gonefishiing

hey i thought the dog thing was a different thread?

speaking of dogs: my daughter lives with me 1/2 time and is hell bent on
getting a dog (13 yo)
found/ keep finding post-its with words related to dogs on them
in the cupboards, on the windows, in the refrig. etc.

you seem to have some knowledge of dogs so here goes:
any idea what kind of dog i can get that can feed itself, go for a walk, and
be left in charge of the office for say a week at a time?
one that is protective of place and can do something about it would help
keep in mind, it needs to be an urban kind of dog (whatever that means)
space ain't an issue--i live/work in a loft--figure it can get its exercise
by running the length of this place
if it likes the water and goes sailing all the better.

how about a dog rental program for a month at a time?

any ideas?
gf.

"katysails" wrote in message

cannot understand why they would choose to
approach so closely..

Same reason why a dog licks its' butt...because they can....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Scott Vernon

Don't get a dog if you can't take proper care of it.
Stop spoiling your kid.
Running around an apartment is not proper exersize.

SV

"katysails" wrote in message

cannot understand why they would choose to
approach so closely..

Same reason why a dog licks its' butt...because they can....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should

relax

---

Scott Vernon

Rule of Tonnage.

SV

rambled on incessantly...

Granted, in the L.I.S. area to which you refer, some sailers behave
otherwise and, apparently especially on Wed. or Thurs. racing

nights,
occasonally challenges the tug/barge or freigher (with resulting
whistle-blowing and frustrated commercial captains screaming on the
VHF). But for those who want to continue to sail "a lot" at night
(and, for that matter, during the day) in that area, the better
"assumption" for you would have been your answer to the question:

If both other boats do not see me (even if I believe they do see me)
and if both also alter their course so that they will be headed
directly for me if I don't alter my course, where in light of what I
do see ought I go to avoid a collision?

Jeff Morris

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
hey i thought the dog thing was a different thread?

speaking of dogs: my daughter lives with me 1/2 time and is hell bent on
getting a dog (13 yo)
found/ keep finding post-its with words related to dogs on them
in the cupboards, on the windows, in the refrig. etc.

you seem to have some knowledge of dogs so here goes:
any idea what kind of dog i can get that can feed itself, go for a walk, and
be left in charge of the office for say a week at a time?

A cat. A week is a long time - we leave our cats for 3-4 days. Longer than
that we have a friend or neighbor drop by just to make sure they didn't lock
themselves in a closet.

If we go sailing for more than about 4 days they come with us.

The dog, however, can't be left unattended for more than 8 hours, and even
that's a stretch.

one that is protective of place and can do something about it would help
keep in mind, it needs to be an urban kind of dog (whatever that means)
space ain't an issue--i live/work in a loft--figure it can get its exercise
by running the length of this place
if it likes the water and goes sailing all the better.

how about a dog rental program for a month at a time?

Find a neighbor with a dog that travels and needs a dog-sitter.

Jonathan Ganz

Oh, sorry, not above freighters... I was talking above just about
everything else.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I don't suppose you have a reference for that. I know SF has a large

restricted
area, but I've never seen anything that gives tows status above freighters
except the RAM rule.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
That's not true on the SF bay. Tugs with barges have stand on.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Not knowing the area, I have a couple of comments.

I'm not sure you were stand on, given that if there is
any doubt about draft constraint. Also, a tug and
a barge have status in most cases, but again, I don't
know the area.

The tow has no special status unless it declares itself a RAM

(Restricted
Ability to Maneuver) and displays the appropraite lights in addition

the tow
lights..

Jonathan Ganz

Hey, umm... if the engine was started then you're a motorboat.
You have no status at that point, certainly not above a tug/tow.
I hope you were running your steaming light. Otherwise, you
could be cited.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
agreed: for the sake of safety, i always stay away from bigger vessels and
did so on this sail as well, until the tug/barge (TUB) changed course for
the
final time. i was certain i was ok with both vessels until the barge

circled
around and was pointing at me again leaving me no evasive action to take.

neither vessel produced any indication of warning that i was in the way
(lights / horn)

agreed again: i realize i should have hailed them on the radio and asked

for
they're intentions long before events became close.
definitely mistake no.1.
Sometimes i do this, sometimes i don't. it has always been a simple
assesment of whether i believe i will be out of the way. and i did believe
this.
monitoring channel 13 for security calls is also something that i usually

do
at night.
this night i did not.

