Doug Kanter

Default Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer

"John H" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:45:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"Phaedrine" wrote in message
In article ,
(Curtis CCR) wrote:

I agree that if other Churches are allowed to ring bells for

religious
reasons (as opposed to just announcing that it's noon) then mosques
should be allowed to have prayer calls.

I guess I do not understand how you equate the two. If mosques are
allowed loudspeakers, for instance, then perhaps churches should be
allowed to use electronic augmentation for their bells as well? Is

that
what you are saying? (I don't understand why rec.boats got on this
list!)

Allowing Muslims to use loudspeakers doesn't mean everyone else is going

do the same. Jehovah's Witnesses robots knock on your door when you're

busy,
trying to make you take stupid pamphlets. They're legally allowed to do

so,
but you don't see Hassidic Jews doing it, right? It's just a difference

in
the approach.

Having said this, I'd take any opportunity to murder anyone who blasted
prayer announcements over a loudspeaker at 5-something in the morning.

But,
this is a personal view, not a legal one. :-)

By the way, won't noise ordinances take care of some of this problem?

If Muslims are allowed to use loudspeakers, shouldn't the Mexicans on the

corner
be allowed to blast the "salsa" on their systems at midnight? I mean, if

it's a
cultural thing and all.

Mexicans *do* blast salsa all night, and here in Rochester, Hispanic
citizens, in general, are famous for bringing boom boxes to public parks to
serenade everyone present. But, that's also a practice popular with guys
with mullets and backwards Caterpillar hats who drive over-customized
pickups with confederate stickers on the windows. We have a lot of that
he Fake Southerners.

PS. Doug, did I see your pretty face in a discussion of Nikon lenses?

Yep. It was really a debate about whether such a lens would fit into this
month's toy budget, versus finally buying a fly rod. The fly rod won.

Doug Kanter

"Henry Blackmoore" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Doug, I know that you are smart enough to check for cross-posting?

I respond to the message and I don't care if it was originally cross posted.
That's the responsibility of the message's originator. And, notice the
correct use of the apostrophe, mosquito.

NOYB

I'm all for it...since it will make the terrorists that much easier to find.

"Shoot the guy with the loudspeaker!"

Paul Schilter

John,
What kind of comment is this. " If you'd paid attention to your daddy,
you wouldn't have been pregnant and would
have had a much better time!" You're not worth reading, into the trash bin
with you.
Paul

"John H" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:45:19 -0500, Phaedrine
wrote:

In article ,
John H wrote:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:13:31 -0500, Phaedrine
wrote:

In article ,
(Curtis CCR) wrote:

I agree that if other Churches are allowed to ring bells for

religious
reasons (as opposed to just announcing that it's noon) then mosques
should be allowed to have prayer calls.

I guess I do not understand how you equate the two. If mosques are
allowed loudspeakers, for instance, then perhaps churches should be
allowed to use electronic augmentation for their bells as well? Is

that
what you are saying? (I don't understand why rec.boats got on this
list!)

Because someone where ever you are cross posted to this group. You

don't have
something against boats, do you?

Definitely not! We are both sailors in this domicile.

We have a hard enough time sticking to the topic, without mosques and

minarets
and stereo praying systems getting us confused. Trust me, putting up

with
b'asskisser is hard enough.

John H

LOL!! Well John, my apologies for contributing to disturbing your
harmony. Maybe I can make up for the OT post......

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

OB Boats: When we were a little younger, we once took a week to sail
around all the little islands on Erie in a little chartered Morgan with
aft and center cabins. I was pregnant at the time. One of those
unexpected Lake Erie storms came up and just tossed us around like a
plastic toy. After reefing the sails, we tried beating it in to
Marblehead but the winds were so strong we were edging toward a massive
breakwall of rocks. Alas the damn engine wouldn't start to help us out
either. I was greener than Kermit the frog, standing in the cabin well
watching sheet after sheet of rain beat the hell out of my husband who
was thinking "My kingdom for a Cape Dory". But finally he got the
engine started and made it in to shore without a mark. It was a great
sail.

Phae

.

If you'd paid attention to your daddy, you wouldn't have been pregnant and

would
have had a much better time!

Harmony!? You haven't spent much time in rec.boats, have you? There is

very
little harmony gets tossed around here. I can't believe this thread has

lasted
as long as it has without a bunch of horrid name calling.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

basskisser

John H wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:45:19 -0500, Phaedrine
wrote:

In article ,
John H wrote:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:13:31 -0500, Phaedrine
wrote:

In article ,
(Curtis CCR) wrote:

[...]

What a pig! Did you ever stop to think that she may have WANTED a child?
Henry Blackmoore

(Curtis CCR) wrote:

I agree that if other Churches are allowed to ring bells for religious
reasons (as opposed to just announcing that it's noon) then mosques
should be allowed to have prayer calls.

Watch the cross-posting into the Islam newsgroups or you might really
see some OT posts in here along the lines of an rec.boats intifada.

That said, what if Muslims took to going boating wearing their regal

finery
(robes, headgear and the like) and start riding around taking pictures and
such? Maybe fishing under bridges and near industrial sites.

There would be no laws against this but think of the soon to come
ballyhoo and the restrictions on liberty that would be sure to follow.

I'm sure not one single potential terrorist has ever thought of using a boat
to deliver a bomb. But now that you've told them, all hell will break loose.

I am sure that they are monitoring this newsgroup closely (especially since
you crossposted into their islam group)....

Henry Blackmoore

In article , "Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Henry Blackmoore" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Doug, I know that you are smart enough to check for cross-posting?

I respond to the message and I don't care if it was originally cross posted.
That's the responsibility of the message's originator. And, notice the
correct use of the apostrophe, mosquito.

"I'm sure not one single potential terrorist has ever thought of using a boat
to deliver a bomb. But now that you've told (CROSSPOSTED) them, all hell will
break loose."

Doug Kanter

"Henry Blackmoore" wrote in message
nk.net...
In article , "Doug Kanter"

(Curtis CCR) wrote:

[...]

Hang on....you actually think this is a new idea? You must be the guy who
decided there should be security zones around ships, right?