Default how necessary is a windlass

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:32:11 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snippage

That's exactly what I was thinking... what happens if it fails...
mechanical and electrical things fail all the time, sometimes because
of your own stupidity (like, ummm... running out of gas) or because
there's a flaw or it wears out. What if something gets jammed in it? I
don't really think this is so much an age thing as it is a brains
thing. I know some pretty tough people in their 60's and 70's.

Young lady, you display an ability to think more clearly than most of the
so-called men in this group (rbc). Windlasses are infamous for jamming (not
to mention taking off a finger or a toe of the unwary user). And you're
right about some of use sextagenarians being tough. But, tough as I am I'd
rather downsize than have to deal with something too big and heavy for my
own good.

I guess it comes down to how much work you want it to be to go sailing
and spend the night somewhere without worrying about straining your
back.

Would it not be wise for aged sailors to consider downsizing? Is it not
more
gratifying to sail something one can still handle instead of being at the
mercy of systems that often fail at the worst possible times?

Just a thought. This bigger is better attitude is just plain stupid.

I think if everyone downsized a little bit, this would be a better
place to live. Do we really need all those SUVs on the road??

The SUV bunch is bad enough but what about the greedy people driving RV's?
Those things just seem to get bigger and bigger. Many are now bigger than a
Greyhound bus and they stink up the joint with diesel fumes every bit as
badly. They should be outlawed. Land yachts are just awful and so
unnecessary. Those people are just too timid to invest in an environmentally
friendly sailboat. They drive around demanding all the comforts of home. My
suggestion to them would be to just stay home then. Duh!

Wilbur Hubbard

I am totally uninterested in RV life. It seems like you should just
get a motel room. I guess people might think it's more free when you
can roam where you want, but with gas prices the way they are, it
doesn't seem like much savings.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:39:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:00:01 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

If you find yourself actually needing an anchor windlass then it should
tell
you that what you really need is a smaller boat with smaller ground
tackle.
Or, you might need to examine your technique. If you can't brute force
something perhaps you can finesse it - like using the displacement of your
hull to break the anchor free or reducing the chain length or using the
(heaven forbid) the auxiliary. Just a thought.

There speaks the man with the tiny boat. Exhibiting both his envy of
his betters and his stupidity.

It is a well-known FACT that smaller sailboats sail more often than their
larger cousins.

Case closed!

Wilbur Hubbard

I think there's a pretty good case for what you say... seems to me
that most people would want to have some help with a bigger boat? That
means coordinating a bunch of people or both people in a couple having
time and money to take off at the same time.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 18:27:07 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
snip

If you find yourself actually needing an anchor windlass then it should
tell
you that what you really need is a smaller boat with smaller ground
tackle.
Or, you might need to examine your technique. If you can't brute force
something perhaps you can finesse it - like using the displacement of
your
hull to break the anchor free or reducing the chain length or using the
(heaven forbid) the auxiliary. Just a thought.

There speaks the man with the tiny boat. Exhibiting both his envy of
his betters and his stupidity.

It is a well-known FACT that smaller sailboats sail more often than their
larger cousins.

Case closed!

Wilbur Hubbard

If that is true, and I'm not saying that it is, what is your excuse
for sitting there for all these years on the yellow peril?

Waiting for the right girl to come along, maybe? When a man has sailed the
world lone-handed he just might decide it would be a nice thing to share
with the right woman.

Wilbur Hubbard

Probably you're right. When are you planning on starting your world
sailing trip?

Cheers,

Bruce

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 18:25:07 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:37:19 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
snip

Willie-boy, I keep telling you and telling you that you exhibit your
lack of knowledge every time you open your mouth. My mate, the
Australian, is 76 years old and sails a 55 ft Ferro boat with a
mechanical anchor windless and gets along quite well single handing
it.

Of course, he IS a sailor, not a wantabe.
Cheers,

Nothing looks quite a silly as an old man with skinny arms off of which
the
skin hangs in folds standing on the bow of an overly large and cumbersome
yacht pulling on the lever of a creaky old mechanical windlass, slowly
stroking away with one inch of chain coming in at a pull.

If that isn't a good enough argument for downsizing then nothing will
convince you.

Just goes to show you how little some people know about boats. People
who sail 50' ferro boats don't have an expensive lever operated
Simpson Lawrence winch. they have a geared two speed, local made,
fisherman windlass. the one with the exposed gears. See
http://motivationdocksupply.com/winc...nd-winches.php for an
example.

Cheers,

Bruce

That would look real nice on a farm tractor. LOL! Do they sell one in John
Deere green?

Wilbur Hubbard

As I have repeatedly said. Every time you open your mouth you reveal
more and more your amazing lack of knowledge.

The paint you see on the winch is the primer. You can either leave it
that way or you can put a coat of lemon yellow paint on it. Whatever
shakes your tree.

(Primer, Willie-boy is the first coat of paint. Usually with some
anti-corrosion properties if used on steel.)
Cheers,

Bruce

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:18:02 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! I will recommend those windlasses to my freind with the Endeavour 42.

Well... an Endeavour 42 IS a bit more upmarket then a ferrocement
boat, usually :-)

Cheers,

Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:18:02 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:37:19 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Those things are so S-L-O-W! (and ugly)

Wilbur Hubbard

In article s.com,
llid says...

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:18:02 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

S-L-O-W and ugly are relative. Are you in such a big hurry that the
difference between 4Kt and 6Kt makea a big difference?

Mark Borgerson

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 22:39:40 -0800, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

In article s.com,
says...

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:18:02 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

I just did a simple calculation... say you wanted to go 1000 miles,
1000m/6mph = 7 days vs. 1000m/4mph = 10 days. This seems like a big
difference to me, but what do I know.

I guess I agree that ugly is relative.

Jessica B wrote:

I just did a simple calculation... say you wanted to go 1000 miles,
1000m/6mph = 7 days vs. 1000m/4mph = 10 days. This seems like a big
difference to me, but what do I know.

I guess I agree that ugly is relative.

Depends on how much water you have left at 7 days...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

What battery for windlass? [email protected] Cruising 13 May 26th 08 09:25 PM
Windlass wiring jonasb Boat Building 3 May 25th 05 04:05 PM
Windlass on an Alura 35 Clarence Bell General 0 January 7th 05 12:15 AM
Windlass advice Gary General 6 August 21st 04 03:47 PM
Anybody need a windlass? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 0 September 23rd 03 12:43 AM