Tamaroak

Default Home schooling while cruising

My bride and I are considering taking a year off and doing the Great
Circle Route/Loop, a mere 5000 miles around the east coast, the Erie
Canal and the Tenn-Tom. We would take our boys who will be 14 and 15 and
home schooling them on the boat, using a prepared curriculum and a
satellite Internet connection.

Does anyone out there have any experience in this type of adventure?

Capt. Jeff
K. Smith

Tamaroak wrote:
My bride and I are considering taking a year off and doing the Great
Circle Route/Loop, a mere 5000 miles around the east coast, the Erie
Canal and the Tenn-Tom. We would take our boys who will be 14 and 15 and
home schooling them on the boat, using a prepared curriculum and a
satellite Internet connection.

Does anyone out there have any experience in this type of adventure?

Capt. Jeff

Great idea!!! Your boys will love it & it'll be the best time of all
your lives.

In my cruising days (too long ago now:-() we oft came across people
with their kids from babies on up, I've had my grandkids on board the
current boat for weeks at a time, one since 11 days old.

The older kids really become part of the whole boating adventure &
you'll find they grow up & mature much quicker & better than their bored
at home friends.

Give them lots of boat responsibility (but stay safe of course:-)) &
room, they'll be meeting all sorts along the way which is what the young
need to experience.

Here downunder they use a correspondence system with internet (used to
be HF radio) even at home kids use it in the outback, so there's no down
side to their education indeed if you &/or your partner get involved the
whole family's education will improve:-)

I'm sure your boys are angels & you'd never have anything to worry
about in their teen years, just as all parents believe;-) but alas these
days it seems all sorts of new temptations, risks & pitfalls await them.
Being with you as a family will help guide them through & out the other
side, it seems there's only about 12 mths they need to get through,
those that do are fine for life with a good attitude & education, those
that don't have a lesser life & it seems to remain thus right to the end.

Have a great time & enjoy showing your boys that being a responsible
adult doesn't mean you're near dead & you can still have an exciting
adventu-)

Tuuk

Another reason why the east excels ,,, let your children learn in a proper
learning environment. I know that is tough to do in the west,, tough to find
a good one. But when they become 25 years old and need to compete for a job,
they may get stuck looking for the union job like Harry did. 17% of
Americans are forced to unionize, not much market value.

"K. Smith" wrote in message
Tamaroak wrote:
[...]

Jack Dale

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:44:04 -0600, Tamaroak
wrote:

My bride and I are considering taking a year off and doing the Great
Circle Route/Loop, a mere 5000 miles around the east coast, the Erie
Canal and the Tenn-Tom. We would take our boys who will be 14 and 15 and
home schooling them on the boat, using a prepared curriculum and a
satellite Internet connection.

Does anyone out there have any experience in this type of adventure?

No personal experience - no kids. But I would recommend reading some
books by Liza Copeland

Just Cruising
Still Cruising
Cruising for Cowards
and some others which do not spring to mind.

She has an article on SailNet, on the topic
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...eid=copela0008

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

prodigal1

Tuuk wrote:
Another reason why the east excels ,,, let your children learn in a proper
learning environment. I know that is tough to do in the west,, tough to find
a good one. But when they become 25 years old and need to compete for a job,
they may get stuck looking for the union job like Harry did. 17% of
Americans are forced to unionize, not much market value.

Uninformed opinion unrelated to boating. Take this over to
alt.republican.pinheads

Paul Schilter

Tuuk,
From what I've read, home schooler's excel above the other students. I'm
sure some parents are better at this than others but the figures said they
for the most part are doing very well.
Paul

"K. Smith" wrote in message
Tamaroak wrote:
[...]

K. Smith

Paul Schilter wrote:
Tuuk,
From what I've read, home schooler's excel above the other students. I'm
sure some parents are better at this than others but the figures said they
for the most part are doing very well.
Paul

Yeah Tuuk; here there was a while ago some competition or test to find
the best school kid at something or another in the country & the prize
was really big bucks for the winners school, it all got a bit
embarrassing when the winner was a home educated correspondence girl.
(her & her mum were on the telly & mum was well chuffed I can tell you)

The "east" as you say don't get educated because they outright don't
educate their children. I'd suggest they are hundreds of years behind
the west on account of it, if they did educate their kids we might not
have had to suffer 911 nor live in constant apprehension of another.

Here the teachers are fully unionised & so your kid not only comes out
poorly educated to the lowest common denominator but with a full on left
leaning cry baby attitude:-) You're right it takes union educated kids
till they're 25 to find out how the world really is & recover. Some of
the really stupid ones never do recover & they become union employees or
used car salesmen then used boat salesmen. Sad really, wasted lives but
some grace I guess; they're so stupid they don't even realise it.

