On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:31:45 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

Why do I mention this here?? Well, I can't imagine an average parent with
only 'normal' high school education, tutoring and directing the studies of
'home school'er' and achieving as good a result as a public high school.
Given a choice, I believe those who opt for home school over public school
are depriving their children of the opportunity to develop social coping
skills in addition to some of the subjects mentioned earlier in this post.

The statistics show just the opposite. Home schooled students score
higher on their college entrance tests, spelling bees etc... There
are many resources out there available to help the home schooling
parent and most make good use of them. As for socialization, there
are many ways to provide for this as well, including getting together
with other home schoolers.

Given a proper home guidance and parental involvement in their public school
education, a great deal can be achieve even in a below average public
school. "Don't let the thugs and punks drive your kids out of the school
house!" they are the minority and the majority of the students want and
deserve a good education. That's what our taxes pay for and we should all be
evolved and demand better control of our schools.

The facts are that most public schools in the US are extremely poor
compared to any other education systems in the developed world.
Rather than home schooling, my son is in a private school. I am not
well off but between my ex, myself and my parents we manage and all of
us consider that our child is much to valuable to turn him over to the
current public school system. I wish it were not so, but right now
the teacher's unions matter more than the kids they are supposed to be
teaching.

Sorry about the Rant!

One good rant deserves another.
Weebles Wobble