Default how necessary is a windlass

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:18:02 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:37:19 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
m...
snip

Willie-boy, I keep telling you and telling you that you exhibit your
lack of knowledge every time you open your mouth. My mate, the
Australian, is 76 years old and sails a 55 ft Ferro boat with a
mechanical anchor windless and gets along quite well single handing
it.

Of course, he IS a sailor, not a wantabe.
Cheers,

Nothing looks quite a silly as an old man with skinny arms off of which
the
skin hangs in folds standing on the bow of an overly large and
cumbersome
yacht pulling on the lever of a creaky old mechanical windlass, slowly
stroking away with one inch of chain coming in at a pull.

If that isn't a good enough argument for downsizing then nothing will
convince you.

Just goes to show you how little some people know about boats. People
who sail 50' ferro boats don't have an expensive lever operated
Simpson Lawrence winch. they have a geared two speed, local made,
fisherman windlass. the one with the exposed gears. See
http://motivationdocksupply.com/winc...nd-winches.php for an
example.

Wow! I will recommend those windlasses to my freind with the Endeavour 42.

Well... an Endeavour 42 IS a bit more upmarket then a ferrocement
boat, usually :-)

Those things are so S-L-O-W! (and ugly)

Wilbur Hubbard