Parallax

Default Would you go long term cruising?

While at a baot yard today checking on having my boat hauled to have
transducers installed, I ran into a friend I had long ago lost track
of. 10 years ago, he bought an old higher quality boat and him and
his wife proceeded on a 10 yr project to completely re-build it as a
long distance cruiser. In this time, I dont think he ever really went
sailing so we lost touch. However, here they were, finally living on
the boat and are within a week of casting off for long term cruising.
They have sold their house and I am certain they had it paid for so
must have the financial wherewithal to cruise for several yrs. The
boat is truly beautiful with the sort of details I have never imagined
on any production boat.
After a few hours in which I got over my admiration for the 10 yr
obsessiveness that enabled them to do this, I considered, "Would I
embark on long term cruising?" My answer is "Probably no". Basically
it comes down to, Would you drop out and go cruising for a few yrs. I
could do it for a month, maybe two, but after that, I would go nuts.
Even under the most optimum social conditions on the boat, I couldnt
do it. I just have too much fun working. Maybe its a form of
arrogance to think that society really needs what I do or maybe a sort
of puritanical guilt. I'd be afraid my mind would turn to jelly after
being away for long.
My ideal cruising concept is to go for a couple weeks at a time and
then back to work leaving the boat in some spot from which the
adventure could continue. I realize most ppl do not have jobs that
would put up with such and they tend to see dropping out altogether as
being easier. There is also the problem in finding a reasonably priced
place to leave the boat each time and transport to and from each new
boat location. Many places are less than optimum and your boat can
suffer while you are away.
Fortunately, in the last year or two, I am able to really do this sort
of "Interuppted cruising" and was s'posed to be doing it now but a
collapsing mast step interuppted my plans, although maybe that is also
part of the adventure. A key part of my plan is that the boat cannot
be such an investment that I would suffer a lot financially if she was
sunk, stolen, or otherwise destroyed while I am away from her. This
means settling for a low level of amenities but I am used to camping
so being on the boat is a luxury even with its comparatively spartan
accomodations.
I have not really worked out how to find places to "leave her" when I
places to keep her (I have never had her in a marina). I have seen
places where I would like to leave her that had NO facilities, not
even a dock or even a road. This would mean long term anchoring
(maybe a couple weeks) and I would like to ask ppls opinions on how
best to do this. Any valuable equipment can be carried with me so
having things stolen doesnt bother me. I can easily disable the
engine making her less easy to steal. Maybe I can use hardened chain
going from a spot locked to her bow cleat to a submerged portion of
the anchor rode. Nothin will prevent a seriously determined thief but
most are less determined and my boat has been purposefully left
looking old and tired. I would even consider dumping dead fish into
the cockpit do deter any kids from using her for amorous activities or
as a home for the homeless.
I'd like to hear other ppl thoughts on cruising concepts that do not
involve "dropping out".

David OHara