Curtis CCR

Default Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer

"John Gaquin" wrote in message ...
"plantsman" wrote in message

..... I'm sure it will
be a "low-pitched voice" g. Have you ever heard how they sound in other
countries?

I've spent a considerable time over the last thirty-five years living and
working in various mid-east countries. There is absolutely nothing
unobtrusive about the prayer calls. And it isn't just 6AM. When I lived in
Turkey, the morning call in summer came as early as 3:30AM.

I recall arriving in Saudi Arabia years late at night. I got to bed
about 3 AM in the barracks where I was to live for the next few
months... At about 5:30 the screaming started. I knew prayer calls
happened there, but I was not prepared to hear it for the first time
through an open window from a mosgue across the street. I shot up
from bed... "What the F&#! is that!?!?! JESUS CHRIST!!"

My room mate woke up laughing at me. "*He* has nothing to do with it.
*That* is what we call a 'Prayer Raid Siren.' Welcome to
Saudi...dude."

I recall, maybe two or three times in the several months I was in the
mideast, where a prayer call didn't sounds so bad. But someone with a
good sounding voice doing the call was definitely the exception, not
the rule.

I agree that if other Churches are allowed to ring bells for religious
reasons (as opposed to just announcing that it's noon) then mosques
should be allowed to have prayer calls.

Those of us in rec.boats should go back to the jet ski issue (at least
that political discussion was on topic). When it was brought to your
attention that jet skis did not exceed noise limits, and were in fact
quieter that many other powerboats, how many of you said something
like... "It isn't the volume... Jet Skis make an irritating obnoxious
noise that just grates on people...." ???

Welcome back to the same argument.

I suspect there are a few citizens of Hamtramck who will take care of the
loudspeakers.

Just like they would "take care of" of catholic church bells in Saudi?