Parallax

Default Would you go long term cruising?

While at a baot yard today checking on having my boat hauled to have
transducers installed, I ran into a friend I had long ago lost track
of. 10 years ago, he bought an old higher quality boat and him and
his wife proceeded on a 10 yr project to completely re-build it as a
long distance cruiser. In this time, I dont think he ever really went
sailing so we lost touch. However, here they were, finally living on
the boat and are within a week of casting off for long term cruising.
They have sold their house and I am certain they had it paid for so
must have the financial wherewithal to cruise for several yrs. The
boat is truly beautiful with the sort of details I have never imagined
on any production boat.
After a few hours in which I got over my admiration for the 10 yr
obsessiveness that enabled them to do this, I considered, "Would I
embark on long term cruising?" My answer is "Probably no". Basically
it comes down to, Would you drop out and go cruising for a few yrs. I
could do it for a month, maybe two, but after that, I would go nuts.
Even under the most optimum social conditions on the boat, I couldnt
do it. I just have too much fun working. Maybe its a form of
arrogance to think that society really needs what I do or maybe a sort
of puritanical guilt. I'd be afraid my mind would turn to jelly after
being away for long.
My ideal cruising concept is to go for a couple weeks at a time and
then back to work leaving the boat in some spot from which the
adventure could continue. I realize most ppl do not have jobs that
would put up with such and they tend to see dropping out altogether as
being easier. There is also the problem in finding a reasonably priced
place to leave the boat each time and transport to and from each new
boat location. Many places are less than optimum and your boat can
suffer while you are away.
Fortunately, in the last year or two, I am able to really do this sort
of "Interuppted cruising" and was s'posed to be doing it now but a
collapsing mast step interuppted my plans, although maybe that is also
part of the adventure. A key part of my plan is that the boat cannot
be such an investment that I would suffer a lot financially if she was
sunk, stolen, or otherwise destroyed while I am away from her. This
means settling for a low level of amenities but I am used to camping
so being on the boat is a luxury even with its comparatively spartan
accomodations.
I have not really worked out how to find places to "leave her" when I
places to keep her (I have never had her in a marina). I have seen
places where I would like to leave her that had NO facilities, not
even a dock or even a road. This would mean long term anchoring
(maybe a couple weeks) and I would like to ask ppls opinions on how
best to do this. Any valuable equipment can be carried with me so
having things stolen doesnt bother me. I can easily disable the
engine making her less easy to steal. Maybe I can use hardened chain
going from a spot locked to her bow cleat to a submerged portion of
the anchor rode. Nothin will prevent a seriously determined thief but
most are less determined and my boat has been purposefully left
looking old and tired. I would even consider dumping dead fish into
the cockpit do deter any kids from using her for amorous activities or
as a home for the homeless.
I'd like to hear other ppl thoughts on cruising concepts that do not
involve "dropping out".

David OHara
Larry W4CSC

I have some friends who are full-time cruisers that aren't hermits
living in a cave.

He's a card-carrying licensed electrician. She's a former IRS agent
and tax accountant. Both of these skills are in great demand wherever
the boat happens to be docked, so what they do is cruise until they've
had their fill then pull into a nice port somewhere and GO TO WORK for
from weeks to months, even over a year in Hawaii. He drops into the
local IBEW union hall, shows his card, and has wired up some
impressive buildings across the planet. Wherever he finds a contract
to work under, she drops by the local tax preparer's office,
especially this time of year, and shows her credentials, getting a job
for however long she can stay on the spot.

When the jobs peter out or they simply get fed up working and the
money pot has been refilled.....off they go to find more
adventure.....

Larry W4CSC
POWER is our friend!
Rob Overton

Before we went cruising full-time, we did exactly what you propose --
we'd sail somewhere, leave the boat and return to work for awhile,
then return to wherever the boat was and sail it somewhere else. Our
sojurns aboard were a bit longer than you suggest, 2 or 3 months at a
time. This worked pretty well on the whole, though of course you do
have to find a place to keep the boat, each time.

