posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

"Larry" wrote in message
"KLC Lewis" wrote in
:

I'm all for energy-independence, but I cannot believe that oil wells
on our Great Lakes would be a good idea. Oil spills from rigs on the
oceans are bad enough -- but similar spills on the Lakes would be
disasterous.

Some of the finest fishing on the planet is right under those oil rigs in
the Gulf of Mexico....a whole new ecosystem that's just thriving....
all the way to the bottom!

http://www.thejump.net/fishingarticl...gged-reefs.htm
http://www.marshmission.com/coastal_...t/volume12.htm
http://www.gomr.mms.gov/homepg/regul...viron/rigs-to-
reefs/information.html
....to name a few.

Larry
--
Guess what I want to do with the Little Drummer Boy's drum
by Christmas Eve....rrrrump..pa-pum...pum...up his bum....

Sure, plant the rigs as artificial reefs and don't drill. That's fine with
me.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor

Matt Colie wrote:
snip

(Canada has wells in most of the great
lakes - we aren't allowed to, Cuba will soon be using Chinese
investment to drill under the Florida straight - we can't do that either.)

snip..

Never heard of Canada drilling the Great Lakes for oil.
Can you let us know where you found that info.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor
Ryk Ryk is offline

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:47:57 -0600, in message

"KLC Lewis" wrote:

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
Why do they make noise about dependence on foreign oil and not let anybody
go get what we have. (Canada has wells in most of the great lakes - we
aren't allowed to, Cuba will soon be using Chinese investment to drill
under the Florida straight - we can't do that either.)

Matt Colie - environmentally conscious but educated and realistic

I'm all for energy-independence, but I cannot believe that oil wells on our
Great Lakes would be a good idea. Oil spills from rigs on the oceans are bad
enough -- but similar spills on the Lakes would be disasterous.

Whose Great Lakes? Keep in mind that we share them with the US. Or are
you posting from the US and speaking only of Lake Michigan?

There's already plenty of wellheads under Lake Erie where the shallow
depths make drilling quite easy and Lake Erie is in way better shape
than it was 40 years ago.

Ryk

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor
Ryk Ryk is offline

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:08:53 GMT, in message

Don White wrote:

Matt Colie wrote:
snip

(Canada has wells in most of the great
lakes - we aren't allowed to, Cuba will soon be using Chinese
investment to drill under the Florida straight - we can't do that either.)

snip..

Never heard of Canada drilling the Great Lakes for oil.
Can you let us know where you found that info.

I think most of the wellheads in Lake Erie are gas wells, but a quick
look at the chart will show plenty of evidence of past drilling.

Ryk

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:08:53 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Matt Colie wrote:
snip

(Canada has wells in most of the great
lakes - we aren't allowed to, Cuba will soon be using Chinese
investment to drill under the Florida straight - we can't do that either.)

snip..

Never heard of Canada drilling the Great Lakes for oil.
Can you let us know where you found that info.

There are a few gas wells in lake Erie but I'm not aware of any oil
wells either.

"KLC Lewis" wrote:

I'm all for energy-independence, but I cannot believe that oil wells on
our
Great Lakes would be a good idea. Oil spills from rigs on the oceans are
bad
enough -- but similar spills on the Lakes would be disasterous.

Whose Great Lakes? Keep in mind that we share them with the US. Or are
you posting from the US and speaking only of Lake Michigan?

There's already plenty of wellheads under Lake Erie where the shallow
depths make drilling quite easy and Lake Erie is in way better shape
than it was 40 years ago.

Ryk

By "our Great Lakes," I was referring to humanity. But, of humanity,
naturally Americans come first. Just ask any of our politicians.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor

KLC,

I don't like the thought of spills either, but three Canadian companies
have a total of 450+ wells for both oil and natural gas in Lake Erie
alone. They seem to manage just fine (with gear and technology from
American suppliers).

Recently, I was told by someone that has studied these problems for many
years that most of the oil on Lake Erie comes from untrapped storm
drains. The last big one was the Rouge River about three years ago.

We have the opportunity to correct a lot of problems if we pick the real
ones instead of the "politically correct" ones.

This has been my problem with the "evironmental movement" since they
forced cars to get much reduced fuel economy in favor of maginally
reduced tailpipe emissions. Remember the early cat cars of the mid
seventies?

Matt

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Matt Colie" wrote in message

Why do they make noise about dependence on foreign oil and not let anybody
go get what we have. (Canada has wells in most of the great lakes - we
aren't allowed to, Cuba will soon be using Chinese investment to drill
under the Florida straight - we can't do that either.)

Matt Colie - environmentally conscious but educated and realistic

I'm all for energy-independence, but I cannot believe that oil wells on our
Great Lakes would be a good idea. Oil spills from rigs on the oceans are bad
enough -- but similar spills on the Lakes would be disasterous.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor

Don,

Apart from being personal friends with the people that do this (they
sail out of La Salle Marines and Cedar Beach clubs, I can point you to
NOAA chart 14830. Down load it and look at the area east of the Pelee
Pennisula. The meatball in crosshairs is a mark that indicates a
wellhead, the dash with dot lines between them are submarine pipelines.
If you go farther east (14820) and look east of Port Stanley there are
more - but I don't sail there. Remember, each marked well head could
possibly have a dozen actual well pipes - each drilled without incident.

For the last three seasons we have all been watching a new rig working
at about N04148.500W08233.300 (location is appoximate from my log). I
was told by Canadian friends that this is a multi drill natural gas well
that will be drilling for another 10 years. Then the wells will be
capped below ice level and marked with a tower. Is makes a wonderful
refence when racing through Pelee Passage at night.

Matt

Don White wrote:

Matt Colie wrote:
snip

(Canada has wells in most of the great

lakes - we aren't allowed to, Cuba will soon be using Chinese
investment to drill under the Florida straight - we can't do that
either.)

snip..

Never heard of Canada drilling the Great Lakes for oil.
Can you let us know where you found that info.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor

Referenced in the article at the link below is a group called
Public Interest Research Group in Michigan. In years past, these people
performed a nobel and valuable function. In recent years they have been
completely over run in their environment faction by the "people are
evil" crowd that will oppose any action that might change the world away
from primevil forest.

They define a major oil spill as more than can cleaned up with a single
tissue.

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 01:56:19 GMT,
(Drew