posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

Larry wrote:
wrote in :

It certainly smells bad.

I guess it was in my youth......

Every time I get a whiff of 2-stroke exhaust going by the dock, I have a
flashback to the mid 1950's. I can hear and smell that Evinrude Sportwin
7.5 as my grandfather, Jack, and I are headed back to the lake inlet to
refill Granny's freezer with more fish from that hole Gramps knows about
between two Weeping Willows along the East bank about .6 miles from its
mouth into the lake.

I also VIVIDLY remember tossing his brand new mushroom anchor into the
hole, exactly like he told me to do....without a LINE tied onto it....and
crying all the way home while he was laughing and couldn't wait to tell my
grandmother.

Nope....Two stroke exhaust, to me, is one of the sweetest smelling
fragrances on the planet.....

I know what you mean, I don't care so much for the smell of 2 stroke
exhaust, but the smell of engine exhaust in general reminds me of
tinkering with lawnmowers and other small engines when I was a kid. I'm
the same way with the smell of a hot soldering iron, makes me think of
things I love doing. I can certainly see how both smells would be putrid
to someone with no interest in the subject though.