Jack Redington

Harry Krause wrote:
Jack Redington wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:31:56 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

bb wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:04:59 GMT, Charlie Brown
wrote:

I plan on buying a used boat this winter. I see that Scout boats
don't use wood for construction but rather some composite material
that does not rot. Are there other manufacturers that do the same
thing? In doing my research, it seems that rotten wood is the main
problem with used boats in which repair costs can soar. For this
reason, I'm thinking a small center console scout will suit my needs
best. Has Scout always used this composite material or do some
of the
older boats have wood also?

add cape horn and sea strike boats to the list, imo.

bb

Two of the best sal****er lines made, Grady and Parker, use XL ply
for stringers and in the transom. Wood is a wonderful material for
boats if the right kind is used properly.

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so
much about rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.

I'm surprised at that. It's got to be a more expensive alternative to
just making composite stringers.

I am no expert - But I have been looking into replacing our 21 ft
cuddy with a bowrider since our usage has changed. ie we now have a
little place on a lake we like and no longer need the cuddy.

That being said the all-glass vs wood construction topic has my
attention. Our current boat (a 1995 Crownline 210ccr) has glass
encapsolated wood stringers. Wood in the transom, and plywood with
resin w/carpet over the floor in the cockpit. There are not any soft
spots or signs of rot and delamination. It has been stored for most of
it's life on the trailer with not in use and covered with either a
mooring cover or sometimes a just cockpit cover.

Thus I agree that is done correctly, I do not think wood is inherently
evil. But if done incorrectly I am sure it can be a nightmare. One
also has to consider how well you take care of the boat - just like
anything else.

From some of the web pages I have visited ebbtide has a interesting
statment in defense of using wood in the construction of boat..

This is from there site: - http://www.ebbtideboats.com/lasting.asp

The myth about wood-free boats
If you’re reading this page, you are seriously searching for the best
built boat. In that search you’ve heard about wood-free boats. There
are man-made materials out there that some manufacturers use in place
of solid wood stringers and they are touted as rot-free. What is not
generally discussed is the effect non-wood stringers have on the ride
and long term durability of the boat. Our Dura-Core system gives you
the perfect combination of a solid, stable, and quiet ride. If there
were a better substance for the stringer system than wood, we’d use
it. Unlike man-made materials, wood stringers have the flexible memory
to absorb shock and vibration, they do not transfer sound, they’re
heavier and provide a more solid ride, and they take rough seas
better. Another strength of the solid Perma-Panel treated wood
stringer is that the bond of the fiberglass material penetrates wood
deeper than the surface-only bond of the man-made material. Our
competitors mention rot as a problem. If you look closely at our
manufacturing techniques, you’ll see that our stringers are completely
encapsulated with resin and glass, then each grid is filled with
closed-cell flotation foam, creating a completely unitized hull
structure. We’re so confident in our Dura-Core hulls, we provide a
limited lifetime transom and stringer warranty and a ten-year hull
warranty. Just remember, we’ve been building boats for 40 years the
methodical handcrafted way... not the faster, less costly way.
end from Ebbtids site

I know this is advertising from their site, but they do make some good
points. I reaize we are looking to very different types os boats. I
just thought I would toss this out for some consideration.

Capt Jack R..

If a boat is properly engineered and manufactured, and if the
encapsulation is not breached, the wood should have a very long life.

Non-encapsulated wood never seemed much of a problem when I was a kid in
the 1950s, when most small boats were wood or wood covered in
fiberglass. There were plenty of old wood boats about, and they took a
lot of abuse.

I agree - That is why I reconsidered insisting on a boat that had no
wood in the construction this time around. The wood in my present shows
no signs of rot. And has served me well. :-)

I guess the bottom line is that any manyfacture can make a poor or good
product out of just about anything.

Cheers

Capt Jack R..