Gary

Default Windlass advice

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 32' Albemarle Express. It is loaded with
lots of goodies, but it seems that the previous owner never installed a
windlass. I'd like to add one soon. I've been looking in the usual
catalogs and on Ebay. I've found lots of them, but to be perfectly honest,
I've never used one. I have lots of experience on lots of boats, boats, but
for whatever reason, none of them have ever had a windlass, so I am a bit
unfamiliar with them. I have noticed several things in my reading. There
seem to be at least 2 basic designs...vertical and horizontal. I have seen
low profile and ones with a capstan. I have also seen a large difference in
the pulling power of them and an even greater range in price.

I'm kind of curious about the differences. Any advantage of vertical over
horizontal? On the models that say they have a capstan, they look like they
have whatever the piece is called that grips the rode and winds it up and
then a large spool on top of that. I assume that part is the capstan.
Since it appears that the rode is normally wound under that capstan, what is
the capstan for? How much pulling power should I look for? The boats
displacement is 17,000 lbs. Lastly, are there any brands that I should stay
away from or any that I should seek out?

Thanks for all replies!

Gary

Ed

I have had excellent luck with the Lofrans Progress 1 1000 Watt with
the Gypsy and the capstan. I had one on my 33' Phoenix for 8 years (I
owned it for 5, a friend owned it for the last 3) and I also put the
same one on my 48' boat and have had no problems for the last 3 years.
A bit undersized for a 48 but no problems when you use the engines to help.

I use it with a bridge remote and if you have have quality anchor line
and the right size chain with a properly tailed connection between them
(No shackles) you can run it all remotely. I also have up and down
deck switchs on the bow to run it from there.

I like the models with the gypsy (Handles chain and/or line) and the
capstan (Line only) because I can use the gypsy for my main anchor AND I
can use the capstan for my backup (kedge) anchor or for adjusting lines
in a wind, etc. I paid $1043 for the progress. Not sure if I paid
more for the switches and the two required solendoids or not.

Good Luck,

Ed

Gary wrote:
[...]

Gary

Thanks for the advice Ed! I looked that model of windlass up and there are
a few on Ebay at a pretty good price. I'm wondering something about the
capstan though. On models that have a capstan, is it possible to operate
the capstan and not the gypsy? I mean, if you have your main anchor set and
need to adjust your other anchor, do you end up adjusting BOTH lines? Can
you operate them independently, or when one turns does the other turn with
it? Also, does this model of windlass freefall your anchor or power it
down? Do windlasses normally have the ability do freefall AND power, or are
they usually one or the other?

Also, I see that this windlass is set vertically. Is there an advantage to
this design over a horizontal one, or is it more cosmetic?

Thanks again!

Gary

Gary wrote:
[...]

Gary

I emailed Albemarle and asked if a windlass was / is an option on the 320
Express and they said that it was and that they used the Maxwell Freedom
500. I looked this up on the web and it seems underpowered and lacks the
capstan. I think I really would like to have that after reading all of your
advice.

Does anyone have any experience with the Maxwell Freedom 500 windlass
though?

Any opinions about putting this model on an Albemarle 320 Express?

TIA!

"Gary" wrote in message
r.com...
[...]

Cleesturtle

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:49:57 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Much too light.

And where on the web did you find this information?