~^ beancounter ~^

rhys...well stated....imho...everyone benefits from an educated
population...
that is why everyone pays property taxes...duhhhhh....

---snip--------------------------
Today's schoolkid is tomorrow's nurse, daycare worker and bum-wiper

at
the Senile Old Sailors' Rest. I want that person to be able to
read...I'm funny that way.

Steve

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:03:41 -0800, "Steve" said:

during Marshal Law, under Marcos

I take it you mean martial law. General Marshall was indeed a great
planner,
but he predates Marcos's rule.

Thanks,

I stand corrected. It's these kinda things that a spell checker doesn't
ketch.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:08:42 -0500, prodigal1 said:

In my case, if the local public schools had been even close in quality to
the public school I attended I would have had no qualms about sending my
daughter to one. They aren't, and I didn't.

I got my education in the '40s and '50s and began in several rural one room
schools for my elementary grade. Then on to rural small town schools, where
the school board were a bunch of farmers or retired farmers and
fundamentalist church leaders. The quality of teaching was pretty good but
the subjects were the "3 Rs" (plus vocational agriculture (3yrs required,
home economics required), band and a little basic music). There was also
typing and book keeping class. No physics or higher math (just algebra,
that's it.). No literature or any of the classics. No art appreciation.

Admittedly we had a small school, with only about 100 students in the entire
four high school grades. However I found the absence of the higher math and
literature appreciation a serious short coming when I ultimately took
college entrance exams.

Now, by comparison, my three sons all went to a high school in San Diego, in
a low to middle class neighborhood. Each did very well and had no problem
getting into the UC university system. Two now have masters and the third
has a 'dual degree' (what ever that means). Now adults, they entered the job
market well prepared and adjusted and earn more money than I could have ever
imagined.

Why do I mention this here?? Well, I can't imagine an average parent with
only 'normal' high school education, tutoring and directing the studies of
'home school'er' and achieving as good a result as a public high school.
Given a choice, I believe those who opt for home school over public school
are depriving their children of the opportunity to develop social coping
skills in addition to some of the subjects mentioned earlier in this post.

Given a proper home guidance and parental involvement in their public school
education, a great deal can be achieve even in a below average public
school. "Don't let the thugs and punks drive your kids out of the school
house!" they are the minority and the majority of the students want and
deserve a good education. That's what our taxes pay for and we should all be
evolved and demand better control of our schools.

Sorry about the Rant!

Steve

s/v Good Intentions

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:31:45 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

Why do I mention this here?? Well, I can't imagine an average parent with
only 'normal' high school education, tutoring and directing the studies of
'home school'er' and achieving as good a result as a public high school.
Given a choice, I believe those who opt for home school over public school
are depriving their children of the opportunity to develop social coping
skills in addition to some of the subjects mentioned earlier in this post.

The statistics show just the opposite. Home schooled students score
higher on their college entrance tests, spelling bees etc... There
are many resources out there available to help the home schooling
parent and most make good use of them. As for socialization, there
are many ways to provide for this as well, including getting together
with other home schoolers.

Given a proper home guidance and parental involvement in their public school
education, a great deal can be achieve even in a below average public
school. "Don't let the thugs and punks drive your kids out of the school
house!" they are the minority and the majority of the students want and
deserve a good education. That's what our taxes pay for and we should all be
evolved and demand better control of our schools.

The facts are that most public schools in the US are extremely poor
compared to any other education systems in the developed world.
Rather than home schooling, my son is in a private school. I am not
well off but between my ex, myself and my parents we manage and all of
us consider that our child is much to valuable to turn him over to the
current public school system. I wish it were not so, but right now
the teacher's unions matter more than the kids they are supposed to be
teaching.

Sorry about the Rant!

One good rant deserves another.
Weebles Wobble