calhoun

Default old 2 stroke oil mix

Hi,
I have a little used but good running early 1960s' 9.5 evenrude. The
original owners manual said to use 1qt 30w oil per 5 gallons gas. (16/1 I
believe?). I have been using the same mix but with modern (mercruiser) 2
stroke oil. I have read that the engines didn't change that much but the oil
changed a lot. I also have a newer 4 hp evenrude and a 2 hp Suzuki both
claim to use 200/1. I have always used 100/1 on them and even that seems
like to little oil to this old timer. Anyway can I use a "less oil" mix on
the old 9.5 as long as I use the mercuser oil. I am just trying to cut down
the smoke screen.
TIA

Clams Canino

I know on Mercs of that era you can use any TCW-3 at 50/1 for sure. From
like 1947 onward. L

Assuming your 60's Jonnyrude is built as well as a late 40's Merc (and it
prolly is) 50/1 outta be fine with todays oils.

I ran my late 80's motor on straight 30wt at 25/1 one day when I forgot to
bring oil. LOL

-W

"calhoun" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a little used but good running early 1960s' 9.5 evenrude. The
original owners manual said to use 1qt 30w oil per 5 gallons gas. (16/1 I
believe?). I have been using the same mix but with modern (mercruiser) 2
stroke oil. I have read that the engines didn't change that much but the

oil
changed a lot. I also have a newer 4 hp evenrude and a 2 hp Suzuki both
claim to use 200/1. I have always used 100/1 on them and even that seems
like to little oil to this old timer. Anyway can I use a "less oil" mix on
the old 9.5 as long as I use the mercuser oil. I am just trying to cut

down
the smoke screen.
TIA

del cecchi

OK, let's top post for fun. Wasn't there a discussion on this group a
while ago about oil mixtures in old motors in which it was mentioned
that some of those old motors had Plain Bearings somewhere, maybe in the
little end of the connecting rod, and needed the oil to keep them
working. Anyone remember more than that? Anyway, one might want to
consider whether that is in fact true and whether it would apply to the
motor in question.

del cecchi

"calhoun" wrote in message
[...]

Clams Canino

You're just angry LOL.

Yes he should consult a parts list to be *sure*. But I'd bet that since Merc
went to full needles in the late 40's that Jonnyrude *had* to have caught up
by the early 60's. I'd be shocked if they didn't - the competition was
fierce and bloody in those days.

-W

"calhoun" wrote in message
[...]

Trainfan1

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
Assuming your 60's Jonnyrude is built as well as a late 40's Merc (and it
prolly is) 50/1 outta be fine with todays oils.

Yes, the 9.5 is all needle bearings. I use 1 pint in a 5 gallon poly can
and top it off for a total of 5.7 or 5.8 gallons so it is a little rich. At
the cost of outboards today, I'll put up with a little smoke screen to save
the big bucks. I wouldn't run any outboard on 100/1, though. 50/1 is a lot
safer.

Rob
*
*
*

Wwj2110

I had a 56 evinrude OB that called for 16:1.
Thinking that the oil had improved, I ran it on 50:1. It siezed after a full
season. Not exactly sure why , but I have my suspicions.

evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM
what is the right spark plug for a 25 hp johnson/evenrude 2 stroke mike General 2 September 3rd 03 10:00 AM
Suzuki 140 hp 4 stroke PMusto General 1 August 27th 03 04:19 PM
Honda 4 stroke engines Dan General 11 August 13th 03 02:25 PM
Evinrude 5hp 4 stroke outboard David Samuel General 1 July 20th 03 04:08 PM