Paul Schilter

Tuuk,
From what I've read, home schooler's excel above the other students. I'm
sure some parents are better at this than others but the figures said they
for the most part are doing very well.
Paul

"Tuuk" wrote in message
Another reason why the east excels ,,, let your children learn in a proper
learning environment. I know that is tough to do in the west,, tough to
find a good one. But when they become 25 years old and need to compete for
a job, they may get stuck looking for the union job like Harry did. 17% of
Americans are forced to unionize, not much market value.

"K. Smith" wrote in message
Tamaroak wrote:
My bride and I are considering taking a year off and doing the Great
Circle Route/Loop, a mere 5000 miles around the east coast, the Erie
Canal and the Tenn-Tom. We would take our boys who will be 14 and 15 and
home schooling them on the boat, using a prepared curriculum and a
satellite Internet connection.

Does anyone out there have any experience in this type of adventure?

Capt. Jeff

Great idea!!! Your boys will love it & it'll be the best time of all your
lives.

In my cruising days (too long ago now:-() we oft came across people with
their kids from babies on up, I've had my grandkids on board the current
boat for weeks at a time, one since 11 days old.

The older kids really become part of the whole boating adventure & you'll
find they grow up & mature much quicker & better than their bored at home
friends.

Give them lots of boat responsibility (but stay safe of course:-)) &
room, they'll be meeting all sorts along the way which is what the young
need to experience.

Here downunder they use a correspondence system with internet (used to be
HF radio) even at home kids use it in the outback, so there's no down
side to their education indeed if you &/or your partner get involved the
whole family's education will improve:-)

I'm sure your boys are angels & you'd never have anything to worry about
in their teen years, just as all parents believe;-) but alas these days
it seems all sorts of new temptations, risks & pitfalls await them. Being
with you as a family will help guide them through & out the other side,
it seems there's only about 12 mths they need to get through, those that
do are fine for life with a good attitude & education, those that don't
have a lesser life & it seems to remain thus right to the end.

Have a great time & enjoy showing your boys that being a responsible
adult doesn't mean you're near dead & you can still have an exciting
adventu-)