Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

And I would take issue with the sound deal - it's the foam that makes
the boat quiet, not the wood. Also poured foam is not part of the
structure because it doesn't adhere to anything - it's just there for
flotation.

Surely you've seen those foam-filled sections at your favorite boat dealer
showrooms, Tom. The foam is chemically bonded to the fiberglass.
And what about the foam used in transoms, which is there for stiffening,
not for flotation?

Recognizing that I really don't know what I am talking about, I'll jump in
anyway and add my thoughts in response to the OP question.

Although wood stringers have been used successfully for years in many boats,
they have also have a history of rotting out in probably as many. Poor
workmanship, plus the fact that fiberglass, contrary to popular opinion, is
not waterproof. It does absorb and allows moisture to pass through it over
time. I suspect if the older boats with wood stringers always had dry
bilges and no leaks in the fiberglass encapsulation, they probably would be
in good shape. However, if the bilge is wet, particularly from rain water,
or the boat is used in fresh water I'll bet the wood rots in time. I had a
old Century that spent most of it's life in fresh water. Many of the
stringers were mush.

I still have a 20 foot Scout that has no wood, therefore no rot. Of course,
it's been sitting on a boat rack in Florida for two years and has only been
in the water for 5 hours.

Eisboch (back on the Navigator)