plantsman

Default Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer

"Christopher Robin" wrote in message
om...
ArKLyte_ wrote in message

. ..

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nation...tion-headlines

Mich. Town Split Over Muslim Loudspeakers

By Associated Press

April 14, 2004, 3:17 PM EDT

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. -- A request by Muslims to allow mosques to use
loudspeakers for the call to prayer has prompted a backlash among some
of their mostly white, Christian neighbors.

They are circulating a petition opposing the request by the Al-Islah
Islamic Center for a change in the city noise ordinance. The Muslim
call to prayer occurs five times a day between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

"When you call to prayer, you are proselytizing, and as a citizen of
the United States, I don't want to hear it," Bob Golen, 68, said at a
City Council hearing Tuesday.

Caroline Zarski, 81, agreed. "It is not my God. My God is Jesus
Christ. I don't want this noise invading my home at 10 p.m.," she
said.

Still, Council President Karen Majewski said the proposed amendment is
likely to pass next week in this separate municipality inside Detroit.

Muslim speakers said they often hear church bells as early as 6 a.m.
They said the call to prayer would be less noisy.

"It's a low-pitched voice. It's not going to wake up anybody," said
Abdul Algazali, a Hamtramck businessman.
Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

Islam wants to take over America. Support the Second Amendment and
protect yourself.

=====================
"There are five mosques in Hamtramck, and three others just over the
border in Detroit."

Sounds like they've already taken over greater Detroit. I'm sure it will
be a "low-pitched voice" g. Have you ever heard how they sound in other
countries? Loud and unavoidable with all of that singing/wavering/howling
sounds of Arabic. I wouldn't want to hear it any time of the day. At least
you don't have to answer the door when the Jehovah's Witnesses or the
Mormons show up. You wouldn't be able to escape the Muslims in like manner.
Church bells generally sound pleasant to most people. What kind of religion
forces people to worship at a prescribed time multiple times of the day? A
deadly one!

David S.