Bob Bob is offline

Default sailing junk

On Feb 27, 10:03*pm, Joe wrote:
On Feb 27, 7:58*pm, Bob wrote:

What happened Bob?
Are you on the boat yet?

Joe

Well, a day to get the physical. The doc looked in my mouth and said,
"humm you have good teeth" as if he was surprised just to see more
than 8. Then he asked me to touch my toes. When I leaned over and put
my palms on the floor he stood back and said, " ya dont see many men
who cna do that.!" Then he told me to go wait in the loby.....

Then there was two days of reading manuals and taking computer tests
and a day of first aid/auto defib/etc. Had Th-Fr off and next week
have four more days of training. Somthing called Safe Gulf, upside
down helo in the water egress, and some other stuff. To say the least
this companay belives in training! But thats. cool im in a hotel on
the comapny and getting half pay.

I might be on a boat in 10+ days.

Ive seen HELP WANTED signs for:
Gulf Fleet
J Ray McDermott
Rigdon
Bank Towing (had a tv add I saw yeasterday)

Jobs are to be had if wanted.

Bob
Arg!

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:58:27 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

Fast, stout, beautiful scows.... ummmm my dream boat!

I would love to have an A scow. Thirty MPH on a good day.

Casady

On Feb 27, 11:15*pm, Bob wrote:
On Feb 27, 10:03*pm, Joe wrote:

On Feb 27, 7:58*pm, Bob wrote:

[...]

the egress is a cake walk if you just maintain the orentation in your
head. the OBA jog around the building is not fun due mostly to the
cheapskate schools that wont actually put inriched air in the bloody
things.

what school they got you going to is it the one just past the helo
tour on the left side of the road?

and I think you have the in the water survival suit drill. dont do it
as fast as you where tought to do it here.
the instructors dont like it when you are in the suit before they
finish speaking. It takes me 11 seconds to get in my suit. lets just
say that i did my survival suit trick several times to satisfy the
instructors curiosity (pardon while i cuss for a moment,,, about
bloody ****ing stupid gulf sailors that have no ****ing training in
cold water survival trying to tell real qualified international
captians how to ****ing survive at sea. the fat ****s are good for
nothing other than food....all better now) you might notice that i
have a little problem with the whole "training" issue. the fire
fighting is fun if they let it out and you get to play. I really liked
the inferno room . being ingulfed in flame is fun as long as you
have a nicely charged fire hose. have fun
good luck and keep us informed.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:50:11 -0800 (PST), Two meter troll
wrote:

the fire
fighting is fun if they let it out and you get to play. I really liked
the inferno room . being ingulfed in flame is fun as long as you
have a nicely charged fire hose. have fun
good luck and keep us informed.

I once went tthrough a land based fire fighting training program where
we were put in the upper floor of a concrete tower with a raging fire
set on the first floor. It was very memorable, interesting and
educational.

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 28, 2:50*pm, Two meter troll wrote:
On Feb 27, 11:15*pm, Bob wrote:

On Feb 27, 10:03*pm, Joe wrote:

On Feb 27, 7:58*pm, Bob wrote:

[...]

What........ you eat them? I dont get the "nothing other than food
line".
Surprised people eat more than meat and spuds, or moose?

Anyway, the waters pretty warm, hence your ability to skunk dem
southern boys into a cold water survival suit.
Working deck on a supply boats in winter the yankees could not
understand wearing a P-Coat and shorts. The ones that were not so dumb
caught on...eventually.

Bob should be more worried about getting squashed, hit, cut, burned or
gassed, cold water is the least of his worries.

The helo egress school is fun, did it while working for Mobil. Once
fished out the crew of a bell Ranger. Only one pontoon
inflated,classic roll. We tried to tow the helo to a crane but it tore
in half and sunk.

Joe

you might notice that i
have a little problem with the whole "training" issue. the fire
fighting is fun if they let it out and you get to play. I really liked
the inferno room . being ingulfed in flame is fun as long as you
have a nicely charged fire hose. have fun
good luck and keep us informed.- Hide quoted text -

What........ you eat them? I dont get the "nothing other than food
line".
Surprised people eat more than meat and spuds, or moose?

they dont go skinny fast, cant get into a survival suit so they die
quick after you get them on the raft. what else you gonna do with
them?

Anyway, the waters pretty warm, hence your ability to skunk dem
southern boys into a cold water survival suit.
Working deck on a supply boats in winter the yankees could not
understand wearing a P-Coat and shorts. The ones that were not so dumb
caught on...eventually.

same comes the other way. southerners arriving in dead horse with
nothing heavier that a cotton shirt and chinos. if they dont die,,
eventually some figure it out. I worked both places; make no misteak
there is a class of west, east and northern sailors that i find just
as bloody lothsome. most are involved in "training" and "safety". we
call them dock lawyers (no actual experiance but lots of ideas and
law). its this stupid idea that because you have passed a paper test
you have any idea of the reality of the actual experiance. the group i
was in was composed of mostly unlimited tonnage ticket holders IRRC
the combined sea time was someplace around 150 years in almost all
oceans. our "instructor" had ten years working in the gulf of mexico
and a sheet of paper that said he passed a written instructor test. I
have a sweater that has more seatime and more experiance in the tight
spots.

Bob should be more worried about getting squashed, hit, cut, burned or
gassed, cold water is the least of his worries.

no diffrent than on northern boats. the only change is that many of
the folks he will be working with down yonder have a sheet of TP that
says they are skippers signed by eddison schwest. no skill requierd.

On Feb 28, 8:26*pm, Two meter troll wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a union thing.

its this stupid idea that because you have passed a paper test
you have any idea of the reality of the actual experiance. the group i
was in was composed of mostly unlimited tonnage ticket holders IRRC
the combined sea time was someplace around 150 years in almost all
oceans. our "instructor" had ten years working in the gulf of mexico
and a sheet of paper that said he passed a written instructor test. I
have a sweater that has more seatime and more experiance in the tight
spots.

Some are better at teaching than doing.

Bob should be more worried about getting squashed, hit, cut, burned or
gassed, cold water is the least of his worries.

no diffrent than on northern boats. the only change is that many of
the folks he will be working with down yonder have a sheet of TP that
says they are skippers signed by eddison schwest. *no skill requierd.

I dont know about that, but we had a hundred from the great lakes, or
fresh out of King's point that thought they were hot ****. Not to many
PNW people came to the gulf needing a boat.

To bad you guys can't keep a fleet going that can support you and
your familys.

Yall have to come "down yonder" to makes da money and feels bad that
the boys with sea time on dem Edison Chouest not "eddison schwest"
boats teech you stuff you allready know.

Show me a nicer crab boat that a Chouset boat
https://professionalmariner.com/Medi...cle/905956.jpg

I'd rather earn sea time from Edison Chouest than most anyone. My wife
did get sea time on a Chouest seismic boat.

Joe

*The helo egress school is fun, did it while working for Mobil. Once
fished out the crew of a bell Ranger. Only one pontoon
inflated,classic roll. We tried to tow the helo to a crane but it tore
in half and sunk.

Joe- Hide quoted text -

junk Lew Hodgett[_4_] Boat Building 0 December 5th 08 11:52 PM
Junk Floats Bill H General 4 August 10th 08 10:31 PM
Is your boat JUNK? Capt. Rob ASA 17 December 23rd 05 10:49 AM
junk jet ski wanted Ookie Wonderslug Boat Building 4 June 12th 04 02:50 AM
dumping the junk Shen44 ASA 73 August 24th 03 06:10 AM