posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor
ajw ajw is offline

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

Hi

I am a member of a Scuba diving club and we are investigating replacing
our outboard engines.

We currently have two Zodiac 5m inflatable boats (not RIBs) with 40HP 2
stroke Mariner outboards. These are reaching the end of their lives and
we are looking at replacing them.

With the new legislation coming in we are looking at 2 stroke vs 4
stroke. I am aware that few people use 4 strokes on inflatables and
fewer would manhandle them down beaches removing and replacing them
daily as we do.

Does anyone have any experience of using 4 strokes on inflatable boats
in this way? Are there any implcations to the angle you can carry/store
them?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Anthony Whittaker

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

"ajw" wrote in
ups.com:

Are there any implcations to the angle you can carry/store
them?

Yes. In any engine with loose lube oil inside it, you can only tilt,
carry and store it in certain locations. If, for instance, you were to
store it so the oil ran up against the bottom of the pistons, oil would
get past the rings into the top of the cylinders, after a time as they
are not hermetically sealed. It could become hydrolocked with lube oil,
which would bend the rods trying to get it past TDC on the compression
stroke with the valves closed. If the oil in the crankcase ran out the
crankcase vents in another position, what a mess. Cranking that would be
running the engine way low on lube oil, the oil that ran out now missing
from where it is needed.

The permissible carrying and storage positions designed into the portable
4-stroke outboards is defined in the owner's manual. Check that before
buying them. They are also much more complex and heavy than the
simplistic 2-strokers with no valve trains, camshafts, etc. a 4-stroker
must have. How far down the beach did you say you had to carry these
beasts? It's also an issue.

I tried to quote from Mercury or Evinrude from a downloaded owner's
manual, but both websites tried to force me to install Flash players so
they could run code on my computer to spy on me, which I will not permit,
and, once that was bypassed, informed me I had to already be an owner to
download an Evinrude owner's manual, making me question, "What are they
hiding?", as it costs them nothing to let me have a look, being a
potential customer.

Larry
--
Turkeys will be cheaper, Friday morning...(sigh)

"Larry" wrote in message
I tried to quote from Mercury or Evinrude from a downloaded owner's
manual, but both websites tried to force me to install Flash players so
they could run code on my computer to spy on me, which I will not permit,
and, once that was bypassed, informed me I had to already be an owner to
download an Evinrude owner's manual, making me question, "What are they
hiding?", as it costs them nothing to let me have a look, being a
potential customer.

Larry
--
Turkeys will be cheaper, Friday morning...(sigh)

Perhaps I'm naive, but since when is Flash spyware?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

Perhaps I'm naive, but since when is Flash spyware?

It isn't, however it is used for quite a few annoying ads.

Firefox to the rescue, the flashblock extension makes every flash object
just a button you can push if you want it to load. Adblock lets you
block ads, I really can't see how anyone can stand to use the internet
any other way these days.

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Perhaps I'm naive, but since when is Flash spyware?

It isn't, however it is used for quite a few annoying ads.

Firefox to the rescue, the flashblock extension makes every flash object
just a button you can push if you want it to load. Adblock lets you block
ads, I really can't see how anyone can stand to use the internet any other
way these days.

Yeah, I switched to Firefox about a year ago after finding out how much
spyware IE was encouraging on my system, and I regret the switch not even a
little.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

I love my 4 stroke yamaha for it's clean burning and fuel economy but
it weighs a lot more than my old mercury 2 stroke. I sure wouldn't
want to carry it down a beach. Don't some of the new 2 strokes use
direct injection for lower emissions?

[...]

and don't some of those 2 strokes have fuel-to-oil ratios approaching 100:1
?
Not a lot of pollution there.

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
[...]

Are you off your meds again :-)

Larry wrote:
"ajw" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

I have replaced a small auxiliary outboard on my trailer sailer with a
4-stroke, it's heavier, seems a little less powerful, quieter, far more
economic & easier to start. I've never carried it anywhere a beach but
its a pain to get into the tender.... (They aren't called tender for
nothing)

My club has recently bought a 5m rib with a 4-stroke 40 on the back to
'patrol' the races. Its nice, but the engine IS heavy, is more
economical, less fast, more quiet (See a pattern here?) My only gripe
is that once you've rescued someone, with the rescued dinghy alongside
and 3 people on board, the thing won't plane.

Unless you have light divers with light diving gear and light lead
weights, I'd recommend you buy a 4-stroke 60 for the back of your new
boat. It'll still use less fuel and you should leave it bolted to the
back of the boat, anyway.

Artie

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:58:01 +0000, Gordon Wedman wrote:

and don't some of those 2 strokes have fuel-to-oil ratios approaching 100:1
?
Not a lot of pollution there.

Oh, really? How much pollution is a lot? (Yes, that's a rhetorical
question.)

Matt O.