Peter

Default 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke??

For what it's worth, my experience with a 6hp Nissan/Tohatsu is it revs
fast. Makes a pitch that loosens my fillings. Keep in mind it is the
same displacement as 4hp and 5 hp Tohatsu, both of which are reasonably
quiet. Do you really need 6 hp to push a Livingston 7.5 tender? 8 hp is
the max, perhaps the 5 hp will do fine?
I'd pick the 5hp Tohatsu over the 6hp because it runs at 1,000 fewer
rpms... Certainly the 5 hp Honda is sweet. The 6hp Suzuki revs almost as
fast as the Tohatsu, so I expect it have the high rev sound I hate.
Probably the 4hp Suzuki is not enough power in many cases. The 6hp
Yamaha is a 2 cylinder, and much larger displacement than these others.
I'll bet the 6hp Yamaha will be the quietest (which I like) and run the
smoothest (and is the most expensive).
Whatever you choose, I'd stay away from 2 strokes. These new 4 strokes
burn a lot less fuel and pollute a lot less (two good things) the weight
issue and power issue probably improve in the next year or two and most
2 strokes will be phased out in 2006. If I knew what the engines of 2006
have in store for us, I bet they will be impressive, but you need a
motor now... in that case, I'd say get the 5 hp Tohatsu (a good buy) and
make due with it for 2-3 years, then something far superior to the
choices we have today will be out is my hunch.

jeffo wrote:
Hello, Would a 6hp 4 stroke outboard (1 cyl) have equal or better
performance when compared to a 6hp 2 stroke (2 cyl) ? I'm replacing a 6hp
Yamaha on my Livingston 7.5 tender and was thinking of using a 6hp 4 stroke
Tohatsu.

Yamaha no longer makes the 6hp 2 stroke. Weight is a major concern. The
Yamaha 8hp. 2 stroke is still available but about $300 more than the 6hp
Tohatsu 4 stroke so I'd go for the Tohatsu if perfomance were similar.

I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Jeff
Kalama, WA