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads
in older Grady's!"

When should I expect mine to fall apart?

I dunno about yours, Gene. My 1991 Grady Gulfstream had a bulkhead that
was
completely rotted out.

I think we have discussed that before and I am still at a loss. My
bulkheads are made of a resin based material... not unlike micarta....
heavy as lead, but not susceptible to rot.

My bulkhead was a laminate, almost like laminate counter tops. Everything
under the laminated surface was rotted out plywood.

Fortunately, it wasn't structural. It was simply the wall between the
cockpit and the cabin.

NOYB

NOYB wrote:
[...]

That old boat wasn't spec'd out by John Hertvik, the guy who claims he can
build better, faster, cheaper computers, without knowing what is wanted?

No. I'm pretty sure they outsourced fabrication of the bulkheads to the
union shop down the street.

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
NOYB wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

NOYB wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in
message ...

[...]

In the Carolinas? Doubtful. More likely, former dental patients from
south Florida.

Or dentists from Indiana/New Jersey who have gone bad and had their
licenses lifted. Since you can get away with almost anything in Florida,
some also setup shop there.
NOYB

"Don White" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:
NOYB wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

NOYB wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Florida does not have dental license reciprocity with any other states. The
pass rate for out-of-state dentists trying to get licensed in Florida runs
between 10 and 30%. So much for your theory, Don.