posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

Inno wrote:
Mail sorters I know have this game: every day they find the parcel
with the most FRAGILE stickers and play football with it...

Too bad some supervisor couldn't catch them, show them the door and give
the jobs to someone who'd appreciate same.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

It's called taking pride in your job. Contrary to what you might think about
truckers most of Us take pride in what we do and do it safely and
curtiously. I deliver sensitive electronics and computers for 10 years and
never had a damage claim ever, something I'm proud to be able to boast. And
so You know usually it's the guys in the warehouse that don't give a damn
and throw the stuff on the truck any ole way they can mostly union
employee's, so blame them not the truckers.
wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:43:49 -0500, Larry wrote:

Yes. In any engine with loose lube oil inside it, you can only tilt,
carry and store it in certain locations.

They ship 4 stroke Mercs "wet". Mine came in with everything ready to
go but the gasoline. I am not sure how they keep truckers from storing
them any damn way they want.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:46:02 -0500, Scotty wrote:

My Honda 8HP had to be laid down a specific way.

Better than not being able to be laid down at all.

Matt O.

Chi Chi wrote:

It's called taking pride in your job. Contrary to what you might think about
truckers most of Us take pride in what we do and do it safely and
curtiously. I deliver sensitive electronics and computers for 10 years and
never had a damage claim ever, something I'm proud to be able to boast. And
so You know usually it's the guys in the warehouse that don't give a damn
and throw the stuff on the truck any ole way they can mostly union
employee's, so blame them not the truckers.

Trouble is, you work in a job where a small minority of people ruin
things for everyone else.

Just think what life must be like for an honest Gipsy.

Andy

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:46:02 -0500, Scotty wrote:

My Honda 8HP had to be laid down a specific way.

Better than not being able to be laid down at all.

I stored it for Winter standing up in my garage on a wall
bracket. Takes less room that way.

SBV

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.

"Chi Chi" wrote in message
. com...
It's called taking pride in your job. Contrary to what you

might think about
truckers most of Us take pride in what we do and do it

safely and
curtiously. I deliver sensitive electronics and computers

for 10 years and
never had a damage claim ever, something I'm proud to be

able to boast.

Not a bad record, so far, rookie.

SBV

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor

"Garland Gray II" wrote in
:

4 strokes are great for a lot of reasons, but if fuel quality is
questionable, they can be more trouble than 2 strokes. I've had fuel
problems with a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke, and an ob mechanic said water or
trash caused more problems w/4 strokes because of the smaller jets.

Also, if you look back at the "good ol' days", remember when
"winterizing" the old 2-stroker meant hauling it up the dock and putting
it in the garage until spring? When you took it out in spring, just as
greasy as you put it away, it wasn't all rusted up coated with oil like
it always was. You poured PREMIX gas into it and drove away.

We have a Nissan 8hp 4-stroker for a Foldabote 12 on Lionheart. The carb
has been apart a few times, now, because it had raw gas in it that
evaporated into solid shellac, plugging the jets so it wouldn't start.
This wasn't an issue with the old PREMIX 2-stroker because the oil in the
gas DIDN'T evaporate and kept the stuff left in the carbs in LIQUID form
the new gas would simply remix with and away we went. My little Yamaha 3
with the gas tank on top is like that, too. It was stored for years and
the premix still kept it from solidifying to shellac.

Changing the oil on a marina dock or sailboat STILL sucks, too....

As to the 100:1 oilers...no thanks. 50:1 is too thin to oil crankcase
bearings, no matter now much greenies and the EPA hype it. When I sold
my 1997 Mercury Sport Jet 175hp-powered Sea Rayder, all 6 cylinders were
within 5 pounds of their original compression and ran great on 40:1
PREMIX, the troublesome Mercury plastic oil injection pump and system
having been removed as soon as I found out about the 2nd recall blowing
powerheads with NO LUBRICATION. That boat's still running and the engine
had well over 1000 hours on it....on PREMIX.

Larry
--
According to EPA, all lakes that have had 2-stroke engines running in
them for the last 100 years must be 6" deep in motor oil. See it?

"Don White" wrote in message
Inno wrote:
Mail sorters I know have this game: every day they find the parcel
with the most FRAGILE stickers and play football with it...

Too bad some supervisor couldn't catch them, show them the door and give
the jobs to someone who'd appreciate same.

Wouldn't make any difference if he did. The union wouldn't let him.

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Inno wrote:

Mail sorters I know have this game: every day they find the parcel
with the most FRAGILE stickers and play football with it...

Too bad some supervisor couldn't catch them, show them the door and give
the jobs to someone who'd appreciate same.

Wouldn't make any difference if he did. The union wouldn't let him.

....and who do you think gave the union absolute protection...inept
management?