Rosalie B.

Default Would you go long term cruising?

x-no-archive:yes

(Parallax) wrote:

snip...
After a few hours.., I considered, "Would I
embark on long term cruising?" My answer is "Probably no". Basically
it comes down to, Would you drop out and go cruising for a few yrs. I
could do it for a month, maybe two, but after that, I would go nuts.
Even under the most optimum social conditions on the boat, I couldnt
do it. I just have too much fun working.

snip

I'd like to hear other ppl thoughts on cruising concepts that do not
involve "dropping out".

The part of this that I have a problem with are "I just have too much
fun working". That's not the norm IME. I enjoyed my job, and I felt
that it was important. But I was not a bit sorry to retire and not to
have to deal with the commute and the attitude of the powers that be
that I would spend my time playing games or sleeping or gossiping
around the water cooler unless they were looking over my shoulder
every minute to be sure I was working.

Bob is one of those workaholic people who really wasn't happy unless
he was doing something. He's retired 3 or 4 times and then gone back
to work each time. One of the reasons I was OK with the idea of a
boat was because I KNEW at the outset that the boat would take a lot
of work, and I thought it would keep him busy and happy in retirement.

We now cruise for half (or a little more than half) of the year and
come back to our house in the summer. After 4 years, Bob has gotten
incredibly relaxed compared to before. This is a Good Thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'optimum social conditions' with regard
to boating. Do you mean that you are an introvert and need your
space and you don't think you could be cooped up together with someone
else for long? We've got a big enough boat that Bob can go off in his
own space if he gets annoyed of me.

Or are you an extrovert type person who is most happy in a group?
There's lots of opportunities to interface with others - lots of boats
cruise in a group and are on the radio to each other all the time.
That's not our way, although we (me particularly) do talked to folks a
lot - we just aren't joined at the hip to anyone else.

It may be that eventually you WILL want to "drop out" but that you
aren't at that point in your life yet. One of the things that's
important to know is when you reach the transition points in life and
to prepare for them.

grandma Rosalie