the engine was started and idling by in case i needed it.
in regards to avoiding a collision, given the speed differentials of the
vessels, i don't believe the engine would have made any difference in this
situation.
in regards to the regs: it would have converted me to a vessel under power
and i think (?) changed my status to some extent in relation to the 2

other
vessels. not that my decision was based on that or that it really does not
matter once fiberglass contacts steel.
the point being i was making good speed in good wind.

given that the tug/barge changed course twice: was he obligated to give

way?
or is this a "fluid" problem that needs to be constantly

reassessed?--which
means always stay out of his way no matter what courses he chooses?
felt like a cat and mouse sort of thing.

as a technical point: their seems to be a difference between an inablitiy

maneuver because of draft, in a particular direction--versus the general
maneuverablity of a vessel because of length/speed/wieght.
i am not sure these 2 issues are connected by the regs.
as i understand it, constrained by draft is designed to prevent a vessel
from running aground.
in this regard there was no danger to the freighter who had plenty of room
to the south, which was his general route.
the tub could not turn towards the north to cross in front of me because

of
draft and speed issues, and he could not turn south because of the
freighter, which left him pointed at me.

my guess is not i or the freighter anticipated a circling tub.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Not knowing the area, I have a couple of comments.

I'm not sure you were stand on, given that if there is
any doubt about draft constraint. Also, a tug and
a barge have status in most cases, but again, I don't
know the area.

Also, why not hail them and ask their intentions?

Finally, while sailing does give you stand on status
in many circumstances, it also limits your ability to
take evasive action. Perhaps it would have been
prudent to start the engine?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
out for a late night sail last week, which i do a lot of.
western edge of long island sound, ny
on a port tack heading southwest towards the throgs neck bridge.
slack tide.
particulary dark night.
full main and jib set
15 knots wind

keeping a vigilant eye out for ships, i spot a black form against the

lights
of the city in front of me and realize it is a tug and barge and i

also
realize (in the absence of visible nav lights) his small profile means

he
is
headed right at me and steaming.

i decide to tack the boat around 180 degrees and give him some
room........assuming (correctly) his course has 2 possiblities--he is

going
to continue eastbound in the sound or he is going to turn north

towards
eastchester bay to anchor his barge (partial mistake no.1?). he turns
northeast towards the barge anchorage, paralleling my course and i am

east
of him and the barge anchorage- out of his way.

towards the east i spot another ship (freighter) steaming westbound

for
the
gate. he is north of the lane that most of the commerical ships take

for
the
bridge. and a quick visual calculation tells me i can cross his bow

without
problem and also because he needs to turn behind my stern to set his

course
for the bridge (and soon!) (partial mistake no.2?)

they are both aware that i am here-- million candle power lights
illuminating sails had a way of doing that. (my light)

1: the freighter, westbound, is not turning although i have crossed

his
bow--only slightly and he'll end up passing beyond me, far too close

and
moving fast.
2: the tug/barge decides to steer a circle around the barge anchorage

and
end up eastbound again --off my port beam and close enough that i can

see
the pilot. he has slowed down significantly at this point as i am now
between both vessels. (on a starboard tack)

3: they both passed "safely" at my stern, to the south of me the

freigher
first, the tug next.

this was really too close for comfort, and i had my hands full

sailing.
not to negate my responsiblity, i think constrained by draft here is a
relative term, if it even applies. they each had a mile of room to the

south
(behind me) to manuveur and cannot understand why they would choose to
approach so closely, as my actions were clear, my course was

appropriate
and
consistent and meant to give each a wide berth

and for whatever it may be worth, i think everyone took the correct

actions
i believe i was the stand on vessel
the freighter was 2nd in pecking order
the tug/barge gave way

what would you have done differently?

gf.

Jonathan Ganz

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
hey i thought the dog thing was a different thread?

speaking of dogs: my daughter lives with me 1/2 time

Ummm...

and is hell bent on
getting a dog (13 yo)

OIC

gonefishiing

have had dogs before so i understand what it takes to be responsible
nothing to do with "spoiling my kid"--have not decided one way or the other
it's up for consideration
yeah i know dogs need fresh air, grass, and trees
how about bus exhaust, concrete, and fire hydrants
gf.

"katysails" wrote in message

cannot understand why they would choose to
approach so closely..

Same reason why a dog licks its' butt...because they can....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should

relax

---

Jeff Morris

Nope. The engine has to be in gear; what if it was just be run to charge
batteries, or if it was started but not warmed up?

Of course, if you had an engine but didn't use it to avoid a collision, you'd
have 'splaing to do. And if you were powering you can't slip it into neutral
and suddenly claim rights as a sailboat. This is one of those grey areas where
you'll never get an answer from the CG.

[...]

JAXAshby

ganz, the whole posting was bogus. a piece of fiction.