Christopher Robin

Default Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer

ArKLyte_ wrote in message . ..
http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nation...tion-headlines

Mich. Town Split Over Muslim Loudspeakers

By Associated Press

April 14, 2004, 3:17 PM EDT

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. -- A request by Muslims to allow mosques to use
loudspeakers for the call to prayer has prompted a backlash among some
of their mostly white, Christian neighbors.

They are circulating a petition opposing the request by the Al-Islah
Islamic Center for a change in the city noise ordinance. The Muslim
call to prayer occurs five times a day between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

"When you call to prayer, you are proselytizing, and as a citizen of
the United States, I don't want to hear it," Bob Golen, 68, said at a
City Council hearing Tuesday.

Caroline Zarski, 81, agreed. "It is not my God. My God is Jesus
Christ. I don't want this noise invading my home at 10 p.m.," she
said.

Still, Council President Karen Majewski said the proposed amendment is
likely to pass next week in this separate municipality inside Detroit.

Muslim speakers said they often hear church bells as early as 6 a.m.
They said the call to prayer would be less noisy.

"It's a low-pitched voice. It's not going to wake up anybody," said
Abdul Algazali, a Hamtramck businessman.
Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

Islam wants to take over America. Support the Second Amendment and
protect yourself.
plantsman

"Christopher Robin" wrote in message
om...
ArKLyte_ wrote in message

. ..

[...]

=====================
"There are five mosques in Hamtramck, and three others just over the
border in Detroit."

Sounds like they've already taken over greater Detroit. I'm sure it will
be a "low-pitched voice" g. Have you ever heard how they sound in other
countries? Loud and unavoidable with all of that singing/wavering/howling
sounds of Arabic. I wouldn't want to hear it any time of the day. At least
you don't have to answer the door when the Jehovah's Witnesses or the
Mormons show up. You wouldn't be able to escape the Muslims in like manner.
Church bells generally sound pleasant to most people. What kind of religion
forces people to worship at a prescribed time multiple times of the day? A
deadly one!

David S.

John Gaquin

"plantsman" wrote in message

..... I'm sure it will
be a "low-pitched voice" g. Have you ever heard how they sound in other
countries?

I've spent a considerable time over the last thirty-five years living and
working in various mid-east countries. There is absolutely nothing
unobtrusive about the prayer calls. And it isn't just 6AM. When I lived in
Turkey, the morning call in summer came as early as 3:30AM.

I suspect there are a few citizens of Hamtramck who will take care of the
loudspeakers.

David Hartung

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Christopher Robin wrote:

ArKLyte_ wrote in message

. ..

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nation...-muslim-loudsp

eakers,0,2042495.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

[...]

Though different, no worse than what the fundie "Christian" republicans
have in mind for USA. In many parts of SE Georgia and NE Florida, for
example, the right-wing "Christians" have their mitts everywhere, come
banging on your door looking for converts, and are damned slow to take
no for an answer. They want to control the public schools, the
libraries, the movie theaters, the airwaves, entertainment venues,
access to medical treatment and much, much more.

Religious fanaticism is ugly, no matter the flavor.

Much the same as left wing secular fanaticism.

Bert Robbins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Christopher Robin wrote:

ArKLyte_ wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Sounds an awful lot like the Democrats!

Religious fanaticism is ugly, no matter the flavor.

Political fanaticism is ugly, no matter the flavor.

Abdelkarim Benoit Evans

In article ,
"plantsman" wrote:

What kind of religion
forces people to worship at a prescribed time multiple times of the day? A
deadly one!

To help you find the correct answer to your question, you might try
looking up the following words in any good dictionary or encycopedia:

prime, lauds, matins, tierce, sext, none, vespers, compline

Hint: they are the names of the daily prayer times in the Christian
Chruch and are still observed in convents and monasteries. With the
addition of the daily Mass, they add up to NINE (not just five) daily
offices.

In the Anglican Church, they have been reduced for lay people to three
recommended offices: Morning Prayer (Matins), Evening Prayer (Vespers
or Evensong) and private nighttime prayer before bed (Compline).