My comment is if this bloke genuinely cares for his kids (most all do,
well OK not Krause despite his recent lie to the contrary, has been
estranged from his forever, because they probably picked up their mum's
genes & stayed close with her when she got away from him, lucky hey??)
then this enquirer no matter how bad, can't do any worse for his boys
than the union teaching lefty brainwashing sessions.

"K. Smith" wrote in message

Tamaroak wrote:

[...]

Dick

We would take our boys who will be 14 and 15 and
home schooling them on the boat, using a prepared curriculum and a
satellite Internet connection.

We home schooled our daugther for 1st and 2nd grade while cruising on Mexico
west coast. It was with the San Diego schools. We used there guidlines but we
could use the material that we wanted. We liked the choice of material because
we could apply what we were seeing in the class. If you have a perpared
curriculum it will not be about what is around you which makes for extra work
for the kids. We had a science project every week. We would go to the beach and
look for science stuff to do. Everytrip to town was a Social Studies class.

The prepared curriculum is easier on you, because you do not have to prepare
it. With your plan to do 5000 miles in one year this maybe a good choice for
you. You won't have time to see much of what is around you anyway.

The experience was good for our daughter. She is now 14 and in 9th grade and
has had a 4.0 for the last two years.

Dick

krj

Dick wrote:
[...]

Maybe she learned the difference between "there" and "their" in school.
Tuuk

Interesting,,, lets parse it,,,

Yeah Tuuk; here there was a while ago some competition or test to find the
best school kid at something or another in the country & the prize was
really big bucks for the winners school, it all got a bit embarrassing
when the winner was a home educated correspondence girl. (her & her mum
were on the telly & mum was well chuffed I can tell you)

Yes, I will agree with you there, for certain there will be better more
qualified and successful educators done one on one at home, with say the
parent who cares. At the local public schools there is a problem. I see
western students at university who cannot read. Even private universities do
not motivate enough or produce a product that can compete in the real world.

The "east" as you say don't get educated because they outright don't
educate their children. I'd suggest they are hundreds of years behind the
west on account of it, if they did educate their kids we might not have
had to suffer 911 nor live in constant apprehension of another.

No, not at all, I am talking the east such as the Asian countries, the ones
that are economically exploding. Of couse there are poor countries
everywhere, and middle east and the islamic or muslims teach the wrong
things. That is why they attacked on 911. Those schools focus so much on the
koran, teaching to hate non muslims, hating non islam and they do not spend
enough time on the maths and sciences etc. When they become 20 years old and
ready to compete in the workplace, they fail and see others so wealthy then
the jealousy, rage, anger, and they rebel against the apex.

The countries where I have attended universities in the west and east,, I
know that the east uncontestably does a better job. Where there is a big
difference is the costs and greed. Tuitions especially but one thing that
shocked me was text books. For example, in a university in Thailand, an
economics book, same edition, same publisher as the west, simply different
language goes for about 3.00 U.S. and here about 145.00 U.S. Same book. The
learning environment is much different also. Classroom sizes are small
(student) and the teachers actually give a dam, I mean no cell phones, no
walking in or out late, all uniforms, always homework done. Here it is a
joke, and here you will graduate with honors relatively easy, there you earn
it.

Here the teachers are fully unionised & so your kid not only comes out
poorly educated to the lowest common denominator but with a full on left
leaning cry baby attitude:-) You're right it takes union educated kids
till they're 25 to find out how the world really is & recover. Some of the
really stupid ones never do recover & they become union employees or used
car salesmen then used boat salesmen. Sad really, wasted lives but some
grace I guess; they're so stupid they don't even realise it.

I couldn't agree with you more there,,,

My comment is if this bloke genuinely cares for his kids (most all do,
well OK not Krause despite his recent lie to the contrary, has been
estranged from his forever, because they probably picked up their mum's
genes & stayed close with her when she got away from him, lucky hey??)
then this enquirer no matter how bad, can't do any worse for his boys than
the union teaching lefty brainwashing sessions.

I couldn't agree with you more there either,,, and I didn't know that about
Harry,, I might have guessed that and definatly not surprised and that
proves my point to him undisputably. Black and white.

But to better answer the caller's question, yes with proper resources,
motivation and training a student could learn more in that environment. What
they might miss would be the public speaking opportunities, team work,
friendships, but at their age, they could easily go one on one with the
computer and yes learn more than at a public school.