posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor
Andy Champ Andy Champ is offline

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

Arturo Ui wrote:
snip
My club has recently bought a 5m rib with a 4-stroke 40 on the back to
'patrol' the races. Its nice, but the engine IS heavy, is more
economical, less fast, more quiet (See a pattern here?) My only gripe
is that once you've rescued someone, with the rescued dinghy alongside
and 3 people on board, the thing won't plane.

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather you didn't do 25kts with my
dinghy alongside... reminds me of a story I once heard of someone who
was towed in by an RAF launch...

However 40 doesn't seem an awful lot for a 5m RIB full of divers and
tanks. It seems to me if you get a bigger motor you won't have to run
it flat out all the time, so it'll last longer too. Not that I know a
lot about these things.

Andy