posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:13:14 -0800, ajw wrote:

I am a member of a Scuba diving club and we are investigating replacing
our outboard engines.

We currently have two Zodiac 5m inflatable boats (not RIBs) with 40HP 2
stroke Mariner outboards. These are reaching the end of their lives and
we are looking at replacing them.

With the new legislation coming in we are looking at 2 stroke vs 4
stroke. I am aware that few people use 4 strokes on inflatables and
fewer would manhandle them down beaches removing and replacing them
daily as we do.

4 strokes are more efficient, reliable, quieter, and cleaner than 2
strokes, but they are heavier. However, a newer 4 stroke may be lighter
than an older 2 stroke. So look at specs when you shop.

I believe there are newer 2 strokes that meet environmental
regs -- I don't know about in your size/power range though.

Comparing specs is one thing, but consider what's available to you
locally, parts and service wise. Everything's a compromise.

Does anyone have any experience of using 4 strokes on inflatable boats
in this way? Are there any implcations to the angle you can carry/store
them?

The small Hondas I've used can be laid on their side indefinitely. I
don't know about larger ones.

Matt O.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

Arturo Ui wrote:
snip
My club has recently bought a 5m rib with a 4-stroke 40 on the back to
'patrol' the races. Its nice, but the engine IS heavy, is more
economical, less fast, more quiet (See a pattern here?) My only gripe
is that once you've rescued someone, with the rescued dinghy alongside
and 3 people on board, the thing won't plane.

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather you didn't do 25kts with my
dinghy alongside... reminds me of a story I once heard of someone who
was towed in by an RAF launch...

However 40 doesn't seem an awful lot for a 5m RIB full of divers and
tanks. It seems to me if you get a bigger motor you won't have to run
it flat out all the time, so it'll last longer too. Not that I know a
lot about these things.

Andy
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:46:02 -0500, "Scotty"

wrote:

My Honda 8HP had to be laid down a specific way.

SBV

Did you find that a small inconvenience, or an

insurmountable obstacle, Scotty?

neither. it was no big deal. Do you think it would be for
you?

Is it more of a nuisance than having to carefully measure

and mix oil into the
gas, and keep it in a separate container for a 2-stroke

motor?

it was less of a nuisance than you are. I have several 2
stroke engines around here, so there's always a jug of pre
mix handy.

HTH
SBV

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

4 strokes are great for a lot of reasons, but if fuel quality is
questionable, they can be more trouble than 2 strokes. I've had fuel
problems with a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke, and an ob mechanic said water or trash
caused more problems w/4 strokes because of the smaller jets.

[...]

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:05:31 -0500, "Scotty"

wrote:

-0500, "Scotty"
wrote:

My Honda 8HP had to be laid down a specific way.

SBV

Did you find that a small inconvenience, or an

insurmountable obstacle, Scotty?

neither. it was no big deal. Do you think it would be for
you?

.
No. Not at all. My car requires that I park it right side

up as well. I've never
considered that a problem.

I'm surprised that you own a car.

SBV

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

One of the things to avoid in laying a motor down is to get the prop higher than
the
engine head. In that case, water from the lower unit can seep up to the head
and
eventually cause the cylinders to seize up. Oil spillage is messy, but doesn't
result
in a very expensive repair job.

Sherwin D.

ajw wrote:

Hi

I am a member of a Scuba diving club and we are investigating replacing
our outboard engines.

We currently have two Zodiac 5m inflatable boats (not RIBs) with 40HP 2
stroke Mariner outboards. These are reaching the end of their lives and
we are looking at replacing them.

With the new legislation coming in we are looking at 2 stroke vs 4
stroke. I am aware that few people use 4 strokes on inflatables and
fewer would manhandle them down beaches removing and replacing them
daily as we do.

Does anyone have any experience of using 4 strokes on inflatable boats
in this way? Are there any implcations to the angle you can carry/store
them?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Anthony Whittaker

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:43:49 -0500, Larry wrote:

Yes. In any engine with loose lube oil inside it, you can only tilt,
carry and store it in certain locations.

They ship 4 stroke Mercs "wet". Mine came in with everything ready to
go but the gasoline. I am not sure how they keep truckers from storing
them any damn way they want.

Label "this way up" ? :-)

ChrisR

"chris" chris at yachtsmen.co.uk wrote:

wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:43:49 -0500, Larry wrote:

Yes. In any engine with loose lube oil inside it, you can only tilt,
carry and store it in certain locations.

They ship 4 stroke Mercs "wet". Mine came in with everything ready to
go but the gasoline. I am not sure how they keep truckers from storing
them any damn way they want.

Label "this way up" ? :-)

Exactly. And this can be "enforced" by means of cheap sand-based
indicators which can be affixed to the box, from which you can tell
whether the box has been other than the right way up. If it has,
you refuse to accept delivery and the carrier gets sued by the sender.