Bert Robbins

Default Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Christopher Robin wrote:

ArKLyte_ wrote in message

. ..

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nation...-muslim-loudsp

eakers,0,2042495.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

Mich. Town Split Over Muslim Loudspeakers

By Associated Press

April 14, 2004, 3:17 PM EDT

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. -- A request by Muslims to allow mosques to use
loudspeakers for the call to prayer has prompted a backlash among some
of their mostly white, Christian neighbors.

They are circulating a petition opposing the request by the Al-Islah
Islamic Center for a change in the city noise ordinance. The Muslim
call to prayer occurs five times a day between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

"When you call to prayer, you are proselytizing, and as a citizen of
the United States, I don't want to hear it," Bob Golen, 68, said at a
City Council hearing Tuesday.

Caroline Zarski, 81, agreed. "It is not my God. My God is Jesus
Christ. I don't want this noise invading my home at 10 p.m.," she
said.

Still, Council President Karen Majewski said the proposed amendment is
likely to pass next week in this separate municipality inside Detroit.

Muslim speakers said they often hear church bells as early as 6 a.m.
They said the call to prayer would be less noisy.

"It's a low-pitched voice. It's not going to wake up anybody," said
Abdul Algazali, a Hamtramck businessman.
Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

Islam wants to take over America. Support the Second Amendment and
protect yourself.

Though different, no worse than what the fundie "Christian" republicans
have in mind for USA. In many parts of SE Georgia and NE Florida, for
example, the right-wing "Christians" have their mitts everywhere, come
banging on your door looking for converts, and are damned slow to take
no for an answer. They want to control the public schools, the
libraries, the movie theaters, the airwaves, entertainment venues,
access to medical treatment and much, much more.

Sounds an awful lot like the Democrats!

Religious fanaticism is ugly, no matter the flavor.

Political fanaticism is ugly, no matter the flavor.