These offices are related to the Jewish custom, as found in Psalm 119:

"Seven times a day do I praise thee."

To which is added the nighttime office on the basis of "in the middle of
the night will I rise to give thanks unto thee", found in the same
psalm. That accounts for the eight hours of the Christian Divine Office
to which the Mass is added, for a total of nine.

It looks like pious Christians and pious Jews are praying even more
often than pious Muslims.

--
Peace to all who seek God's face.

Abdelkarim Benoit Evans
Don White

Christopher Robin wrote in message

Why don't they use beepers or some other electronic device?

Phaedrine

In article ,
Abdelkarim Benoit Evans wrote:

In article ,
"plantsman" wrote:

What kind of religion forces people to worship at a prescribed time
multiple times of the day? A deadly one!

prime, lauds, matins, tierce, sext, none, vespers, compline... [...]
they are the names of the daily prayer times in the Christian Chruch
and are still observed in convents and monasteries.

[...]
It looks like pious Christians and pious Jews are praying even more
often than pious Muslims.

Argumentum ineptia.

You have reached back into the middle ages (how very "muslim") to the
Order of the Divine Offices in a pathetic attempt to piece together
another of your half-witted theories to justify muslim absurdities and
stupidities. Generally only monastics (and there are very few) who
cloister themselves from society observe all the Daily Offices.
Moreover, this has NOTHING to do with muslims trying to force their
obnoxious, disturbing and wholly unnecessary loudspeakers on everyone
else.

But I thank you for epitomizing, once again, the absurdity and
deceitfulness of islam and its cult members like you. You provide a
valuable service to all non-muslim (civilized) society in acquainting us
all with every possible asinine or reprehensible aspect of your
dangerous ideology.

..
Phaedrine

In article ,
"John Gaquin" wrote:

"plantsman" wrote in message

..... I'm sure it will
be a "low-pitched voice" g. Have you ever heard how they sound in other
countries?

I've spent a considerable time over the last thirty-five years living and
working in various mid-east countries. There is absolutely nothing
unobtrusive about the prayer calls. And it isn't just 6AM. When I lived in
Turkey, the morning call in summer came as early as 3:30AM.

I suspect there are a few citizens of Hamtramck who will take care of the
loudspeakers.

Their city council (if they pass this) might as well start packing now.
Curtis CCR

"John Gaquin" wrote in message ...
"plantsman" wrote in message

..... I'm sure it will
be a "low-pitched voice" g. Have you ever heard how they sound in other
countries?

I've spent a considerable time over the last thirty-five years living and
working in various mid-east countries. There is absolutely nothing
unobtrusive about the prayer calls. And it isn't just 6AM. When I lived in
Turkey, the morning call in summer came as early as 3:30AM.

I recall arriving in Saudi Arabia years late at night. I got to bed
about 3 AM in the barracks where I was to live for the next few
months... At about 5:30 the screaming started. I knew prayer calls
happened there, but I was not prepared to hear it for the first time
through an open window from a mosgue across the street. I shot up
from bed... "What the F&#! is that!?!?! JESUS CHRIST!!"

My room mate woke up laughing at me. "*He* has nothing to do with it.
*That* is what we call a 'Prayer Raid Siren.' Welcome to
Saudi...dude."

I recall, maybe two or three times in the several months I was in the
mideast, where a prayer call didn't sounds so bad. But someone with a
good sounding voice doing the call was definitely the exception, not
the rule.

I agree that if other Churches are allowed to ring bells for religious
reasons (as opposed to just announcing that it's noon) then mosques
should be allowed to have prayer calls.

Those of us in rec.boats should go back to the jet ski issue (at least
that political discussion was on topic). When it was brought to your
attention that jet skis did not exceed noise limits, and were in fact
quieter that many other powerboats, how many of you said something
like... "It isn't the volume... Jet Skis make an irritating obnoxious
noise that just grates on people...." ???

Welcome back to the same argument.

I suspect there are a few citizens of Hamtramck who will take care of the
loudspeakers.

Just like they would "take care of" of catholic church bells in Saudi?