Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default how necessary is a windlass

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:32:11 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snippage

That's exactly what I was thinking... what happens if it fails...
mechanical and electrical things fail all the time, sometimes because
of your own stupidity (like, ummm... running out of gas) or because
there's a flaw or it wears out. What if something gets jammed in it? I
don't really think this is so much an age thing as it is a brains
thing. I know some pretty tough people in their 60's and 70's.

Young lady, you display an ability to think more clearly than most of the
so-called men in this group (rbc). Windlasses are infamous for jamming (not
to mention taking off a finger or a toe of the unwary user). And you're
right about some of use sextagenarians being tough. But, tough as I am I'd
rather downsize than have to deal with something too big and heavy for my
own good.

I guess it comes down to how much work you want it to be to go sailing
and spend the night somewhere without worrying about straining your
back.

Would it not be wise for aged sailors to consider downsizing? Is it not
more
gratifying to sail something one can still handle instead of being at the
mercy of systems that often fail at the worst possible times?

Just a thought. This bigger is better attitude is just plain stupid.

I think if everyone downsized a little bit, this would be a better
place to live. Do we really need all those SUVs on the road??

The SUV bunch is bad enough but what about the greedy people driving RV's?
Those things just seem to get bigger and bigger. Many are now bigger than a
Greyhound bus and they stink up the joint with diesel fumes every bit as
badly. They should be outlawed. Land yachts are just awful and so
unnecessary. Those people are just too timid to invest in an environmentally
friendly sailboat. They drive around demanding all the comforts of home. My
suggestion to them would be to just stay home then. Duh!

Wilbur Hubbard

I am totally uninterested in RV life. It seems like you should just
get a motel room. I guess people might think it's more free when you
can roam where you want, but with gas prices the way they are, it
doesn't seem like much savings.