jeffo

Default 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke??

Hello, Would a 6hp 4 stroke outboard (1 cyl) have equal or better
performance when compared to a 6hp 2 stroke (2 cyl) ? I'm replacing a 6hp
Yamaha on my Livingston 7.5 tender and was thinking of using a 6hp 4 stroke
Tohatsu.

Yamaha no longer makes the 6hp 2 stroke. Weight is a major concern. The
Yamaha 8hp. 2 stroke is still available but about $300 more than the 6hp
Tohatsu 4 stroke so I'd go for the Tohatsu if perfomance were similar.

I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Jeff
Kalama, WA

Calif Bill

"jeffo" wrote in message
Hello, Would a 6hp 4 stroke outboard (1 cyl) have equal or better
performance when compared to a 6hp 2 stroke (2 cyl) ? I'm replacing a 6hp
Yamaha on my Livingston 7.5 tender and was thinking of using a 6hp 4

stroke
Tohatsu.

Yamaha no longer makes the 6hp 2 stroke. Weight is a major concern. The
Yamaha 8hp. 2 stroke is still available but about $300 more than the 6hp
Tohatsu 4 stroke so I'd go for the Tohatsu if perfomance were similar.

I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Jeff
Kalama, WA

Go with the 4 stroke. This is not a high performance bass boat. I changed
my 15 hp Mariner 2 stroke kicker for a Yamaha T-8 4 stroke. Quiet, runs
close to the same as the Mariner performance wise (displacement mode) and no
smells or smoke. Almost forgot how much nicer the 4 stroke was until
yesterday. Took my 14' aluminum boat out for a test run as I am selling it
(Kiss my Bass, asskisser) and sure the boat ran well, but trolling with the
2 stroke, more vibrations and some smoke.
Bill

Capt Frank Hopkins

Bad vaibes? You have a point, but the 4 stroke Yamaha has far less head
wagging then the 2 stroke. Suzuki's motors have even less then yammy's
offering and are less money. Tohatsu is an ok engine, but heavy and
sometimes hard to start and MUST have the waterpump impeller replaced every
year.

Capt. Frank
ink.net...

jeffo wrote:
Hello, Would a 6hp 4 stroke outboard (1 cyl) have equal or better
performance when compared to a 6hp 2 stroke (2 cyl) ? I'm replacing a

6hp
Yamaha on my Livingston 7.5 tender and was thinking of using a 6hp 4

stroke
Tohatsu.

Yamaha no longer makes the 6hp 2 stroke. Weight is a major concern.

The
Yamaha 8hp. 2 stroke is still available but about $300 more than the

6hp
Tohatsu 4 stroke so I'd go for the Tohatsu if perfomance were similar.

I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Jeff
Kalama, WA

Dan Krueger

My experiences are with a 4 HP Suzuki 4 stroke and a 4 HP Yamaha 2 stroke. Both
vibrated like a chainsaw. The 9.9 HP Yamaha 4 stroke is a hell of a lot better.
- I've run one of them, too.

Dan

jeffo wrote:

Hello, Would a 6hp 4 stroke outboard (1 cyl) have equal or better
performance when compared to a 6hp 2 stroke (2 cyl) ? I'm replacing a

6hp

Yamaha on my Livingston 7.5 tender and was thinking of using a 6hp 4

stroke

Tohatsu.

Yamaha no longer makes the 6hp 2 stroke. Weight is a major concern.

The

Yamaha 8hp. 2 stroke is still available but about $300 more than the

6hp

Tohatsu 4 stroke so I'd go for the Tohatsu if perfomance were similar.

I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Jeff
Kalama, WA

Peter

For what it's worth, my experience with a 6hp Nissan/Tohatsu is it revs
fast. Makes a pitch that loosens my fillings. Keep in mind it is the
same displacement as 4hp and 5 hp Tohatsu, both of which are reasonably
quiet. Do you really need 6 hp to push a Livingston 7.5 tender? 8 hp is
the max, perhaps the 5 hp will do fine?
I'd pick the 5hp Tohatsu over the 6hp because it runs at 1,000 fewer
rpms... Certainly the 5 hp Honda is sweet. The 6hp Suzuki revs almost as
fast as the Tohatsu, so I expect it have the high rev sound I hate.
Probably the 4hp Suzuki is not enough power in many cases. The 6hp
Yamaha is a 2 cylinder, and much larger displacement than these others.
I'll bet the 6hp Yamaha will be the quietest (which I like) and run the
smoothest (and is the most expensive).
Whatever you choose, I'd stay away from 2 strokes. These new 4 strokes
burn a lot less fuel and pollute a lot less (two good things) the weight
issue and power issue probably improve in the next year or two and most
2 strokes will be phased out in 2006. If I knew what the engines of 2006
have in store for us, I bet they will be impressive, but you need a
motor now... in that case, I'd say get the 5 hp Tohatsu (a good buy) and
make due with it for 2-3 years, then something far superior to the
choices we have today will be out is my hunch.

jeffo wrote:
Hello, Would a 6hp 4 stroke outboard (1 cyl) have equal or better
performance when compared to a 6hp 2 stroke (2 cyl) ? I'm replacing a 6hp
Yamaha on my Livingston 7.5 tender and was thinking of using a 6hp 4 stroke
Tohatsu.

Yamaha no longer makes the 6hp 2 stroke. Weight is a major concern. The
Yamaha 8hp. 2 stroke is still available but about $300 more than the 6hp
Tohatsu 4 stroke so I'd go for the Tohatsu if perfomance were similar.

I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Jeff
Kalama, WA

Dan Krueger

Yup. 8 HP on up, I think...

Capt Frank Hopkins wrote:

Bad vaibes? You have a point, but the 4 stroke Yamaha has far less head
wagging then the 2 stroke. Suzuki's motors have even less then yammy's
offering and are less money. Tohatsu is an ok engine, but heavy and
sometimes hard to start and MUST have the waterpump impeller replaced

every

year.

Capt. Frank
thlink.net...

jeffo wrote:

Hello, Would a 6hp 4 stroke outboard (1 cyl) have equal or better
performance when compared to a 6hp 2 stroke (2 cyl) ? I'm replacing a

6hp

Yamaha on my Livingston 7.5 tender and was thinking of using a 6hp 4

stroke

Tohatsu.

Yamaha no longer makes the 6hp 2 stroke. Weight is a major concern.

The

Yamaha 8hp. 2 stroke is still available but about $300 more than the

6hp

Tohatsu 4 stroke so I'd go for the Tohatsu if perfomance were similar.

I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Jeff
Kalama, WA

4 stroke produces more "thrust"???? RG General 24 December 10th 03 04:14 AM
Changing Spark Plugs Mercury 4 Stroke Engine Ernie General 0 October 7th 03 04:01 AM
old 2 stroke oil mix calhoun General 5 October 6th 03 07:45 PM
evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM
Honda 4 stroke engines Dan General 11 August 13th 03 02:25 PM