Dan

Default Honda 4 stroke engines

Anyone with experience with Honda's 4 stroke engines. In particular, I am
interested in the 150 - 200 hp engines. Thanks!

Larry

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 02:48:28 GMT, "Dan"
wrote:

Anyone with experience with Honda's 4 stroke engines. In particular, I am
interested in the 150 - 200 hp engines. Thanks!

If you talk to the crabbers whos pots are on the bottom in front of my
house, they either HAVE a Honda outboard on the boat they make their
living with....or.....they WANT a Honda outboard on the boat to
replace the crap that's always broke.....like Johnsons.

I think that speaks for itself. Noone runs an outboard motor more
than an active crabber.....awful punishment.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Bill Kiene

Honda is a good motors.

I did not see they had a 150hp but it could be very new? They show a
115/130hp @ ~500# (heavy) and they show a 200hp/225hp @ ~600#

Yamaha has a 150hp (466#) and a 200hp/225hp @ ~600#.

Suzuki has a 140hp (420#) and a 200/225/250hp @ ~600#. OMC has Suzuki make
their 4 strokes now.

These are all fuel injected 4 strokes.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Dan" wrote in message

Anyone with experience with Honda's 4 stroke engines. In particular, I am
interested in the 150 - 200 hp engines. Thanks!

Rural Knight

"Dan" wrote in message
Anyone with experience with Honda's 4 stroke engines. In particular, I am
interested in the 150 - 200 hp engines. Thanks!

Clammers in Narragansett Bay have them, but I think they are 115s.

I've never heard anything bad about them, but to tell the truth
I've never heard anything outstanding about them either. I do know
that you see them all the time on trailers at the Oakland Beach
launch ramp and either the mechanics or the owners are working
on them. Sometimes it's just a routine oil change, sometimes there
are parts and pieces on a tarp in a neighboring parking slot.

When I do hear about a four stroke it's always "it's so quiet", but
never "man, I can run all day on two teaspoons of fuel". One
clammer I asked directly (he was parked next to me changing his
oil) said he'd never buy another one - changing the oil was a pain
in the....

If I were in the market for a new engine, I'd do some research
first on warranty repairs and their frequency.

Later,

Tom

Rural Knight

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Rural Knight wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

The dealership where we got our Yamaha four stroke also sells Hondas. It
is a long-established, successful dealership and sells lots of engines.
There always are plenty of four-stroke engines in the shop undergoing or
awaiting repair, just as there are plenty of two-stroke engines in the
shop undergoing or waiting for repair.

As for "quiet," our Yamaha is very, very quiet at idle, but seems no
quieter than a two-stroke of corresponding horsepower at cruise speeds.
Burns about the same amount of gasoline as a modern two stroke, too,
according to folks I've talked to with the same boat and a two-stroke
engine.

A little birdie told me the new Johnson E-Tec technology is going to
be the wave of the future, but then again, they said that about FICHT
too. ;)

I didn't mean to disrespect four strokes by the way - I have a
25 horse Merc kicker on my Contender. I just haven't heard
anything good or bad.

Later,

Tom

JG

Dan
I have a 18 ft Lund with a 115 Honda. It is a year and a half old and for my
fishing needs I think it is great motor. My old 17 ft. smokercraft had a
Mariner 115 2 stroke.

I gave up a little speed out of the hole and about 5 mph on the top end, but
remember the Lund is a larger and heavier boat and the motor is also
heavier.

I gained an easier starting engine. It has started the first time from when
I was fishing in the low 20's this spring to the hot days of July on the
family vacation at the lake. the engine is VERY quite at idle or wide open.
When trolling, I can get down to 2.0 MPH ( according to my GPS, fish finder
says 1.5 MPH). I can pull my son up on his wakeboard with many horses to
spare. It is better than my old 115 2 stole on gas. If I am doing a lot of
trolling it is a lot better. If I am running wide open it is still better
but not by as much.

When I got the boat I had the choose between the Yamaha or the Honda 115. 4
stroke. The Honda was 100 lbs heavier but if I had to make the decision
over again I would go Honda again. The Yamie is a nice engine but from my
past experiences with the Honda it should out last any other brand.

As far as oil change.......tilt the motor up place a cut off plastic milk
container and place it under the filter and remove and allow to drain. When
draining the oil have a drain pan handy and there should be no mess.

Now.......after saying all this there is one 2 stroke I would check out
closely and it is the Evinrude E-Tec direct injection engines
http://www.evinrude.com/docs/100/0_US.htm . Just remember a bird in the hand
is better than 2 in the bush. Honda is a proven motor It would be nice to
have 2 or 3 years of history out in front of the Evinrude.

"Dan" wrote in message
Anyone with experience with Honda's 4 stroke engines. In particular, I am
interested in the 150 - 200 hp engines. Thanks!

Marvin Murphy

Most of the crabbers in my area are going to Hondas. One who is a good
friend of mine loves his. The mullet cast net fisherman love them also
because they are so quiet they don't spoke the schools of fish. Myself I own
a 50 hp Mercury 4 stroke and I love it. I've had it a year now with no
problem at all. I will never own another 2 stroke. I like the economy and
the quiet operation. I slow troll a lot and the motor never loads up plus
the quiet operation doesn't spook the fish as easily. changing the oil is no
problem and you don't have to deal with the fumes a 2 stroke puts out. The
only downside is the carbs will clog up if not run farely frequently due to
the smaller jets.

"Dan" wrote in message
Anyone with experience with Honda's 4 stroke engines. In particular, I

am
interested in the 150 - 200 hp engines. Thanks!

I have a Honda four stroke, granted it's only a 10hp for trolling, but I
have had it since 1987 with NO PROBLEMS. It runs like a clock, is very
quiet, and uses 1.5 gallons of fuel per day of trolling all day with
downriggers dragging 100 ft. of cable. If you troll, four stroke is the
way to go, no fouled plugs, no shake and vibration. My honda has been
outstanding. I don't know about the new larger hp. models. Tom.

Old Swimmer

We have a Honda 130 on our 18 foot boat. Have had the motor 3 years and I
have had no problems with it so far but I only use the boat
infrequently(sigh) .

A marina I often use has all their rental boats equipped with Hondas (90's
I think) and they say they have been the most trouble-free engine they have
used to date.

By the way last year Honda issued a recall on my engine account fuel/water
separator issues. The shop was really impressed with the recall kit Honda
provided as it was about $1500 (Can) worth of new parts including not only a
new separator but complete new fuel rail with injectors and all. By the way
when I initially bought the engine we installed an external fuel/water
separator just because I always thought that good practice, so we never had
any problems.

The engine is very quiet at idle and is less noisy than most at cruise and
above,

"Dan" wrote in message
Anyone with experience with Honda's 4 stroke engines. In particular, I am
interested in the 150 - 200 hp engines. Thanks!

Eisboch

Recently got a new boat (20' Scout "Sportsfish") with a Yamaha 200 hp 4
stroke.

Jury is still out, since I have only used the boat twice since I got it for
a total of maybe 3 hours.
Impressions so far a

1. Quiet.
2. Very Quiet.
3. Did it stall? (no)
4. Pushes the Scout easily in excess of 50 mph.
5. More to follow when I get a few more hours on it.

Eisboch

Tuning the engines Bob General 2 July 25th 03 01:16 AM
Evinrude 5hp 4 stroke outboard David Samuel General 1 July 20th 03 04:08 PM
Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke Eisboch General 1 July 14th 03 04:01 PM