Default Generator

"JustWait" wrote in message ...

On 12/30/2012 2:34 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 10:21:34 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:

It's still not any stronger than the base metal, period.

There is more surface as the hole is bigger, period. The type of metal
or the thickness is irrelevant, more is more... period. I knew the
engineer wouldn't know ****, take the question to a technician
tomorrow
at work and have him explain it to you, LOL!

Both statements are correct however to what degree is the issue. In
the case of the Ford V-10, some of the "repaired" heads using
heli-coils spit the spark plug out again after time with the failure
being the heli-coil to head interface. The benefit of being able to
remove the spark plug with less risk of taking part of the head with
it is valid, but as someone pointed out, these engines do not required
routine spark plug changes. This is what got Ford in some hot water,
meaning trying to place the blame on spark plug replacements. The
primary reason was the type of aluminum alloy used that weakened over
time due to heat cycles.

Aluminum is a unique material in the respect that it comes in many
different alloys and hardening techniques, depending on application.
The last I knew there were about 10-12 different alloys typically used
in industry and several different heat treating and aging techniques.
I became somewhat interested in this when I considered building a
large, aluminum vacuum chamber that would be routinely subjected to
very high side wall loads of about 29,000 lbs. Talking to
metallurgists and mechanical stress engineers convinced me that it
wasn't a good idea because the typical "61T6" alloy would weaken over
time. I am not a mechanical engineer nor a metallurgist, but
considering the liability risk, I decided to stick with stainless
steel.

On 12/30/12 9:44 PM, JustWait wrote:
On 12/30/2012 8:54 PM, Califbill wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote:
"iBoaterer" wrote in message

There are ways, not ideal but there are ways to keep debris in the
cylinder to minimum, first is liberal use of grease on the tap.

I accidently dropped a small stainless steel lock washer into the
carburetor of a Fiat 850 Coupe we had years ago. It was supposed to go
under the wingnut that held the air filter cover on. It was dark, and
when I went to put the cover on, I heard a little "tink", tink, tink".
I didn't even think that it may have gone in the carb. Fired the engine
up and within just a few seconds of running it caused enough damage to
require the head to be removed and machined.

---------

I'll one up you. I raced a 64 Vette fuel injection B production in SCCA.
Somehow a spare spark plug bell in the injector manifold, probably when
setting upside down near the work bench. During practice that plug went
down one of the tubes. I guess the valves bounced it back up and by the
time I pulled off because the engine was running really rough, it had
bent
7 of the intake valves.

I was putting an engine together last year to sell a KX125, I dropped a
screw in it and didn't notice. Had to call the guy back and tell him he
couldn't buy the bike. Sold it in a basket for 700 a few weeks later.

For a guy who often claims here he was a master wrencher, you sure seem
to have been clumsy and sloppy. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I have
taken a few yard equipment engines apart in recent years, and I managed
to keep track of all the pieces and parts. I use muffin tins for the
smallest parts like screws, pins, keys, bearings, et cetera. Son of a
gun, when I put them back together, there were no parts left over and
none missing.

"Eisboch" wrote:

"iBoaterer" wrote in message

There are ways, not ideal but there are ways to keep debris in the

cylinder to minimum, first is liberal use of grease on the tap.

.

Yeah but...if you were jostling with the wife for space on the kitchen table at meal time...that can get distracting.

[...]

But; were you able to fix any of them?

New Generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 77 July 3rd 11 03:34 PM
Buying a generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 30 June 14th 11 05:57 PM
Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
WTB in FL Generator Frank Electronics 0 March 10th 04 11:01 PM