NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:00:35 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

And I would take issue with the sound deal - it's the foam that makes
the boat quiet, not the wood. Also poured foam is not part of the
structure because it doesn't adhere to anything - it's just there for
flotation.
Surely you've seen those foam-filled sections at your favorite boat
dealer showrooms, Tom. The foam is chemically bonded to the fiberglass.
And what about the foam used in transoms, which is there for stiffening,
not for flotation?

It's poured in and heat sets - there is no "chemical bonding". If
anything, it's a pressure fit more than a "chemical bond".

However, I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time. :)

Well, I have watched a dealer scrape off some of it...had to scrape it
right off the glass, to which it stuck. I am talking about the flotation
foam stuff, not the transom stuff. I've not seen a chunk of that in place.
I bet it is epoxied to the fiberglass, though

Foam in Whalers is added before the glass cures. It becomes a one-piece
laminate once it sets.

From continuouswave.com:

" What is known is that the boat consists of two conventional laminated
skins, the hull and the liner. These are laid up at the same time using the
usual female molds. As the last layer of the laminate and resin is applied
and curing, the two sections are assembled into a single unit and clamped
together while still wet. The interior cavity thus formed is then filled
with a liquid foam. The liquid foam expands and hardens, filling every inch
of the inner cavity and at the same time completely bonding the hull and
liner, forming a single composite structure. "