posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

One of the things to avoid in laying a motor down is to get the prop higher than
the
engine head. In that case, water from the lower unit can seep up to the head
and
eventually cause the cylinders to seize up. Oil spillage is messy, but doesn't
result
in a very expensive repair job.

Sherwin D.

ajw wrote:

Hi

I am a member of a Scuba diving club and we are investigating replacing
our outboard engines.

We currently have two Zodiac 5m inflatable boats (not RIBs) with 40HP 2
stroke Mariner outboards. These are reaching the end of their lives and
we are looking at replacing them.

With the new legislation coming in we are looking at 2 stroke vs 4
stroke. I am aware that few people use 4 strokes on inflatables and
fewer would manhandle them down beaches removing and replacing them
daily as we do.

Does anyone have any experience of using 4 strokes on inflatable boats
in this way? Are there any implcations to the angle you can carry/store
them?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Anthony Whittaker