Lots of people cruise seasonally, either returning home for the "off
season" or leaving the boat in the Caribbean, Mexico, Bahamas, or
wherever they find themselves when they are about to return.

Either of these solutions allows people to enjoy long-distance
cruising and their jobs, too!

Rob Overton
S/V Akka
Barcelona, Spain

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

(Parallax) wrote:

snip...
After a few hours.., I considered, "Would I
embark on long term cruising?" My answer is "Probably no". Basically
it comes down to, Would you drop out and go cruising for a few yrs. I
could do it for a month, maybe two, but after that, I would go nuts.
Even under the most optimum social conditions on the boat, I couldnt
do it. I just have too much fun working.

snip

I'd like to hear other ppl thoughts on cruising concepts that do not
involve "dropping out".

The part of this that I have a problem with are "I just have too much
fun working". That's not the norm IME. I enjoyed my job, and I felt
that it was important. But I was not a bit sorry to retire and not to
have to deal with the commute and the attitude of the powers that be
that I would spend my time playing games or sleeping or gossiping
around the water cooler unless they were looking over my shoulder
every minute to be sure I was working.

Bob is one of those workaholic people who really wasn't happy unless
he was doing something. He's retired 3 or 4 times and then gone back
to work each time. One of the reasons I was OK with the idea of a
boat was because I KNEW at the outset that the boat would take a lot
of work, and I thought it would keep him busy and happy in retirement.

We now cruise for half (or a little more than half) of the year and
come back to our house in the summer. After 4 years, Bob has gotten
incredibly relaxed compared to before. This is a Good Thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'optimum social conditions' with regard
to boating. Do you mean that you are an introvert and need your
space and you don't think you could be cooped up together with someone
else for long? We've got a big enough boat that Bob can go off in his
own space if he gets annoyed of me.

Or are you an extrovert type person who is most happy in a group?
There's lots of opportunities to interface with others - lots of boats
cruise in a group and are on the radio to each other all the time.
That's not our way, although we (me particularly) do talked to folks a
lot - we just aren't joined at the hip to anyone else.

It may be that eventually you WILL want to "drop out" but that you
aren't at that point in your life yet. One of the things that's
important to know is when you reach the transition points in life and
to prepare for them.

grandma Rosalie

Charles T. Low

David,

I feel a bit like when people discuss winning a lottery. Apparently there
are lots of stories of sadness and stress associated with suddenly being
catapulted into wealth, but I would be willing to risk it!

Same with long-term cruising. One would need the "right" boat (for
yourself - varies), and the "right" crew - but given those, and adequate
resources: sign me up. As grandma Rosalie says, there's always so much to do
that boredom wouldn't really be an option.

And the world, strange to say, continues rotating when any one individual
drops out of the workforce.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
..."Would I
embark on long term cruising?" My answer is "Probably no". Basically
it comes down to, Would you drop out and go cruising for a few yrs. I
could do it for a month, maybe two, but after that, I would go nuts...

Parallax

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
[...]

By "optimum social conditions", I mean I used to live in Wyoming and
thought it was crowded but still liked being able to see ppl from a
distance. My wife makes me nuts when she is aboard so I prefer
sailing alone.
For reasons I havent figgered out, the almighty has chosen to bless my
unworthiness with finding exactly what I should be doing on this earth
so I am unreasonably happy working. Cruising seems to be a way to get
out and get perspective to get more good ideas (about work). Its like
going for an extended walk and thinking. My role in life is to invent
weird techi things and I need a lot of equipment to do it so I need to
spend time at my lab. Even if I worked on cruising stuff, it would
take some ability to make things.

So, I am curious.....How do other ppl leave their boat in places? Do
you simply pay a fee in a marina (A marina?, what a weird concept.) or
leave her at pvt docks (thats what I normally do, meet stranger ppl
that way)?

I s'pose that if I could invent the optimum dinghy, I would be happy
to have made a contribution to society and be happy to cruise.....